Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 with extension cord vs. HPWC modified with a longer cable?

NEMA 14-50 with extension cord vs. HPWC modified with a longer cable?

• Install a NEMA-1450 and use an extension cord

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Get a HPWC and splice in a longer cable

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The side of my house to the charging port on my Tesla is about 35’. The Tesla charging cable is about 20’ and the HPWC cable is 24’ —too short to reach the car.

What should I do, install a NEMA 14-50 and use an extension cord, or buy a HPWC and pay QuickChargePower or someone else to splice in a longer cable? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

Interesting - didn't know they would lengthen the HPWC.

Hard to say without seeing your exact circumstances.

I would lean towards extending the HPWC. If you go with an extension cord, you have the UMC plug and the UMC box getting moved around a lot on the (concrete?) drive.

The side of my house to the charging port on my Tesla is about 35’. The Tesla charging cable is about 20’ and the HPWC cable is 24’ —too short to reach the car.

What should I do, install a NEMA 14-50 and use an extension cord, or buy a HPWC and pay QuickChargePower or someone else to splice in a longer cable? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!
Neither— install a Wall Connector nearer to where you park the car.

Reactions: NickHoffmann

Thanks!

I agree with what others have said. You want a robust solution for charging at home that is very waterproof, etc...

I am a huge fan of the Wall Connector (especially for outdoor installations for safety and theft reasons). So I would recommend having a Wall Connector installed in an optimal location.

Note that I think NEC limits charge cord length to 25', so extending the cord on a Wall Connector (in addition to voiding the warranty and UL listing) also does not comply with the National Electrical Code.

Managing 35' plus of cable would also be a pain. You really want the cord right next to the car charge port if possible. I have the 24' version since the 8' one would not have done it and I am annoyed every day when I can't plug/unplug the car single handed (I have to put down whatever I am carrying) since I need to coil/uncoil one length of cable.

Yes, we extend HPWC GEN1 and GEN2 cables. The NEC rules about “25 feet” only apply without “cable management”. They don’t want the cables all over the ground. If you have some method to manage the cable (coil it upon a hook), then you met the requirement. There is no specific definition what cable management is.

Yes, of course, you would lose warranty on a modified unit, but the HPWC is pretty robust, and even if it did fail, just pop a normal plug and cable on it for the warranty exchange. UL listing is a nebulous concern for an end private user.

There are other options. Buy our 80 amp JLONG and have us install a Tesla inlet on one end. Just plug in the JLONG and use the Tesla / J1772 adaptor at your car:

JLong, J1772, Tesla, 80 amps, 80A, 19,2kW

Another option is to exchange the heavy 80 amp cable for our 40 amp cable in the length you want. Much, much lighter and easier to use. You’ll have to change the maximum charge rate to “8” on the HPWC GEN2. Also, we recommend swapping the 60 to 100 amp circuit breaker for a 50 amp one while using a 40 amp cable.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and eprosenx

Thanks!

Could you please draw a skentch about your charge outlet/station like this? I believe that our fourm can give you more ideas.
Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 6.52.48 AM.png

This is my second idea, but it's not a selected solution.

Reactions: KenF