Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Plug Orientation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use a multi meter to measure the voltage. Should be about 120 from neutral to either hot, and 240 from hot to hot. But the best test would be to have another Model S owner come by and try to charge.

You'll probably need a multimeter with long probes... The prongs in a 14-50 are usually pretty deep.

Very honestly, it is really hard to screw up a NEMA 14-50 installation, especially when the Tesla is the appliance - since it doesn't use neutral. The Model S will confirm that a proper ground exists, and will show you the voltage between the two line conductors. Flashing red LED on the UMC = bad, car showing 120V = bad. Everything else is good. :)

They initially installed my plug upside down, used a 40 amp breaker, and 8-3 Cable… They ended up having to come out and redo the whole job. Glad I was a member of this forum so I knew the difference…

Anyway, I used a simple curtain rod hook (free from my junk drawer) to support the transformer and the Tesla brand hanger (25 bucks on their site) to hang it on.

TeslaChargingStation.jpg