Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Plug Orientation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found an elegant solution for this. Bracket is from Pit Pal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I install all outlets with ground on the top, so that if the weight of the plug starts tugging it out, it will expose the grounding conductor instead of the current-carrying conductors.

That was a kind of unofficial Canadian protocol back in the '60s. Someone once told me it was a sign that the wiring was done by a Union electrician. You rarely see it any more (typically ground pin on the bottom).

That was a kind of unofficial Canadian protocol back in the '60s. Someone once told me it was a sign that the wiring was done by a Union electrician. You rarely see it any more (typically ground pin on the bottom).

When My 6-50 (temporary until HPWC) was being installed, the electrician called me and asked whether I wanted ground pin on top or bottom. I checked TMC and told him top. Good electrician.

My 14-50 (which came with the house) was installed upside down. I simply shut off the cirucut, removed the front plate, unscrewed the plug mount and flipped it over. Reinstalled the mount and plate. Super easy, depending on your outlet housing (mind is a junction box in the drywall). I also got one of these racks for the cable:

Amazon.com: Racor SHR-1B SNAP2IT Hose Rack: Home Improvement

41T9mCI15zL.jpg

It works really well.

That's BS. I install all outlets with ground on the top, so that if the weight of the plug starts tugging it out, it will expose the grounding conductor instead of the current-carrying conductors.
I was told by my electricians that this is best modern practice even for 5-15s, and is done also in case something metal falls on top of a loose plug

There is no "official" direction to install receptacles - my home's 5-15 eceptacles are installed ground pin down, while my shop's are installed ground pin up (although I believe the UMC's expect ground pin down for the 5-15).
...however, I was also told that it is traditional to install 5-15s with ground pin down, and that there are so many plugs which require it that they usually do it that way for houses even though it's not considered best practices. But they install everything else with ground pins up.

Of course, I have several appliances with 5-15 plugs which want the ground pins up, so their cords are kinked... Well, whatever....

Of course, I have several appliances with 5-15 plugs which want the ground pins up, so their cords are kinked... Well, whatever....

Yup. I have all extension cords with all 4 orientations with ground pin down... up, down, left-90 deg, right-90 deg.

There are many electricians (and DIY'ers) who have taken off stainless steel outlet covers with plugs still plugged in and accidentally dropped them across the hot and neutral -- I've certainly done it. If a receptacle is getting a stainless steel cover, I will install it ground pin up every time. Murphy guarantees that a stainless steel cover will find a way to wedge itself between a plug and its receptacle so it will short it.

My 14-50 (which came with the house) was installed upside down. I simply shut off the cirucut, removed the front plate, unscrewed the plug mount and flipped it over. Reinstalled the mount and plate. Super easy, depending on your outlet housing (mind is a junction box in the drywall). I also got one of these racks for the cable:

Amazon.com: Racor SHR-1B SNAP2IT Hose Rack: Home Improvement

View attachment 16337

It works really well.

Thanks for the heads up and the link, that looks perfect! I'm going to order one right away.

This forum has been a terrific resource for great accessories like this that I've been really glad I ordered. I've also taken advantage of the links to: cargo nets, LED license plate bulbs, car mats, protective film for the 17" display. Now all I need is my car! My delivery windows starts in 4 days. :love:

Thanks for the heads up and the link, that looks perfect! I'm going to order one right away.

This forum has been a terrific resource for great accessories like this that I've been really glad I ordered. I've also taken advantage of the links to: cargo nets, LED license plate bulbs, car mats, protective film for the 17" display. Now all I need is my car! My delivery windows starts in 4 days. :love:

Thanks, I found it from someone else on this forum :)

Here is a shot of it installed:

photo.JPG