Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 6-50 Out of Stock.. found aftermarket one. Thought?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The adapter is a pretty simple chunk of wiring. If it's a quality source I wouldn't worry.

"Simple" is a relative term, but it might not be quite as simple as you think; the Gen2 Mobile Connector adapters include circuitry to communicate the maximum amperage they can provide, as well as temperature sensors. CleanTechnica published a two-part series going into details of both the Gen1 and Gen2 Mobile Connectors. Also, here's a YouTube video that shows one being cut open, among other things:

Hello Experts,
My car is coming soon (I hope) and I install NEMA 6-50 outlet (paid $475) and found out Tesla adapter NEMA 6-50 is out of stock.
And found this aftermarket one.
Have anybody used this?
Do you suggest this? Is this working fine like the original?

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-6-50-adapter-for-tesla-model-s-x-3-gen-2/

Appreciate for sharing your thought.
Their adapters are solid, but even at the current sale price you'll pay more because of the shipping. I'd just check back in the Tesla store from time to time (and/or register for email notification). It usually doesn't take long for their products to come back in stock.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
"Simple" is a relative term, but it might not be quite as simple as you think; the Gen2 Mobile Connector adapters include circuitry to communicate the maximum amperage they can provide, as well as temperature sensors. CleanTechnica published a two-part series going into details of both the Gen1 and Gen2 Mobile Connectors. Also, here's a YouTube video that shows one being cut open, among other things:

Huh, really. I had no idea. I assumed all the brains were in the charger. Thanks for the correction.