Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 16-20 @ 16 amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it will work. However, I would suggest that you check the second option box "6-20P to 5-20R (for Tesla ONLY!!) (+$4.00)" under the one you listed on the EVSE website. I believe they now offer this much safer option per the request of another forum member as it requires no user intervention. I am not a fan of "overcharging" adapters such as the one you mentioned where if the user forgets to manually lower the amperage draw (to 16a in this case), the car forgets due to an update or location mix-up, beyond catistrophics results will most certainly occur if the breaker on that branch circuit fails. Both adapters will charge a Tesla at 16a@240v, it's just that one provides an additional layer of safety IMO.

Last edited:
Would the following be an option? Thanks a lot by the way.

NEMA 14-50R to 6-20P Adapter
That's a less safe option, as noted up thread, because you have to manually dial down the amps. As long as you're going to use an adapter, best to use one that sets the correct amps automatically.. That's the advantage of the 5-20R to 6-20P adapter, it allows you to use the UMC 5-20 which automatically sets the correct 16A.

Edit- posted at the same time as above. By the way I was the other forum member he mentioned who requested they make the 6-20R to 5-20P adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
So with this adapter I reasonably expect to charge at 16A. How many miles an hour does this represent?

The HPWC guide should provide a good estimate.

upload_2016-4-19_0-39-30.png

The 12 Amp row in the above chart seems to be incorrect. I regularly obtain a 8-9 mph charge rate @242v. I wouldn't be at all surprised if my incoming Model ☰ will achieve a 10mph charge rate at the same 12a.

Last edited: