Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 6-15 Adapter Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, but there is no way that Tesla will make anymore 6-50 adapters, and will definitely not make any 10-50 adapters(the Roadster didn't even have a 10-50 adapter). The reason is very simple, the Model S UMC cannot take constant 40A charging without problems. Having said that, I have no clue why Tesla doesn't sell the 10-30/14-30 anymore. That is a very strange decision.

Interested in why a 6-50 would cause problems. I have been problem free charging on 2 different 6-50 outlets for 18 months.

My umc is my only source for normal daily charging. It has worked perfectly at home and on the road for three years.
Very strange. I know of many people with multiple UMC replacements. The UMC has had about as many revisions as the drive units.

- - - Updated - - -

Interested in why a 6-50 would cause problems. I have been problem free charging on 2 different 6-50 outlets for 18 months.
Because if the UMC is run at 40A in the heat, it is prone to eventually melting the adapter end. That's how mine failed in the first few years anyway. I havent had a newer UMC last more than a few months to really know if they will have melting problems with the new stronger plastic 14-50 adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the majority of my charging is outside in the weather, so that may be why I've had problems.

Very strange. I know of many people with multiple UMC replacements. The UMC has had about as many revisions as the drive units.

- - - Updated - - -

Because if the UMC is run at 40A in the heat, it is prone to eventually melting the adapter end. That's how mine failed in the first few years anyway. I havent had a newer UMC last more than a few months to really know if they will have melting problems with the new stronger plastic 14-50 adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the majority of my charging is outside in the weather, so that may be why I've had problems.
I think the bigger question people are asking in this thread is not how durable the UMC is, but rather, if they're willing to release a 14-50 adapter (which they obviously are) what makes any other adapter of exactly the same current and voltage rating any more of an issue than that?

I agree, but there is no way that Tesla will make anymore 6-50 adapters, and will definitely not make any 10-50 adapters(the Roadster didn't even have a 10-50 adapter). The reason is very simple, the Model S UMC cannot take constant 40A charging without problems. <snip>
That's not my experience, mine charges every night at 40A. What's your source for that statement?

See my post 17 above. The UMC might not reach the car if plugged into the hotel room outlet, but it will with this 5-20R to 6-20P extension cord.
IMG_1840.JPG

I used a 6' AC cord through the window and over the balcony to get 9 mph at this motel.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You've posted in the past about your charging problems which seems to be an extreme outlier. I don't think we should generalize that the UMC has problems charging at 40A. For example I'm still on my original UMC at 2 1/2 years and charge every night at 40A.

I think the bigger question people are asking in this thread is not how durable the UMC is, but rather, if they're willing to release a 14-50 adapter (which they obviously are) what makes any other adapter of exactly the same current and voltage rating any more of an issue than that?
Yes, of course, although UMC durability is probably a factor in adapter decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

What's your source for that statement?
About a dozen replacement UMC's....

- - - Updated - - -

You've posted in the past about your charging problems which seems to be an extreme outlier. I don't think we should generalize that the UMC has problems charging at 40A. For example I'm still on my original UMC at 2 1/2 years and charge every night at 40A.
The problem is, I'm far from alone when it comes to UMC replacements.

It should be noted that in Canada you can no longer buy a 40A 14-50 adapter, they're all 32A now, so there is something to this... but they still make the adapter!

Wow, @qwk, that's a crazy number of UMC replacements. I am feeling like a blessed golden child on a lot of these Tesla things. I got my car in March 2014, so I'm at almost 2 years, and I am still on my original drive unit, UMC, fob batteries, 12V battery, and high voltage pack contactors. If anyone wants to come and rub my Tesla's frunk for good luck, I will charge only $20 per person. I do use my UMC every day in my garage for my regular charging (sometimes it's every other day). However, I do have it set at about 32A just because I don't have any need for 40 and want to keep it a little cooler and less stressed. I've used 40A only about 3 or 4 times when out on a trip.

As to the adapters, I think they are going away from any of the ones that do not have a dedicated ground pin because they see it as a little bit of a safety issue. The 10-50 and 10-30 effectively count on the neutral to act as a ground in the body of the appliance that's plugged into it. That does not explain why they discontinued the 14-30, though. That still doesn't make any sense.

I am becoming a big fan of 6-15/6-20 charging for power limited locations!

My houses have 600 Amp service, and putting in a 100 Amp circuit for 80 Amp charging with an HPWC in each place was pretty simple. On the other hand, I now have three places where I may need to regularly grab a charge. One has a 100 Amp panel, and the other two have 50 Amp panels. Now I need to be a little more thrifty in my thinking at these new locations. In all three, a 240V/20A breaker will fit to allow installation of a 6-20R for charging.

I did some testing with my HPWC tonight set to 12 and 16 Amps at a nominal 240 Volts. Here are my results:

VoltageCurrentDisplayed MPHCalculate MPH

While the resolution of the displayed MPH charging has a lot of quantization, my calculations on charge rate are very close to 16/12 or the current ratio. These calculations were done from actual charging to get better resolution, not from the basic V*A input, so represent actual charging performance with better resolution.

I can use the 6-15 adapter for 12 Amp charging, or with another adapter in between, use the Tesla 5-20 adapter for 16 Amp charging. I like having the current setting in the adapter for regular charge locations to avoid mistakes. The 5-20 will work, but I sure wish Tesla made a 6-20 to avoid possible mistakes that would fry a 120 Volt device.

My prioritized list for new Tesla, UMC adapters is:

1. 6-20 — Needed for power starved locations
  2. 14-30 — Needed for less power starved locations, new-style dryer outlet
  3. 6-30 — Needed for less power starved locations, fewer wire install
  4. TT-30 — Needed for old Camp Grounds
  5. 6-50 — Fewer wire install for 40 Amp charging

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: linkster
Many RV parks have ONLY the TT-30, and have never upgraded to have 14-50 outlets at all.
Yes, campgrounds often have TT-30 only service IME. They include the state park near my house and Zion National Park, where I have a campsite reservation in June. Figured I'd get the NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter from EVSEadapters.com before I go.

Although it would be nice for Tesla to offer their own current-limited version, I'd be surprised to see it anytime soon.

Geez, hard to keep up. At least they have the 6-50 back in stock. That only took 2 years. I honestly can't think of an ecommerce site worse run than Tesla's. They started off with FedEx only and really high shipping charges. Things go in and out of stock constantly. You never know if something is just backordered or gone completely. Items like the Model X snowchains have very important instructions that are missing.

I asked once who is is charge of the adapter program and I was told it was the people who run the store. That explains a lot.