Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema plug into generator with adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the Tesla charger know what amperage it can pull? For instance I’m looking to have a backup in case of power outage, my Genset won’t power my 50a circuit but I have a second gasoline genset with a L14-30a plug. If I use a 14-50 to L14-30 adapter will the Tesla charge blow the genset breaker since it thinks it can pull the full 50a?
I know I could just go to a super charger but seems like a good thing to know in general.
Thanks

There’s a resistor in the charging adapter. You could use your plan, but would have to set the car to only charge at 24 amps. You’d be better off buying the 30 amp adapter from Tesla and not worrying.

also, I don’t think the charger works if there’s no ground. You can buy a grounding rod and attach it to the genset, which should work.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There’s a resistor in the charging adapter. You could use your plan, but would have to set the car to only charge at 24 amps. You’d be better off buying the 30 amp adapter from Tesla and not worrying.

also, I don’t think the charger works if there’s no ground. You can buy a grounding rod and attach it to the genset, which should work.
Really good point about the ground, I’ll make a cable that grounds it into my home system (a 110 plug that only does ground).
To keep from overloading anything I plan on getting the 6-20.

thanks for the help