Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema L16-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a pic

Attachments

• 0B7A86CA-9104-427C-91F9-C2E6E3023A5B.jpeg
    0B7A86CA-9104-427C-91F9-C2E6E3023A5B.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 409
Definitely not. That's 480V AC (3-phase).

Edit: Well, in the world of "anything you could do", you could build a transformer to take it back down to 240V... :rolleyes:

3-phase 480V has 277V phase to neutral. It MAY be possible, but maybe not using UMC?

Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

Looks like the cars CAN take 277V, although S/X are a bit more sensitive.

Actually, doing a little more research it looks like the L16 connector doesn't contain the neutral line, so it's a 3 phase Delta configuration, where the only thing you can get out of it is 480V. So not, you can not use this receptacle.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man
3-phase 480V has 277V phase to neutral. It MAY be possible, but maybe not using UMC?

Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

Looks like the cars CAN take 277V, although S/X are a bit more sensitive.
...except that NEMA 16 is 4-wire grounding, not 5-wire, so there is no neutral. It's 3 phases and ground. (Yes, I'm working under the assumption that we are not hijacking ground as a neutral!)

But for the sake of argument, if it did have neutral, you could use an HPWC, but not a UMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
...except that NEMA 16 is 4-wire grounding, not 5-wire, so there is no neutral. It's 3 phases and ground. (Yes, I'm working under the assumption that we are not hijacking ground as a neutral!)

But for the sake of argument, if it did have neutral, you could use an HPWC, but not a UMC.
IIRC, neutrals are only used to get 120VAC out of 240VAC. My apprenticeship memories are fading from lack of use.

'cuz what he needs to do is just change the outlet out so he can plug his car straight into 480V... o_O

If there theoretically was a neutral line that wasn't being used he'd be able to install a receptacle that has a neutral plug, and then use some kind of adapter or EVSE that can take just 1 of the phases and supply 277V to the car, which may be able to accept it. But this is at his work, so he's probably not allowed to be screwing around with electrical outlets!

Also I doubt there's a neutral connection since this is probably a delta 3-phase

'cuz what he needs to do is just change the outlet out so he can plug his car straight into 480V... o_O

He got the used plastic plug from work. I doubt his house is wired for 480V. The 14-50 is appropriate for home installation and for use with the Tesla charging cord. No one is suggesting using a 14-50 outlet with 480V supply.

He got the used plastic plug from work. I doubt his house is wired for 480V. The 14-50 is appropriate for home installation and for use with the Tesla charging cord. No one is suggesting using a 14-50 outlet with 480V supply.
Huh? Nowhere did it say he "got the used plastic plug from work". I'm pretty sure a normal interpretation of the initial post is that this outlet exists at their workplace, and they'd like to plug into it to charge.

Thats correct. Its at my workplace.

Oh. Well, that’s different. When you said, “Got this plug at work”, you didn’t mean that you physically obtained the plug at work and took it home, you meant “we’ve got this plug at work, and I want to plug my expensive electric car into this 480 volt plug, and instead of checking with Tesla, an electrician, or reading the car’s manual, I’ll ask random people on line if I should do it”. Good to know.

So it’s a live outlet. You shouldn’t try to plug your car into it.

Don’t buy that plug from Lowes.

None of us have done this so you’re on new ground here. If you do plug your car into it, take pictures and let us know what happens. If there’s a fire, you should take a movie.