TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NEMA 14-50 setup. - No Longer Available

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by Levi, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levi

Levi Member

#1 Levi, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    NEMA 14-50 setup.

Hi there. I bought a HPWC, so, I'm getting rid of my NEMA 14-50 I had before. Here is what is included in this lot.

1. NEMA 14-50 plug box. - with safety closing lid.
    2. 8/3 Wire (Hot, cold, Neutral, Ground) - 15' Feet, give or take some inches.
    3. PVC Above Ground Conduit, - 15', give or take some inches. (Split into 2 pieces, one elbow piece, and one 12 inch extension. Access 90 deg section).[Pieces were not glued together for easy removal]

** - Willing to provide 50 amp breaker, if needed.

The whole setup cost me about $120.
    So, make me an offer. I'm very flexible.
    :)

-Levi

List Date: 6/5/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: NEMA 14-50 setup.
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

browseformore.png
    --------------------------------------
    tesla-motors-club.gif
    443b2652-ea6f-440b-ac70-e9abf4afcc5d.JPG
    05309881-12dd-4884-8f75-0808ba93edfe.JPG
    4bda1402-8223-4b2e-a22d-57afe633fa17.JPG

Mobile friendly version: NEMA 14-50 setup.

Go Mobile: Download the free Panjo iOS app now!

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

If your setup only cost you $120, are you intentionally selling it for $1,086.91? That seems like a really high mark-up. :eek:

3. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Assuming you mean 8/3 NM cable (Romex), this is not the correct wire for a NEMA 14-50 with a 50A breaker.

I'll quote from FlasherZ's FAQ as an instant second opinion on this:

4. Levi

Levi Member

lol. No. I'm selling it for whatever a good offer is.
    I put 999.99 as the price so that it would be a ridiculous number that noone would buy this for.

I'll take a "reasonable offer". ;)

5. Levi

Levi Member

Hmm. I don't know, my electrician installed this. I'm not an electrician, but he installed it up to code, according to him.

Well, if you can't use this wire, I'll sell the box and the conduit by themselves.

I've been using it for about a year now, never had any issues at all. :/

6. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

No electrician would do that...

Also, in this post you claimed to have installed the NEMA 14-50...

This is also against the NEC if I recall correctly.... not handy at the moment but I think it's article 352 on PVC conduit...

So, not an electrician install.

7. Levi

Levi Member

Ok, And all of this is relevant to the sale of these items....HOW??

Why don't you stop harassing people with your elitist views, and ground yourself. This is the internet, sir, nobody cares what you think, if you were not aware of that.

8. davewill

davewill Member

This is the Internet, sir, speak for yourself and not for everybody else. I think it's highly relevant. Somebody might buy this stuff thinking it is all correct for installing their own 14-50, and it is not.

9. Levi

Levi Member

Don't be a troll. Just because you people have your bubble in here and you think you are immune to the internet, doesn't mean that you are voice of reason.
    And if someone buys the stuff and installs them themselves, that's their g-damn fault. Not mine. You can go to a gun store, and buy a gun and bullets, and if you shoot yourself, how can you blame the store for killing yourself?...

10. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Well it's relevant for seller character (caught in a lie), if nothing else.

Mainly the 8/3 cable is the issue here and does not go with a "NEMA 14-50 Setup", period.

11. Levi

Levi Member

Alright fine.
    Character is so important. So, there,... ALL parts completely unrelated to each other.

12. davewill

davewill Member

Stop being so damned defensive. I just matched the guy's tone and rhetoric because I thought it was ridiculous. So the wire is wrong. It's not a big deal. A 15ft. chunk of wire isn't all that expensive anyway. The rest of the parts are very useful, especially the nice outlet and box with the cover. I will note that the wire (and the rest) would be perfect for a 40a circuit to support the 30a EVSE that non-Tesla owners most commonly have. You might try offering it as a package on other EV forums.

13. Levi

Levi Member

Well, I also have a 40 amp breaker.

I just really don't like the attitude of a lot of people here, who think they are an authority to say what's what.

You can't prove who anyone is on the internet, so why should I take anyone's word on knowing electrical code.??
    Best thing to do, pay $1500 for a professional install. Or get your own certification and licenses. Other than that, no one here or anywhere on the internet, has any authority.

Everyone is just an lcd screen and letters interpreted by 0s and 1s.

14. davewill

davewill Member

Well, they're also the body of posts they've made. Wk057 may have rubbed you the wrong way, but he isn't wrong about the wire. I've read enough discussion from him and others here to know that. Plus he quoted the "official as it gets on the forum" FAQ. If it were wrong, we'd have had big fights about it until it WAS correct...and did on a few things. But you shouldn't just take his word (or mine) for it, you should find out for yourself.

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

We do have some VERY GOOD authorities here. It would pay you to listen to them.

16. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I'm going to guess that it's really #8 THHN or THWN, not 8/3 Romex. Do people really put Romex inside of a conduit? You might want to show a photo of the actual wire in the conduit and what temperature it's rated for (should be written on the wire itself).

And BTW - wk057 has plenty of credibility when it comes to the code as evidenced by his solar / battery pack installation that passed inspection on the first try.

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I'm closing this listing. This whole thread is a bit of a mess.

You may relist if you include photos (no idea why you edited them out before), accurate to code information, and a realistic price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.