TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NEMA 14-50 plug in EVSE charger in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phillip L, May 14, 2016.

1. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

Has anybody in Canada, with our harsh winters, used an EVSE charger that is Canadian vitrified, that plugged into an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet instead of being directly wired into the circuit. If so, which make, and how does it stand up to the elements?

2. Not an Ice

Not an Ice Member

I Just ordered one, the EVSE J1172 charger for outside that plugs into my (also outside) Nema 14-50 plug. Made by Eaton. $872 Cnd. I have a Tesla and have just left my portable 14-50 adaptor plugged into it for other's use, but am just trying to be nicer to the other EV users in the town, as I don't charge and it looks kind of pompous to only put out the mat for Tesla's.

Re winter etc.? I will let you know.

CCS

3. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

How many amps is the Eaton? Oh and is it CSA approved?

4. BBone

BBone Member

Hi I bought this one from Elmec for my Tesla and it worked great this past winter in Toronto. Elmec is a Canadian manufacturer and they claim that it is winter tested in Quebec. EVDUTY-40 Charging station - 208-240 volts, 30 amps

Website says 30 amps. Not sure re CSA. But it's from Quebec and seems to work ok.

5. BBone

BBone Member

One more thing. I think they have enclosures that are appropriate NEMA rated if you need outside mounting.

6. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

I have an outside outlet with a cover that opens upwards so it protects the outlet and it is under an overhead eave as well.

7. Not an Ice

Not an Ice Member

Phillip L
    It is 30 amp, and is UL and cETL approved (obviously the later giving it the go here) It is also rebate approved by ON gov. Bought it on plugndrive.ca

8. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Yes, A weatheproof while in use cover is now required in the 2016 Canadian Electrical code. Here's an example of a NEMA 14-50R from Midwest Electric - U054
    [​IMG]

9. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

I have looked on plugndrive and noticed 4 possibilities, all at 30 amps. The Eaton at $865 and the Siemens at $850 were comparably priced. The Leviton was much more expensive at $1100 and the Aerovironment was off the map at $1450. I also looked at the Sun Country Highway site and the have a 40 amp plug in, the EV40P, for $1019 which I am really considering because of the added power plus I have used many of their evse's in Canada and they seem pretty robust.

What were your shipping costs from plugndrive?

10. Not an Ice

Not an Ice Member

Phillip L
    there was no shipping costs, it was advertised cost plus HST

Had it installed today

11. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

12. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I've been using an OpenEVSE for about a year and it works great!
    OpenEVSE Kit - 50A Deluxe

They are also very reasonably priced. (As low as US$224 plus cables)
    I put a 50 amp stove cord on my to fit a 14-50 socket so I can move it to different locations (I have four different 14-50 sockets installed).

13. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

#13 Phillip L, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Looks intriguing. Thanks. But I actually think it would not qualify for the rebate from the Ontario government of up to $500.00.