Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-60 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S, moved to a new place recently, and realized the only bigger outlet in the garage is a NEMA 14-60. Looking online can't find any resources on how to make this work for a gen 1 charger (Tesla / OEMs do not make an adapter for this outlet).

Any recommendations on how I can make this port work for electric charging (or will I have to spend a ton of money again on getting a wall charger installed?)

@BrianSF Well, what does "moved to a new place" mean? Is this a house you have bought, where you can make changes?
Yes, that would do it. That's $39, and then the Tesla 14-50 plug is $35. That would work great, but you only need to do that if you can't make any changes. Other than that, you have the two other good options: change it to a 14-50 with 50A breaker or put on a 60A wall connector.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Thank you all - will see if I can find an electrician locally who can do the work. Yep can confirm it’s 14-60 and labeled as such on the outlet too. Bay Area electricians I’ve found to be unresponsive and unreasonable with pricing these days so it’s been a challenged to get minor work done without paying an arm and a leg.

As for the two adapter option (14-50r), will I be getting the same power / amps as I would be getting by changing the outlet itself to a 14-50 + 50amps?

A 14-60 circuit is perfect for a 48A-max Gen 3 WC. More expense than swapping out the breaker and receptacle but would allow you to charge at 48A if your 2016 supports it and you need the extra 8A the WC would provide versus 40A through the UMC.

I have a 2015 that maxes at 40A (single charger, original owner didn't spring for duals and I really have never needed more than 40A) but my WC is on a 100A circuit so it can deliver 80A to a Tesla that can support 80A charging.

I'm not sure when they changed over from 40/80A to 48/72A on-board chargers, it was probably in 2016 with the refreshed nose?

As for the two adapter option (14-50r), will I be getting the same power / amps as I would be getting by changing the outlet itself to a 14-50 + 50amps?
Yes. The mobile charging cord that comes with the car can only pull up to 32A maximum, so 50 or 60 amp outlets both have more available capacity than what the charging cord will draw from it anyway, so no problem.
I'm not sure when they changed over from 40/80A to 48/72A on-board chargers, it was probably in 2016 with the refreshed nose?
Generally yes. The Model X came out with the new kinds of chargers first, which I think was late 2015, but then when they did the spring 2016 refresh on the Model S, they made that switch of the charger types in there too.

How would hardwiring a WC that can output max 48A into a 60A circuit be a code violation? 80% of 60A = 48A, so the math checks out. (I am not an electrician but have done some "simple" stuff.)
Well, I'm going to take a guess, and say that I think @iluvmacs was assuming that you were proposing this as going out to a hardware store to buy a cord and plug to attach to the wall connector to plug into the 14-60 outlet. That would be a code violation, because that's not what the installation manual recommends. But that's not what you were proposing I'm pretty sure. You said the "circuit" would be perfect for the wall connector. And I think you mean removing the outlet and hardwiring it in, which would be perfectly code compliant.

Well, I'm going to take a guess, and say that I think @iluvmacs was assuming that you were proposing this as going out to a hardware store to buy a cord and plug to attach to the wall connector to plug into the 14-60 outlet. That would be a code violation, because that's not what the installation manual recommends. But that's not what you were proposing I'm pretty sure. You said the "circuit" would be perfect for the wall connector. And I think you mean removing the outlet and hardwiring it in, which would be perfectly code compliant.
^ Correct. Perhaps I misunderstood, but so many people post about wiring a 14-50 pigtail to an HPWC, that that's the assumption I made.

Just go to home depot and buy a 14-50 outlet and throw it in there and swap the breaker toa 50A bam problem solved and super easy to do. no need to change the wired in the wall as you can use heavier awg wire than required just never lower awg so easy peasy fix.

Another alternative is to buy a Gen 2 UMC and a 14-60 Gen II UMC adapter from EVSE Adapters.
It may only charge at 32amps but would eliminate the need to change plug/breakers.

The Gen II UMC is $250 and the adapter $79. At $359 probably cheaper than a Bay Area electrician.