Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema Gen 2 Adapters vs. What Came with my MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I'm a newbie Tesla owner and SO excited! I'm looking at all the accessories online, and the Nema Gen 2 adapters seem to make sense (charge your car really quickly with the mobile charger that comes with the car when you are on the road and don't have access to a supercharger or your wall charger). I like the idea of having a "Plan B." But, I know that at least one adapter comes with your mobile charger, so I can plug it into my outlet at home already. What's the benefit of buying the Nema Adapter bundle vs. the one that came with the car?

The mobile charging cable that is included with the car has those changeable adapters. It does come with one adapter. That is for an outlet type called 5-15, which is the standard regular 120 volt wall outlets in your house. That is generally too low power to be very useful for standard daily charging. But there are a few other 240V outlet types that are commonly installed, like 30 amp or 50 amp types, and there are adapters in the Tesla store for that, which you can buy for $35 each. I wouldn't buy the entire bundle. It's just going to be lots you will never use.

If you want a quick reference to skim to learn about what some of the outlet types are, here:
NEMA connector - Wikipedia
14-30 is commonly used for clothes dryers. 14-50 commonly used for ovens. You could get either of those installed in your garage and buy the right adapter for it, and charge from that.

What's the benefit of buying the Nema Adapter bundle vs. the one that came with the car?

Most EV charging stations have J1772, so it is very unlikely that you will unexpectedly find yourself in the position of needing an adapter outside the home. Some campgrounds have 14-50 outlets, if you visit campgrounds. Your friends may have a drier plug, but easy to ask for a photo which one.

It is better not to buy all the adapters, but buy them only as needed, as they are expensive.

I bought the $35 Tesla 14-50 Gen 2 adapter and this $39 adapter:

upload_2020-9-13_8-2-18.jpeg

I bought the $35 Tesla 14-50 Gen 2 adapter and this $39 adapter:
I am familiar with that adapter (I have one), but why? That is their 14-XX adapter pigtail that can plug into 14-30, 14-50, or 14-60 outlets. So you paid $39 for these two problems:

1. It only gains you one additional outlet type. You can use 14-30 outlets, which a real Tesla adapter would have done for $35 instead of $39. I'm not bothering to mention the 14-60 because I dare you to find one anywhere. It's not something you're going to run across.

2. By using that non-standard pigtail with your Tesla 14-50 plug, it is not going to set the current properly for you, and you must remember to turn it down on the car's screen for 14-30 outlets. That's not a good reliable long term solution.

I mentioned earlier that I have one, but that's only because we didn't have a lot of choice back in 2014/2015. Tesla was not offering any 14-30 or 10-30 adapters, so we were having to adapt everything to 14-50. That's not necessary or a good idea now that Tesla has a much wider adapter offering with the current UMC.