Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 6-30 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cltpack

Nov 21, 2020
NC
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I cannot find it anywhere in the forums.

Does anyone know why Tesla does not make a NEMA 6-30 adapter for the mobile connector?

I have a dedicated 240v 30 amp circuit (10/2 with ground) from my main panel that was originally installed for a water heater, however, I installed a tankless water heater and now that circuit free. I would like to re-dedicate it for a charging receptacle (NEMA 6-30R) because it would save me about $1,000 (long story, but my sub panel is about maxed out and this circuit is fed from my main panel; doing so would eliminate the need to pull new conductor, I would just have to have an electrician re-route it under the house).

I found this - NEMA 6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters - which looks like it will solve my problem, however, there are no reviews and I'm hesitant to use an adapter not specifically sold by Tesla.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

(by the way, I will use a licensed electrician for this work; I'm just trying to give them directions on what I want done)

I’m not sure about the electrical code for this and hopefully an expert can help. Maybe you can ask your electrician. I believe the Tesla EVSE doesn’t use neutral except when using a 10-30 adapter which doesn’t have a ground.

Hopefully you can replace the socket with a 14-30 without the neutral hooked up and use the Tesla adapter. That should be inexpensive.

• Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
I’m not sure about the electrical code for this and hopefully an expert can help. Maybe you can ask your electrician. I believe the Tesla EVSE doesn’t use neutral except when using a 10-30 adapter which doesn’t have a ground.

Hopefully you can replace the socket with a 14-30 without the neutral hooked up and use the Tesla adapter. That should be inexpensive.
NO! Don't ever install a 14-30 without a neutral!

To the OP: just go buy the EVSE Adapters one. They seem to have a good reputation. And as to your question of "why not?": I assume because the sales volume would be too low to justify. I also think they should offer it. *shrug*

Would a 10-30r and Tesla adapter do the trick ? I count 3 pins

A 10-30 is Hot Hot Neutral while a 6-30 is Hot Hot Ground. I believe a 10-30 can technically be installed only as a replacement for an existing 10-30. Someone who understand the nuances neutral and ground can make the wiring adjustments but ...

NO! Don't ever install a 14-30 without a neutral!

To the OP: just go buy the EVSE Adapters one. They seem to have a good reputation. And as to your question of "why not?": I assume because the sales volume would be too low to justify. I also think they should offer it. *shrug*

I would just follow this advice if the outlet is in a suitable spot. I've used their L6-20 adapter. Their quality is excellent.

A 10-30 is Hot Hot Neutral while a 6-30 is Hot Hot Ground. I believe a 10-30 can technically be installed only as a replacement for an existing 10-30. Someone who understand the nuances neutral and ground can make the wiring adjustments but ...
Gotcha. Sounds like the difference between a bare, grounding wire and an insulated, perhaps fatter than ground wire.

How about using the ground wire to pull a neutral through the conduit ?

Whom is spreading the rumor that the NEMA 6-30 or NEMA 10-30 does NOT have a ground?
It doesn’t have a NEUTRAL fellas.
National
Electrical
Manufacturers
Association
... pretty sure these people thought about the necessity of a GROUND wire. Just because some of y’all bought Teslas, doesn’t mean you know more about electricity than NEMA.

For example, the 6-50 has two (2) hots and one (1) ground wire. Three wire’s are all you need. The neutral can be eliminated no problem.

The best neutral wire is NO neutral wire, as some wise guy once said.
It’s not ‘old’ or ‘unsafe’ technology at all.

Attachments

• 9B2B4502-D200-4039-B2B9-EC2A7C8BABBE.jpeg
    9B2B4502-D200-4039-B2B9-EC2A7C8BABBE.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Disagree
Reactions: brkaus and ucmndd
Whom is spreading the rumor that the NEMA 6-30 or NEMA 10-30 does NOT have a ground?
It doesn’t have a NEUTRAL fellas.
National
Electrical
Manufacturers
Association
... pretty sure these people thought about the necessity of a GROUND wire. Just because some of y’all bought Teslas, doesn’t mean you know more about electricity than NEMA.

For example, the 6-50 has two (2) hots and one (1) ground wire. Three wire’s are all you need. The neutral can be eliminated no problem.

The best neutral wire is NO neutral wire, as some wise guy once said.
It’s not ‘old’ or ‘unsafe’ technology at all.

First, I don't recall anyone on this thread or forum claiming that 6-30 didn't have a ground.

Second, if you are right about the the 10-30 then you better edit this: NEMA connector - Wikipedia
because it shows that 10-30 is hot-hot-neutral.

Sorry for being a little snarky but your style for a first post is not going to win any friends.

arnold

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
First, I don't recall anyone on this thread or forum claiming that 6-30 didn't have a ground.

Second, if you are right about the the 10-30 then you better edit this: NEMA connector - Wikipedia
because it shows that 10-30 is hot-hot-neutral.

Correct. NEMA 10 was for applications where both 120V and 240V operation was needed. For example a kitchen range that used 240V for the heating elements and 120V for the clock/timer and lights. The neutral conductor is a current carrying conductor and there is no separate safety ground. NEMA 14 adds in a separate safety ground. New NEMA 10 installs have been prohibited since the 1996 NEC (National Electrical Code). NEMA 14 must be used instead. NEMA 6 is 240V only.

Good on you, registering for a forum just to make a snarky first post with incorrect information.

As others have correctly pointed out, NEMA 10-30 receptacles most certainly do not have a ground wire. By design.

That design is why it’s been illegal to install new 10-30 outlets for 25 years.

Welcome to the forum. Seems like you’re gonna get along here just swell.