Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Receptacle installation in Ottawa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently waiting for our M3 SR+ and trying to decide if I will install the 240V NEMA14-50 receptacle myself, or hire an electrician. I have received one estimate($1200), and waiting for another (who was guessing about $800) and finding it very expensive to install a 25 foot run to my garage. Has anyone in Ottawa found a reasonable electrician that charges $500 or less?

Doing it myself I paid ~$180 for the supplies (similar run length 40A 8/3) and the homeowners permit cost another $120. It's not hard if you have modest experience working with electrical and most (good) inspectors want to work with you to make sure your installation is safe (as oppose to failing you and walking away).

Reactions: Smytty
Do you have 200AMP service? The ESA gets all bent up with 100AMP panels and electric chargers.

I would also consider installing a 30AMP plug, there's no need for 50 AMP, the mobile charger max charge is 32AMP (40AMP breaker), but there's nothing wrong with using a 24AMP feed - (Dryer plug 30AMP breaker), that' plenty of juice
Going this route may get ESA off your back

See attached - 24AMP charging speed

Attachments

• IMG_1185.PNG
    IMG_1185.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Currently waiting for our M3 SR+ and trying to decide if I will install the 240V NEMA14-50 receptacle myself, or hire an electrician. I have received one estimate($1200), and waiting for another (who was guessing about $800) and finding it very expensive to install a 25 foot run to my garage. Has anyone in Ottawa found a reasonable electrician that charges $500 or less?
I’m a DIYer, but I had Joey from Power it up Electric do a panel upgrade for me. He was super easy to work with. Give him a try if you’re not willing to do it yourself.
I added 2 x 14-50s in my garage (1 on each side) to future proof a bit - I figured having an EV-ready garage might be good for resale, and when we replace our minivan, it will be with a PHEV at a minimum, and we’ll need a plug for that.

How expensive was Power It Up?
Well, I had him replace the whole 100a panel with a new 200a panel, as well as replace all the CBs, so it was pretty expensive. The Ottawa hydro research/permit and connect/disconnect fee was $1100 itself. However, Joey quoted about $100 more than another electrician, but he was 10x more responsive and helpful, so I went with Joey.

Do you have 200AMP service? The ESA gets all bent up with 100AMP panels and electric chargers.

I would also consider installing a 30AMP plug, there's no need for 50 AMP, the mobile charger max charge is 32AMP (40AMP breaker), but there's nothing wrong with using a 24AMP feed - (Dryer plug 30AMP breaker), that' plenty of juice
Going this route may get ESA off your back

See attached - 24AMP charging speed

I have a 100amp service and had an electrician install a Wall Connector and it connected to a 50amp breaker with the WC set to 80% (40amp).

The process was straightforward - I downloaded 2 years of my data (1hr resolution) from the Hydro Ottawa web site, sorted it from highest to lowest consumption. Both ESA and the electrician looked at the data and both approved the 50amp breaker. I was a bit worried that ESA was going to cause a fuss, but he looked at the data and was perfectly fine with 50amps.

I have AC, an electric dryer, a pool pump + the normal stuff. My water heater, pool heater and stove/range are all gas. My peak usage in the past two years was about 10Kw.

Edit: I had Sega electric do my install and they were great to work with. I installed the Teck cable they specified which involved getting it through my finished basement ceiling. They came and spent two hours installing the breaker and the wall connector. All in they charged $800. That included the taxes, the inspection and the breaker (which is hard to find and had to be ordered in from the US and cost $200 by itself). The cable I purchased, and I purposely used a thicker gauge cable with an extra conductor to future proof the install.

I have a 100amp service and had an electrician install a Wall Connector and it connected to a 50amp breaker with the WC set to 80% (40amp).

The process was straightforward - I downloaded 2 years of my data (1hr resolution) from the Hydro Ottawa web site, sorted it from highest to lowest consumption. Both ESA and the electrician looked at the data and both approved the 50amp breaker. I was a bit worried that ESA was going to cause a fuss, but he looked at the data and was perfectly fine with 50amps.

I have AC, an electric dryer, a pool pump + the normal stuff. My water heater, pool heater and stove/range are all gas. My peak usage in the past two years was about 10Kw.
Okay, so I have the same 100A and am worried that I'm going to go over. But jsut looking at my last year's worth of data, it looks like my heaviest hours have maxed out at 8KWh. So I should be okay for just putting a 50A run in?

Reactions: Vawlkus
Okay, so I have the same 100A and am worried that I'm going to go over. But jsut looking at my last year's worth of data, it looks like my heaviest hours have maxed out at 8KWh. So I should be okay for just putting a 50A run in?
Well your usage is lower than mine usage and it passed ESA for me...

I say put in the biggest you can. You can always set the charge rate to be lower if you want. I've only had my car a week, but my rationale is to have the ability to charge as quickly as I can, but I expect to only need that occasionally.