TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NEMA 14-50 Plug Orientation

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Chas F, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

I found an elegant solution for this. Bracket is from Pit Pal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I like. No sharp edges.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That was a kind of unofficial Canadian protocol back in the '60s. Someone once told me it was a sign that the wiring was done by a Union electrician. You rarely see it any more (typically ground pin on the bottom).

5. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

When My 6-50 (temporary until HPWC) was being installed, the electrician called me and asked whether I wanted ground pin on top or bottom. I checked TMC and told him top. Good electrician.

6. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

My 14-50 (which came with the house) was installed upside down. I simply shut off the cirucut, removed the front plate, unscrewed the plug mount and flipped it over. Reinstalled the mount and plate. Super easy, depending on your outlet housing (mind is a junction box in the drywall). I also got one of these racks for the cable:

Amazon.com: Racor SHR-1B SNAP2IT Hose Rack: Home Improvement

41T9mCI15zL.jpg

It works really well.

7. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I was told by my electricians that this is best modern practice even for 5-15s, and is done also in case something metal falls on top of a loose plug

...however, I was also told that it is traditional to install 5-15s with ground pin down, and that there are so many plugs which require it that they usually do it that way for houses even though it's not considered best practices. But they install everything else with ground pins up.

Of course, I have several appliances with 5-15 plugs which want the ground pins up, so their cords are kinked... Well, whatever....

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yup. I have all extension cords with all 4 orientations with ground pin down... up, down, left-90 deg, right-90 deg.

There are many electricians (and DIY'ers) who have taken off stainless steel outlet covers with plugs still plugged in and accidentally dropped them across the hot and neutral -- I've certainly done it. If a receptacle is getting a stainless steel cover, I will install it ground pin up every time. Murphy guarantees that a stainless steel cover will find a way to wedge itself between a plug and its receptacle so it will short it.

9. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

Thanks for the heads up and the link, that looks perfect! I'm going to order one right away.

This forum has been a terrific resource for great accessories like this that I've been really glad I ordered. I've also taken advantage of the links to: cargo nets, LED license plate bulbs, car mats, protective film for the 17" display. Now all I need is my car! My delivery windows starts in 4 days. :love:

10. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

I've seen some garage photos posted here with people using a tornado brand hook (easy to find at home depot)
    GO-108659-PRD-0.jpg

any concerns about kinkage? I bought one, but haven't installed it in the garage yet.

11. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

Thanks, I found it from someone else on this forum :)

Here is a shot of it installed:

photo.JPG

12. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

I just bought the same one! I think it was the next size up though. Won't be able to test it our for at least another couple of months though :crying:

13. Gino Bernardi

Gino Bernardi Member

I too found out about the upsidedowness of the plug and outlet after-the-fact. I wish i would have seen this thread sooner, but here is a rather nice solution. Kink removed! clips.jpg

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I like the red clips. Happen to have a link to where to get the online? Or maybe some brand and item info? Thanks.

15. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

I am having mined flipped. Don't like the way it bends the cable.

Attached Files:

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In the mean time, you may want to zip tie your cable to the downspout about a foot up from the outlet. That looks like a lot of strain on the connector...

17. tomanik

tomanik Member

Just finished this install on the weekend. Used double sided sticky tape to stick it to the 2x4, can remove if needed but I will have a spare for the car.

Plugphoto.JPG

18. ABVA

ABVA Member

I would like to test the installation before plugging my MS. Does anybody know how to test NEMA 14-50 after install? Any help is really appreciated

19. markb1

markb1 Active Member

You can use a multi meter to measure the voltage. Should be about 120 from neutral to either hot, and 240 from hot to hot. But the best test would be to have another Model S owner come by and try to charge.