Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 to Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 6 months ago I had my electrician install a NEMA 14-50 in my garage to charge my MS. I put up a a hose hanger for my mobile connector and I was feeling pretty good about myself. After 6 months of use, I'm realizing that I've almost forgotten the mobile connector a few times on longer trips and in general I think it's a safer plan to just have that thing in the trunk at all times. Which takes the convenience of leaving it hung up out of the equation. Having a bit of regret having not installed the Tesla wall charger.

Has anyone here gone from an existing 240v NEMA 14-50 to a wall charger? Can it be done easily/cheaply? Would I be better off just buying another mobile connector? Another factor is that my wife will have a Model 3 on the way as well and I'm thinking about that 20' cable coming in handy in the two car garage. Are there other benefits to the wall connector that I'm missing?

I've got a 200a panel with plenty of room.

Thoughts?

Easy to convert. The wire size installed will determine the amperage that the wall charger will be able to provide. Second mobile connector is what I did with my X (so I would have a backup if needed), but my 3 will be on a wall charger.

Very easy to convert. The Wall Connector is also much more heavy duty (and has a heavier cord to match!). It also comes with a slightly longer cord than the Mobile Connector which turned out to be really useful for me when I realized I needed to back in my Model X into the garage for the falcon wing doors. Finally, you can gang two Wall Connectors together to share the same electrical circuit for when you get your Model 3. This way, both cars won't be sucking down electricity at midnight at the same time. (I am assuming you'll want a second Wall Connector when you get your Model 3. Sharing one between two cars will get old really, really fast).

Anyways, the easiest way to convert is to get a NEMA 14-50 plug pigtail and wire it into the Wall Connector then just plug it into your 14-50 receptacle.

IMHO, Tesla kinda messed up by recommending everyone use their Mobile Connector for at home charging. The Mobile Connector with its plug adapters just isn't as robust as a Wall Connector for daily use.

Rather than removing the outlet and hard-wiring it, I'd wire a plug to the wall connector. That way if the wall connector ever does fail, it's as simple as unplugging it and using your UMC until it gets replaced. I had a few issues early on (2013-2014) with my UMC. I haven't heard of any significant wall connector failure rates, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared if you're not going over a 50A circuit.

Reactions: dedicatedtek