Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nerd humor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
\s in a regular expression matches any white space.
Okay thanks. Could you please use non-programming words to explain “\sX” to me?

Does “X” stand for “SpaceX”?

If so, does “\sX” translate to “Everything is about SpaceX” or something similar?

While I’m not a programmer, I can still enjoy things like xkcd.com but I’m not grasping Bruce’s intended meaning of “\sX”.

Last edited:
While I’m not a programmer, I can still enjoy things like xkcd.com but I’m not grasping Bruce’s intended meaning of “\sX”.

You could pronounce "\sX" as "space X" (although a couple of other people upthread suggested regular expressions that might be a better fit).

It wasn't my joke for the record....came from one of my coworkers who is a SpaceX enthusiast.

Bruce.

You could pronounce "\sX" as "space X"
Okay...I guess I need to Google what a “regex puzzle” is so I can get the joke...
I've been doing a lot of regex puzzles lately and watching space stuff. Was thinking about having a "\sX" shirt made.
So I went to Regex Crossword and now have to try doing a puzzle tonight.

Okay thanks. Could you please use non-programming words to explain “\sX” to me?

Does “X” stand for “SpaceX”?

If so, does “\sX” translate to “Everything is about SpaceX” or something similar?

The programming language C and Unix (Linux is essentially a clone of Unix) evolved together and both use regular expressions. You might use something like \s when searching for any white space character (tab, space, etc.) in a string. \sX would technically translate to "white space X", but could translate to SpaceX too. @thecloud above did SpaceX in ASCII (in hexadecimal using C and C++ format).

Not related to the subject post in anything but spirit, this gave me a chuckle yesterday. Comes from a rando buzzfeed.

73319551-CAAC-4E63-9055-7CF76DC8D98C.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: wdolson and bxr140