TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NEMA 14-50 Plug Install Price

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Johnny Mac, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Member

Just had a 75 foot run of wire done and install of a 60amp breaker with the NEMA 14-50 plug for charging. Paid $295 for labor and material. I thought that was a very reasonable price. Just getting opinions of others what you paid if you ran the same type connections.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

Damn, that is a GREAT price. Mine for a similar run was MUCH higher. I got 3 quotes, and the cheapest was $1,500. Shocked me...

3. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Most home are 100 amp breaker panel. Careful. Putting a 60 amps breaker leaving just 40 amps free to use for your other appliance can fried your entire panel.

• Disagree x 1
  4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You can’t use a 60A breaker with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. It’s dangerous. No wonder your installation was so cheap. I bet he wasn’t a licensed electrician, was he?

5. TexasEV

No most homes are not 100A panel. You’re missing the bigger danger of having a 60A breaker on what should be a 50A circuit.

6. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Yup I did my homework. Nema 14-50 needs to be on a 50 amps. Also #6 wire. Don't burn your home down. Only Mid and East cost folks has 200 amps panel. Luck folks...

7. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Most older home in Ca are 100 amps. Everything is bigger in Texas :)

8. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

I think there's a length limitation depending on the amps size. Not sure if 50 amps can handle 75 foot? I am no electrician but check on that as well.

9. cmaster

cmaster Member

80% of 60amps = 48 amps.....48 amps is the max he'll be able to run continuously without the breaker tripping. He certainly can use 60 amps breaker.

• Disagree x 1
  10. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Does it not build up at 60 amps and dial down slowly? In a perfect storm situation where the build up at 60 amps and it just so happen that you turn on your AC or other appliances exceeding your max panel of 100 amps, won't that trip the entire main panel? That is what I understand. Even if you put in your wall charger and dial it down to 40 amps the initial build up is 60 amps.

11. TexasEV

You’re missing the point. The outlet is for a 50A circuit. If there’s a problem, a 60A breaker won’t trip to prevent a fire. Electrical code exists for a reason.

12. cmaster

cmaster Member

Right. It will definitely violate NEC and insurance will most likely complain if they happen to find it out. Should upgrade to 70 amps circuit breaker.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. TexasEV

No. The max a Gen 1 UMC can draw is 40A and the max a Gen 2 UMC can draw is 32A with the 14-50 adapter. The car and UMC don’t know what size the breaker is and it doesn’t start up high and dial down the amps. This has nothing to do with the Wall Connector. It’s an outlet. The breaker size has to match the circuit and outlet. Oversizing the breaker is dangerous.

14. TexasEV

Please stop posting about this. Your thoughts are ignorant and dangerous.

• Like x 1
  15. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

16. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Thanks!

17. ponzu

ponzu Member

Good price, questionable specs.

Is a 75 foot wire mounted to the house in a conduit, or just that, wire? I had a guy offer me the following as a solution. Said he did this for homeowners who need extra juice every once in a while, such as for parties. He installs a new 50a breaker and runs a long wire from the electric panel, terminating in a weather-proof plug. Essentially, a permanent extension cord. When not needed, coil it up on the ground under the electric panel, or wrap it around a rack if desired. When needed, which for me would be once or twice a week, unroll and run it to where the car (or the party) is. I did not go for it, but he said it would be cheaper than any other option. Other options given how far my panel are about $900.

I feel this discussion will be all about safety and not really about the cost, which, obviously, you did good on.

18. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

@ TexasEV - Can I get your blessing on this. I am using Gen 2 UMC, #6 wire, 40 amps breaker. My panel is max out at 100 amps.
    The spec calls for a 50 amps breaker. I thought it would hog up 50 amps and dial down slowly. Therefore I am staying with 40 amps breaker. Is this okay or should I go with the 50 amps breaker?

19. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Member

I apologize for all the confusion in the post that was a typo on my part it is a 50 amp breaker

• Like x 3
  20. TexasEV

First off I’m not an electrician and I don’t think 240V circuits are a do-it-yourself project. But the Gen 2 UMC only pulls 32A so in that regard you should be OK with the 40A breaker. The problem comes when you sell the house and the next owner sees the 50A outlet and plugs a Gen 1 UMC or RV into it.