Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 to 6-50 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a 14-50 outlet in my garage but am getting worried since the 14-50 adapter has been sold out for a while. I see there are 6-50 to 14-50 adapters made by third parties. Since the 6-50 adapter is available from Tesla, could I use a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter and not see a large drop in charge speed?

You'd see no charge speed loss, but it would be a tiny bit more dangerous.

The UMC adapters have temperature monitors in the plug-end so it can detect if the outlet is overheating. If you put in a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter, the 14-50 end might overheat and the UMC would never know it.

In any case, the UMC is only able to move 32 amps, so it isn't likely to overheat either plug...

Or you could just buy one on ebay, but I'm 'shocked' at how expensive they are. Maybe I should put mine out there!

Last edited:
I installed a 14-50 outlet in my garage but am getting worried since the 14-50 adapter has been sold out for a while. I see there are 6-50 to 14-50 adapters made by third parties. Since the 6-50 adapter is available from Tesla, could I use a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter and not see a large drop in charge speed?
There will be no drop, the only difference is that the 6-50 has no neutral. Tesla (and no EV of which I am aware) does not use the neutral. The neutral allows a 120 volt option. Stoves and some driers use 240 for heating elements and 120 for lights and controls, in case you are curious! Go for it!

Yes, generally fine and transparent to the car. It would just be a simple pass-through of the pins/wires. For general recommendation purposes, as long as you are keeping the same amp level, so the Tesla plug is signaling the correct limit, these are fine to use pigtail adapters like that. It just gets sketchy when people try to adapt from a lower amp plug to a Tesla 14-50 or something where the car could try to overdraw the circuit if you don't manually intervene.

Why don't you just replace your 14-50 outlet with a 6-50 outlet?
Well yeah, since you can get the 6-50 plug from Tesla, just change the outlet type, and then you don't have to do any hokey stuff with third party pigtails. For car charging, they are functionally identical. I had kind of overlooked that idea because I was thinking this was like a rental or something, and you couldn't change the outlet for some reason.