Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Plug Install Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an electrician coming tomorrow to install an NEMA 14-50 for me. With all the back and forth in this thread, I just want to make sure I'm understanding what I want to ask him to do (and make sure he does) - I want a 50 amp breaker and #6 wire - is that correct? Are there any other wire sizes (if that's the correct word) that can safely be used besides #6, just so I know my options if he's suggesting something else. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Leeclanual
How is it ignorant? You can have a 14-50 with a 70 amp breaker since it will provide 56 amps continuous?

He just needs to make sure the electrical wire rating meets the temp standard. And, the city or town inspectors can give him answers on what he is looking for. No need for an electrician.

Please stop posting about this. Your thoughts are ignorant and dangerous.

LOL. Who is the ignorant one in this forum when it's normal to ask the city/town electrical inspector for what he will be looking for? Where's Rich Rebuild when you need him? Should I display my 40 amp 240 volt NEC compliant install done by myself (not an electrician btw).

Always marking a disagree for my feedback.

I've got an electrician coming tomorrow to install an NEMA 14-50 for me. With all the back and forth in this thread, I just want to make sure I'm understanding what I want to ask him to do (and make sure he does) - I want a 50 amp breaker and #6 wire - is that correct? Are there any other wire sizes (if that's the correct word) that can safely be used besides #6, just so I know my options if he's suggesting something else. Thanks in advance.

Any wire size larger than #6 is still safe to use. (Larger diameters means smaller gauge numbers.) Be sure to stay with Copper wire. There are other wiring considerations, but using a #4 or larger is generally a waste of money, hence the reason for not doing so. There also comes a point where you will get to a wire diameter that will be physically too large for the terminals at both the breaker and NEMA 14-50. Just go with #6 and you will be fine. Your electrician will know what to do with one possible exception. Make sure he installs the NEMA 14-50 socket with the Ground Pin in the UP position - if you do not specify this, they occasionally get it wrong.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
I paid $1200 which was higher the most here. I live in Southern CA with 200amp Circuit (built in 1996). My electrician was on the Tesla recommended list and he said Tesla required certain things like (I think) pictures and details and permit. He said it was important not to over commit the 200amp. So my 50amp for the 14-50 was fine. He had to run from outside the garage directly inside and then via conduit to the center of the garage. It was a clean job and I was happy with the work. I might have gone with another electrician that had done other work for me but wanted much more (I was in shock since I thought 1200 was high). I may get a model 3 in the future and I he suggested a 14-30 would be best with my current load on the 200amp circuit. I could go with dual chargers instead of the 14-50 and share but I will make that decision later.

Model 3 scheduled for 7/22/18 delivery.

Licensed electricians quoted avg of $450 for NEMA 14-50, 25 foot 240v 6 gauge copper, and move things around in panel to add a 50amp double breaker. I have a panel that is crowded with 200amp service.

Tesla is quoting $750 for 25 foot run and NEMA 14-50 plus $500 for subpanel due to town code (according to their local master electrician) not allowing double pole breakers- they had originally said double breaker might be possible. They don’t charge until inspected. My town doesn’t seem to require inspection unless project includes a built in permit.

I appreciate any suggestions...thx

Model 3 scheduled for 7/22/18 delivery.

Licensed electricians quoted avg of $450 for NEMA 14-50, 25 foot 240v 6 gauge copper, and move things around in panel to add a 50amp double breaker. I have a panel that is crowded with 200amp service.

Tesla is quoting $750 for 25 foot run and NEMA 14-50 plus $500 for subpanel due to town code (according to their local master electrician) not allowing double pole breakers- they had originally said double breaker might be possible. They don’t charge until inspected. My town doesn’t seem to require inspection unless project includes a built in permit.

I appreciate any suggestions...thx

I see no reason option 1 won’t work ....do u plan on getting permits regardless ? If no permits ..opt 1 seems reasonable

Granted my plug is next to my panel (three feet of cable) but received four quotes:

Two electricians I found via Tesla.com - $1500, $1850
Two I found independently: $275, $325 (told them it was for an EV, not for a Tesla)

Good thing you shopped around!!! I think some of the Tesla.com folks have a fixed price.

I assume it is an apples to apples comparison, permit, inspection, etc?

Granted my plug is next to my panel (three feet of cable) but received four quotes:

Two electricians I found via Tesla.com - $1500, $1850
Two I found independently: $275, $325 (told them it was for an EV, not for a Tesla)
Yeah, that's pretty much true with MANY things. I got some quotes from Tesla.com for installing a HWPC and and or a 14-50 near my panel. Certainly, the tesla.com provided electricians were MUCH higher than anyone else. Even the 14-50 to power the HWPC (so not hard wiring it) was higher than any other.

The funny thing was that ONE of the tesla.com provided electricians gave me one quote and then I am near certain that when I contacted them directly and said "I'd like to just install a 14-50 for my company supplied BOLT", I got a price that was 225$ lower than the same quote for the 14-50 install from the tesla.com provided electrician quote. In our area, Bay Area, pricing is pretty high regardless, but I found an electrician locally who said he'd put in a 14-50 and upgrade the break and put it within 3ft of the main breaker panel for 250$, so that sounded pretty good to me.

Reactions: neroden
I ordered my Model 3 this past Friday night. Sent out a project for NEMA 14-50 install on Saturday via Thumbtack. Received a $450 and a $180 along with others asking for more details. The $180 guy came Sunday morning and installed the outlet with about a 20-ft run.

• Helpful
Reactions: mnevar