Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA adapter wait....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Just got my beautiful Model 3 and all is well :))
Except that on Aug 8 I ordered a 14-30 NEMA adapter since I've got a handy dryer outlet to charge from.
As of yet no sign of it... FedEx says "label created" that's all. Forcing me to trickle charge off 110V which, well....
What's up with that, its just two stupid connectors with a small cable in-between.
From what I read on these pages calling / emailing customer service (?) is a waste of time.
What to do?

Thanks,

Bo

You can also check PlugShare for local charging options. Adjust the filters so that it shows you everything you can use with a Tesla (J1772, Tesla Destination, and Tesla Supercharger; add CHAdeMO if you have access to a CHAdeMO adapter). In many areas, there are a fair number of free J1772 Level 2 EVSEs available, which can be handy if you're exceeding your capacity to fully charge on Level 1 (120v wall outlet). Superchargers can be a helpful further supplement if even the Level 2 EVSEs aren't enough, or are inconvenient -- but Superchargers may require a bit of a drive to use, depending on your location.

I got an L6-50 and 14-50 ordered the day I picked up the car. Unfortunately it was a Saturday delivery and the service center wasn't open. It is about a 2 hour trip, so I didn't want to have to go back there to get one, and there was no guarantee they had them. IIRC the L6-50 took 2 weeks and the 14-50 was about 4 weeks to be delivered. During that time the 14-50 was frequently out of stock on the Tesla website.

Definitely not the 2 day Prime delivery we've been spoiled with to expect.

Hi!

Just got my beautiful Model 3 and all is well :))
Except that on Aug 8 I ordered a 14-30 NEMA adapter since I've got a handy dryer outlet to charge from.
As of yet no sign of it... FedEx says "label created" that's all. Forcing me to trickle charge off 110V which, well....
What's up with that, its just two stupid connectors with a small cable in-between.
From what I read on these pages calling / emailing customer service (?) is a waste of time.
What to do?

Thanks,

Bo

Check to see if your local service center has one in stock. I picked one up from them day of my m3p delivery.
Good advice.

I had ordered a Wall Connector from the online Tesla store before I had even signed the paper work on my Model 3. At the time I ordered it, it showed in stock. Very long story short, it wasn't in stock. It took a month before they sent it to me, and that's after I had sent them multiple requests to cancel the order. They ended up sending it to me, and I had to send it right back. Six weeks out, and they just now acknowledged that they got it back and my $550+ would be back on my CC "in 7-10 business days." OMG, seriously?

The moral of the story? Don't order from the Tesla store if there are other options.

SC's carry a lot of the Tesla Store merchandise, and IME, they are rarely out of stock. Give your SC a call and see if they have what you need.

I ended up getting my Wall Connector (with the really long cord, too!) from the SC on the same day I took delivery of my car.

Enjoy your new ride!

I'm surprised you haven't first called them and emailed them ([email protected]). A waste of time, maybe, but a necessary step to show fault with them instead of assuming.

They are probably out of stock, and will tell you to wait, but at least you know. They are very disorganized, unfortunately.

You can also get them on eBay for a small premium:
Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapter, NEMA 14-30, OEM, NEW (SKU 1104937-00-B) | eBay

... maybe thats why they're out of stock (some guy on eBay buying 22 of them to resell @2x)

Last edited:
I ordered one (none at local sc) from Tesla and a splitter (so I could use the plug from the dryer either for the dryer or to charge without unplugging) from amazon on the same day.
Amazon acknowledged my order and sent shipping info. Arrived 2 days later.
Tesla - nothing. After a week I emailed support - about 5 days later I got a response that basically said "it will ship when it ships"
Arrived after about 2 weeks - did get an email about delivery a day or two before it was delivered. The only way I know tesla got the order was that my cc was charged when I ordered!

I'm surprised you haven't first called them and emailed them ([email protected]). A waste of time, maybe, but a necessary step to show fault with them instead of assuming.

They are probably out of stock, and will tell you to wait, but at least you know. They are very disorganized, unfortunately.

You can also get them on eBay for a small premium:
Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapter, NEMA 14-30, OEM, NEW (SKU 1104937-00-B) | eBay

... maybe thats why they're out of stock (some guy on eBay buying 22 of them to resell @2x)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Mode...762847&hash=item5b4d9e1697:g:bokAAOSwTJtbwSTk
Oh I went through all that, hence the TL;DR summary. There is no way of calling them. I sent them an email every day. They finally responded to the first email I sent nearly three weeks later.

Not gonna type out all the rest, but yes, I jumped through every hoop available.

This is exactly what happened to me a few months ago. I got the "label created" advisory from FedEx and then nothing. I waited six weeks thinking it was probably out of stock, then emailed Tesla out of frustration. They responded that day saying that this was a FedEx issue but they (Tesla) would immediately initiate a second shipment. It arrived three business days later. I recommend that you email Tesla soonest.

BTW, much of what I have ordered from Tesla in the past that was shipped via FedEx often arrives in a battered or damaged box or envelope. The item shipped has always worked without issue and has suffered no cosmetic damage, so I have never complained. However, items I've ordered in the past from other vendors that were shipped via FedEx have always arrived on-time, in perfect condition and in an undamaged container, so the problem may be unique to the Tesla/FedEx relationship. To echo what others have said above, if an item is available from another vendor, I recommend that you order from that vendor.

Ordered from Tesla Sept 9. Recieved Sept 12.

Attachments

• 20190913_121110.jpg
    20190913_121110.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 92
Check to see if your local service center has one in stock. I picked one up from them day of my m3p delivery.
my Tesla dealer claimed they had no way for me to pay for an adapter and didn't keep those things in stock. I drove back the same day I purchased my car after I realized I completely forgot to ask for an adapter.

I had to wait a week and a half for my adapter. the 110v was NOT enough to keep up with my daily driving and I ended up having to hit the SC twice during that period.

my Tesla dealer claimed they had no way for me to pay for an adapter and didn't keep those things in stock. I drove back the same day I purchased my car after I realized I completely forgot to ask for an adapter.

I had to wait a week and a half for my adapter. the 110v was NOT enough to keep up with my daily driving and I ended up having to hit the SC twice during that period.

It was the service center that had it. Not the sales center.