TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NEMA 6-50P Adapter

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by sandpiper, Mar 9, 2015.

1. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Hi All,

Looking for a NEMA 6-50P Adapter. Anybody out there have one that they're not using and willing to part with?

2. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

I ended up buying one of these: NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R EVSE Adapter Cord (#EV20491) from Corddepot.com it was a little more expensive than the 6-50P would have been, but I got it in 3 days. I haven't used it yet, but I did confirm it's wired correctly and it fits in the UMC storage bag without an issue.

3. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Just remember that 14-50 to 6-50 adapaters need to be CLEARLY LABELED as EV CHARGING ONLY.
    These adapters are basically a code violation (since the combined ground and neutral on the 14-50 side) and can cause appliances that expect an actual 14-50 outlet to fail.

4. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Thanks.. I found something like this on Amazon from Conntek. I was hoping for one of the Tesla ones, only because they're more compact.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes of course. Although I was under the impression that they simply left the neutral disconnected, rather than tying it to ground. I'm not sure what benefit grounding it would offer, since the neutral is generally grounded in the distribution panel anyway.

5. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

Yes the neutral is unconnected in the one I bought- I believe that is the correct way to build this and agree with all who say it's important to make sure it doesn't get used to plug into anything other than a Tesla.