Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 plug in EVSE charger in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Just ordered one, the EVSE J1172 charger for outside that plugs into my (also outside) Nema 14-50 plug. Made by Eaton. $872 Cnd. I have a Tesla and have just left my portable 14-50 adaptor plugged into it for other's use, but am just trying to be nicer to the other EV users in the town, as I don't charge and it looks kind of pompous to only put out the mat for Tesla's.

Re winter etc.? I will let you know.

CCS

I Just ordered one, the EVSE J1172 charger for outside that plugs into my (also outside) Nema 14-50 plug. Made by Eaton. $872 Cnd. I have a Tesla and have just left my portable 14-50 adaptor plugged into it for other's use, but am just trying to be nicer to the other EV users in the town, as I don't charge and it looks kind of pompous to only put out the mat for Tesla's.

Re winter etc.? I will let you know.

CCS
How many amps is the Eaton? Oh and is it CSA approved?

I have an outside outlet with a cover that opens upwards so it protects the outlet and it is under an overhead eave as well.

Yes, A weatheproof while in use cover is now required in the 2016 Canadian Electrical code. Here's an example of a NEMA 14-50R from Midwest Electric - U054
de15f409-70ad-4fb5-82f6-4e7f206fab3c_400.jpg

Phillip L
It is 30 amp, and is UL and cETL approved (obviously the later giving it the go here) It is also rebate approved by ON gov. Bought it on plugndrive.ca
I have looked on plugndrive and noticed 4 possibilities, all at 30 amps. The Eaton at $865 and the Siemens at $850 were comparably priced. The Leviton was much more expensive at $1100 and the Aerovironment was off the map at $1450. I also looked at the Sun Country Highway site and the have a 40 amp plug in, the EV40P, for $1019 which I am really considering because of the added power plus I have used many of their evse's in Canada and they seem pretty robust.

What were your shipping costs from plugndrive?

I've been using an OpenEVSE for about a year and it works great!
OpenEVSE Kit - 50A Deluxe

They are also very reasonably priced. (As low as US$224 plus cables)
I put a 50 amp stove cord on my to fit a 14-50 socket so I can move it to different locations (I have four different 14-50 sockets installed).
Looks intriguing. Thanks. But I actually think it would not qualify for the rebate from the Ontario government of up to $500.00.

Last edited: