Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 UMC Adapter No Longer Included With New Purchases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge as well at work on 120v. So i am buying a house in a couple week with a orivate garage. I already bought a second umc kit. I'll leave one pernanently plugged in the garage withe 14-50, and I'll keep one in the car for charging at work on 120.
Just another way to do it...

I charge as well at work on 120v. So i am buying a house in a couple week with a orivate garage. I already bought a second umc kit. I'll leave one pernanently plugged in the garage withe 14-50, and I'll keep one in the car for charging at work on 120.
If you’re plugging in at home with a 14-50 outlet you’ll be starting each day with a full (90%) charge. There’s no reason you would ever need to bother plugging into 120V at work.

• Disagree
Reactions: solodogg
If you’re plugging in at home with a 14-50 outlet you’ll be starting each day with a full (90%) charge. There’s no reason you would ever need to bother plugging into 120V at work.

Yes there is, charging at work is free.
Also, how would you know about the lenght of my commute ?
Also because of the nature of my job, my car would sit up to 5 days in temperatures down to -25c. I'd rather have the car connected for that, as I can use charging to heat up the battery before I go home.

• Funny
Reactions: deserthootman

FWIW, the cost of a second UMC is about a wash with buying a wall connector when you factor in having to buy a GFCI breaker and the industrial receptacle and a holster to hold the cord/connector and now the 14-50 adapter for the UMC.

Reactions: Alketi
FWIW, the cost of a second UMC is about a wash with buying a wall connector when you factor in having to buy a GFCI breaker and the industrial receptacle and a holster to hold the cord/connector and now the 14-50 adapter for the UMC.
True, however now I have a back up kit and when I bought both the car and the kit, the 14-50 was available. Also I have a MR, so the UMC will give me the fastest ac charging i could have.

Reactions: eprosenx
I got my M3 in late March 2019
The included Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 pigtail adapter is labeled as 30A/250V not 50A/250V?
I do not understand. Is it mislabeled?
If I plug into my existing14-50 wall socket, how many amp is it drawing?
Since they are not longer including it as standard equipment, is the one I got safe for me to use?

I got my M3 in late March 2019
The included Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 pigtail adapter is labeled as 30A/250V not 50A/250V?
I do not understand. Is it mislabeled?
If I plug into my existing14-50 wall socket, how many amp is it drawing?
Since they are not longer including it as standard equipment, is the one I got safe for me to use?

The Gen 2 UMC is limited to 32 amps, but with a 14-50 adapter it is designed to plug into a 40a or 50a circuit.

It is weird that they only label it at 30a. It will draw 32a when using that adapter (or really probably 31.5 amps as Tesla seems to add some margin).

It is totally safe to use.

Here is a thread I started forever ago about this topic:

Rating on 6-50 UMC Gen 2 Adapter is only 30a rated - why?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H