Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 6-50R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered a LR Model 3 and the latest EDD is Aug 21-Oct 2. At my house, the previous owner had a Chevy Volt and a NEMA 6-50R Hubbell outlet installed in the garage. It has been over 8 years since it was last used, so i'm going to have an electrician take a look at it to make sure it's ok. I'm new to this, but from reading a few posts it sounds like the 14-50 is more common. Should I have any concerns about trying to use the 6-50R? Also, would I just need to buy Gen 2 6-50 adaptor and the Mobile Connector (assuming it gets back in stock)?

NEMA 6-50R.jpg

Should I have any concerns about trying to use the 6-50R?
Nope, none at all, provided its electrically sound and installed to code previously.

Also, would I just need to buy Gen 2 6-50 adaptor and the Mobile Connector (assuming it gets back in stock)?

Mobile connector + 6-50 adapter, and you should be ready to go.

Upvote 0
Nope, none at all, provided its electrically sound and installed to code previously.

Mobile connector + 6-50 adapter, and you should be ready to go.
Great, will keep my fingers crossed that it's still working properly. Is there any info out there about when the Mobile Connector may be back in stock? I texted the SA and they told me to sign up for an email reminder for when it's back in stock, which I did, but didn't get any indication of what the timeline might be for that.

Upvote 0
Great, will keep my fingers crossed that it's still working properly. Is there any info out there about when the Mobile Connector may be back in stock? I texted the SA and they told me to sign up for an email reminder for when it's back in stock, which I did, but didn't get any indication of what the timeline might be for that.
Thats the only way I am aware of (signing up for the mobile alerts). I bought a keyfob for my wifes model Y about 6 weeks ish ago, and had to follow the same process because that part was also in and out of stock.

Tesla seems to be much better at the "tesla store" stuff than they used to be. Before they would just take your order, it would sit in limbo forever, and you would never have any idea when you would get it. At least now, it seems they dont let you order unless the part is available to be shipped (for tesla store items) which I personally prefer.

Upvote 0
Thats the only way I am aware of (signing up for the mobile alerts). I bought a keyfob for my wifes model Y about 6 weeks ish ago, and had to follow the same process because that part was also in and out of stock.

Tesla seems to be much better at the "tesla store" stuff than they used to be. Before they would just take your order, it would sit in limbo forever, and you would never have any idea when you would get it. At least now, it seems they dont let you order unless the part is available to be shipped (for tesla store items) which I personally prefer.
Thanks for the info. I agree it's better customer service to be transparent and show when things are out of stock so you're not waiting an eternity with no visibility into when the item may arrive. Hopefully the Mobile Connector will get back in stock soon. I'm sure it was a hot topic around here when they decided not to include it with the car anymore.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
You might want to have the electrician rotate the outlet so that the ground pin (the round one) is on top while he's in there. That way the box part of the unit can hang straight down.

Note: I don't daily drive a mobile connector, but a lot of people also recommend supporting the weight of the unit rather than letting it just hang. You could use velcro straps stapled to the wall, or I've heard of people using bike water bottle holders. I'm sure there are some third party holders available as well.

Upvote 0
I have a mobile connector and 6-50 and it works fine.
The Tesla store sells a little kit that provides a support that goes under the mobile connector so it isn't "hanging" off of the 6-50. It also includes a arm that can be mounted on the wall next to the plug for keeping the charging cable in loops and off of the ground

Reactions: GreyRider
Upvote 0