Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 setup. - No Longer Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NEMA 14-50 setup.

Hi there. I bought a HPWC, so, I'm getting rid of my NEMA 14-50 I had before. Here is what is included in this lot.

1. NEMA 14-50 plug box. - with safety closing lid.
2. 8/3 Wire (Hot, cold, Neutral, Ground) - 15' Feet, give or take some inches.
3. PVC Above Ground Conduit, - 15', give or take some inches. (Split into 2 pieces, one elbow piece, and one 12 inch extension. Access 90 deg section).[Pieces were not glued together for easy removal]

** - Willing to provide 50 amp breaker, if needed.

The whole setup cost me about $120.
So, make me an offer. I'm very flexible.
:)

-Levi

List Date: 6/5/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: NEMA 14-50 setup.
--------------------------------------
This item is no longer available.

browseformore.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

443b2652-ea6f-440b-ac70-e9abf4afcc5d.JPG
05309881-12dd-4884-8f75-0808ba93edfe.JPG
4bda1402-8223-4b2e-a22d-57afe633fa17.JPG

Mobile friendly version: NEMA 14-50 setup.

Go Mobile: Download the free Panjo iOS app now!

Last edited:

Assuming you mean 8/3 NM cable (Romex), this is not the correct wire for a NEMA 14-50 with a 50A breaker.

I'll quote from FlasherZ's FAQ as an instant second opinion on this:
WHAT WIRE SIZES SHOULD BE USED FOR INSTALLING MY NEMA 14-50R?

Note: All wire sizes assume copper conductors!

For wire-in-conduit, 8 AWG THHN (dry locations) or THWN (wet locations) is sufficient to carry 50 amps, but many electricians will use 6 AWG to ensure that there is enough headroom. The ground conductor must be a minimum size of 10 AWG.

For “Romex” (NM-B cable), it must be sized for the 60 degC rating. This means that 8/3+ground NM-B may not be used for 50A, and 6/3+ground NM-B must be used. Note that type NM cable must be protected from damage (e.g., must be run inside a wall) and cannot be exposed. If you must run wiring on the outside of a wall, below 7' above the floor, you must use conduit. Type NM cable may be run in conduit as long as it does not run outside.

If these conductors will ride in the same conduit as another circuit, they must be “de-rated” and 6 AWG is required.

Assuming you mean 8/3 NM cable (Romex), this is not the correct wire for a NEMA 14-50 with a 50A breaker.

I'll quote from FlasherZ's FAQ as an instant second opinion on this:

Hmm. I don't know, my electrician installed this. I'm not an electrician, but he installed it up to code, according to him.

Well, if you can't use this wire, I'll sell the box and the conduit by themselves.

I've been using it for about a year now, never had any issues at all. :/

Hmm. I don't know, my electrician installed this. I'm not an electrician, but he installed it up to code, according to him.

Well, if you can't use this wire, I'll sell the box and the conduit by themselves.

I've been using it for about a year now, never had any issues at all. :/

No electrician would do that...

Also, in this post you claimed to have installed the NEMA 14-50...

Pieces were not glued together for easy removal

This is also against the NEC if I recall correctly.... not handy at the moment but I think it's article 352 on PVC conduit...

So, not an electrician install.

No electrician would do that...

Also, in this post you claimed to have installed the NEMA 14-50...

This is also against the NEC if I recall correctly.... not handy at the moment but I think it's article 352 on PVC conduit...

So, not an electrician install.

Ok, And all of this is relevant to the sale of these items....HOW??

Why don't you stop harassing people with your elitist views, and ground yourself. This is the internet, sir, nobody cares what you think, if you were not aware of that.

Ok, And all of this is relevant to the sale of these items....HOW??

Why don't you stop harassing people with your elitist views, and ground yourself. This is the internet, sir, nobody cares what you think, if you were not aware of that.
This is the Internet, sir, speak for yourself and not for everybody else. I think it's highly relevant. Somebody might buy this stuff thinking it is all correct for installing their own 14-50, and it is not.

This is the Internet, sir, speak for yourself and not for everybody else. I think it's highly relevant. Somebody might buy this stuff thinking it is all correct for installing their own 14-50, and it is not.

Don't be a troll. Just because you people have your bubble in here and you think you are immune to the internet, doesn't mean that you are voice of reason.
And if someone buys the stuff and installs them themselves, that's their g-damn fault. Not mine. You can go to a gun store, and buy a gun and bullets, and if you shoot yourself, how can you blame the store for killing yourself?...

Don't be a troll. Just because you people have your bubble in here and you think you are immune to the internet, doesn't mean that you are voice of reason. ...
Stop being so damned defensive. I just matched the guy's tone and rhetoric because I thought it was ridiculous. So the wire is wrong. It's not a big deal. A 15ft. chunk of wire isn't all that expensive anyway. The rest of the parts are very useful, especially the nice outlet and box with the cover. I will note that the wire (and the rest) would be perfect for a 40a circuit to support the 30a EVSE that non-Tesla owners most commonly have. You might try offering it as a package on other EV forums.

Stop being so damned defensive. I just matched the guy's tone and rhetoric because I thought it was ridiculous. So the wire is wrong. It's not a big deal. A 15ft. chunk of wire isn't all that expensive anyway. The rest of the parts are very useful, especially the nice outlet and box with the cover. I will note that the wire (and the rest) would be perfect for a 40a circuit to support the 30a EVSE that non-Tesla owners most commonly have. You might try offering it as a package on other EV forums.

Well, I also have a 40 amp breaker.

I just really don't like the attitude of a lot of people here, who think they are an authority to say what's what.

You can't prove who anyone is on the internet, so why should I take anyone's word on knowing electrical code.??
Best thing to do, pay $1500 for a professional install. Or get your own certification and licenses. Other than that, no one here or anywhere on the internet, has any authority.

Everyone is just an lcd screen and letters interpreted by 0s and 1s.

... I just really don't like the attitude of a lot of people here, who think they are an authority to say what's what.

You can't prove who anyone is on the internet, so why should I take anyone's word on knowing electrical code.??
Best thing to do, pay $1500 for a professional install. Or get your own certification and licenses. Other than that, no one here or anywhere on the internet, has any authority.

Well, they're also the body of posts they've made. Wk057 may have rubbed you the wrong way, but he isn't wrong about the wire. I've read enough discussion from him and others here to know that. Plus he quoted the "official as it gets on the forum" FAQ. If it were wrong, we'd have had big fights about it until it WAS correct...and did on a few things. But you shouldn't just take his word (or mine) for it, you should find out for yourself.

Well, I also have a 40 amp breaker.

I just really don't like the attitude of a lot of people here, who think they are an authority to say what's what.

We do have some VERY GOOD authorities here. It would pay you to listen to them.

I'm going to guess that it's really #8 THHN or THWN, not 8/3 Romex. Do people really put Romex inside of a conduit? You might want to show a photo of the actual wire in the conduit and what temperature it's rated for (should be written on the wire itself).

And BTW - wk057 has plenty of credibility when it comes to the code as evidenced by his solar / battery pack installation that passed inspection on the first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.