Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Shortage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
With the pending sales success of the Model 3, I predict a shortage of NEMA 14-50 outlets. When the Model 3 is released, there will be 100's of thousands of people buying these outlets for their home-charging. I have to assume the manufacturers of these outlets aren't preparing for this but they should.

So, at less than $10, it might not be a bad idea to buy the outlet now so you'll have it when the time comes because who knows how bad the shortage might be. And, even if I'm wrong, no harm in spending $10 now instead of later in my opinion.

With the pending sales success of the Model 3, I predict a shortage of NEMA 14-50 outlets. When the Model 3 is released, there will be 100's of thousands of people buying these outlets for their home-charging. I have to assume the manufacturers of these outlets aren't preparing for this but they should.

So, at less than $10, it might not be a bad idea to buy the outlet now so you'll have it when the time comes because who knows how bad the shortage might be. And, even if I'm wrong, no harm in spending $10 now instead of later in my opinion.
These cars won't all hit the road at once, they will trickle out. Manufacturers of outlets will have plenty of time to ramp up production to meet demand.....this ain't rocket science

Time for some math shall we.

Most common 14-50 used: Dryers, Cooking Ranges, RVs

Number of households in US: 133,957,180

Lets assume that each household either has a dryer or that one in a Hotel/Coin-op would work out to cover down

Lets also assume that each home has a Cooking Range from the same logic

According to the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association, at last count 8.9 million households has RVs.

Spitball math that puts the number of NEMA 14-50s being used today at 276,514,360.

I don't think the market is even going to notice an additional 250k over the course of a year or two.

Reactions: Tree95

Lol, ok.

You act like these outlets are only used for people charging their electric vehicles. Do you have any idea how many things run on 240 power? Any idea how many manufacturing facilities exist? How many 240 outlets your home already uses?

Another reason to short the stock

• Funny
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Really? I have never seen a 14-50 outlet installed in a house unless it was custom ordered for a welder. I know my house had 3) 10-30s, but no 14-50s...

Really? I thought most dryers/ranges used 10-30 or 14-30 outlets. Not 14-50s.

Good catch. I got happy with my math. Apparently dryers are mainly 14-30's; however most stoves I can find are 14-50's. So going back the numbers that brings us to 142,857,180 only accounting for HOUSEHOLD usage which I have to assume is the lesser of the two when comparing to industrial usage...again...no shortage in sight.