Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

neroden's NOT happy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess NY is different than other states: I've never had a problem buying insurance for a car prior to actually taking possession of it or having title xfer. As a matter of fact, I always add the car to my account ahead of time, so I can provide proof so I can drive it away. Or I'm misunderstanding something about your insurance issue.

I guess NY is different than other states: I've never had a problem buying insurance for a car prior to actually taking possession of it or having title xfer. As a matter of fact, I always add the car to my account ahead of time, so I can provide proof so I can drive it away. Or I'm misunderstanding something about your insurance issue.

Neroden never owned a car before so I'd guess this is the first time he had car insurance. It's a no-brainier to coordinate when you've done it umpteen times, but everybody has to learn at least once.

Can you be more specific about what specific language that requires you to indemnify Tesla, and what specific language you think suggests that Tesla's Legal Department is trying to cheat you?

And the "telematics services agreement", which I would never sign because it purports to have me indemnify Tesla if my car gets stolen and someone else abuses the "telematics". No way in hell.

Tesla's legal department has prepared documents which I'd expect to see from someone trying to cheat me, and which I do NOT see at a regular car dealer. Real nice work, Tesla.

wow...you guys are tough. Neroden deserves some break. Though I love Tesla Motors and I own stock--which did well today--there are few issues that Tesla needs to improve and those have been mentioned earlier in the thread. I, too, am frustrated at this point with communication problems from my PS, who keeps telling me that my car is in production. It's been in production for 8 days now and no end in sight yet (I know...it takes 6-10 days as standard line). I got my VIN, final MVPA done, finances all squared away, but my car is not ready. past my window by 3 days now and my PS tells me it'll "likely" be ready in another 2 weeks. In the meantime, those who came after me, with higher seq # by about 1000 or so and VIN higher by 200 or so are already getting contacted to schedule a pick up with completed vehicles--just waiting for final inspection and their window has just started. And one of them has exactly the same configuration--same battery, non-perf, etc. I think sound is the only difference. when asked my PS why that is, all he says is "your car will be ready when it's ready".

I'm not trying to ungrateful...I know there are lots of those who came before me, waited much longer than me, but that doesn't take away the agony of waiting for my car, especially when I see so many beautiful pictures posted here.

Some of these issues should be addressed by Tesla as they grow as a company. I still love them and I'm sure I'll love the car when I finally get it.

wow...you guys are tough. Neroden deserves some break.
I think the general pushback is when someone says "XYZ sucks but I won't give you details." It's not debatable or actionable.

It's like telling your mechanic "my car's broken" and not specifying in what way. A patient mechanic will pull out of you some more information. A friend might do the same. But they're being generous to do so, rather than satisfying some obligation.

I do think communications are a concern that Tesla management needs to deal with. Over the past month I've called the customer experience (or whatever it's called now) folks with a few questions related to financing and delivery. Both times the person I spoke with could not answer my questions and promised to call me back with answers. And both times the call was never returned. Based on what I've read about others' experiences, this seems to be a pattern and it's not good.

wow...you guys are tough. Neroden deserves some break.
Unfortunately, TMC has become a forum where the very idea of criticism of Tesla is unacceptable to the 'mob'. IMO we really need to start thinking about the bigger picture here and understand that criticism can be healthy and constructive.... for Tesla to survive they must grow and improve every aspect of their product, company, and management. Give the guy a break and let him share his reality for the benefit of all!

I got insurance for my Model S 3 full weeks before I got the car. Not hard at all once you have a VIN. Heck Progressive would have started insurance without a VIN (I gave them a copy of my pre-MVPA) but said my rate might change when the VIN comes. Super easy to do. Canceling my previous insurance with GEICO was harder.

I did have communication problems until the day I actually got my car (Jan 21), since then I get rapid response. Tesla did NOT do anything to help me get my car registered, or pay sales tax in Georgia though. And that did take some time, and headache. But I don't blame Tesla, I bought the car in California technically. My car came with California registration, It was good for 60 days according to the Georgia Tag office, it wasn't as good as a Georgia one legally, but allowed me to have insurance, and drive around legally.

I also knowingly signed up for a bad experience, I was emailed, and called and told verbally though for my 'December' delivery. So I am not complaining. If the experiences is the same way I would feel bad, but this was better than all but one of my car buying experiences at a dealership. The month of December was rough, I initiated all communication. January was much better. The 24 hours after I got my car I had over a dozen calls from various Tesla people all trying to make me happy.

And if Tesla is selling you the car from California, I wouldn't expect them to do anything to get your car titled and registered in your state. If they are helping that is pure bonus. But being in NY and them having stores there I would expect them to sell you the car in NY.

Unfortunately, TMC has become a forum where the very idea of criticism of Tesla is unacceptable to the 'mob'. IMO we really need to start thinking about the bigger picture here and understand that criticism can be healthy and constructive.... for Tesla to survive they must grow and improve every aspect of their product, company, and management. Give the guy a break and let him share his reality for the benefit of all!

His 'reality' is harshing my mellow, man.

...seriously, I'm the first guy to admit there are two sides to every story (at the very least!). But over a lifetime I finally learned that being judgmental is not always a bad thing. And in this case, my better judgement has led me to discount the OP's opinions and pronouncements.

BTW, I'm with you all the way when you write, "...criticism can be healthy and constructive." But that requires sensitivity and good faith, on both sides. I choose to believe I'm dealing with a company that's filled with bright, enthusiastic and motivated people who are trying their level best to succeed at a very difficult endeavor. When I have a beef with Tesla, I frame my queries politely and try to remember that we're all in this together: to date, I'm happy to report, my concerns have been addressed with courtesy and a "git 'er done" attitude, across the board. Of course, YMMV, but it works for me.

Kevin: people complain on here all the time with many legitimate concerns and don't get ganged up on. Check out the mechanical issues thread.

What people have a problem with is someone who's threatened the company multiple times and obviously unhappy with Tesla buying the car then complaining about it but not saying what they are complaining about exactly.

What people have a problem with is someone who's threatened the company multiple times and obviously unhappy with Tesla buying the car then complaining about it but not saying what they are complaining about exactly.
That I can fully appreciate... maybe the mods need to watch these 'contentious' threads more carefully and tone down some of the dismissive language that's used by participants?

If the OP has a problem with telematics, this is not the car for him. Stay away from any cars with OnStar, too.
If the OP believes Tesla's out to screw him, this is not the company for him.

Plain and simple.

I fail to see the insurance issue. Once you get your VIN, get with your insurance and set it up to start on your expected delivery date. I had to call my insurance company twice to push back the start date until my car was delivered. It was really no big deal.

I agree that there are communications issues right now. But hell, Tesla as a company went from zero to sixty faster than the Model S Performance. These things are understandable at this point. If this is still happening a year from now, we ought to start getting concerned.

Me? I'm effing loving the car, loving the fact that I haven't gone to a gas station in almost 2 months, and learning to love the company, in spite of its quirks and growing pains, which I'm sure will alleviate over time.

Step back and look at the big picture here. There hasn't been a successful new car company in the US with production numbers anywhere near as high as the Model S since 1925 (Chrysler). (Somebody fact-check me on that). If you're expecting things to flow as smoothly as BMW/Audi/Mercedes service right out of the bat, you're dreaming. If that's the most important thing to you, don't get a Tesla. Personally I think you'd be nuts to give up all the other benefits because of this. Enjoy your $5/gallon gas.

Give them time. Rome wasn't built overnight.

If you're not willing to make a few initial sacrifices here and there in order to drive this awesome car, then just move on. Plain and simple.

I agree that there are communications issues right now. But hell, Tesla as a company went from zero to sixty faster than the Model S Performance. These things are understandable at this point. If this is still happening a year from now, we ought to start getting concerned.

Exactly. It's pretty obvious from this forum that there are communications issues. Some have not experienced them at all. Others have. Tesla continues to amaze the naysayers. The communications issues will be worked out. As Todd says; if they're not in a reasonable amount of time we should get concerned. In the meantime; this experience for me will be complete with the fun and exciting status it deserves in my life. Glitches aside.

Mods ... could you change the title of this thread, maybe?
Kinda bad landing page for this forum to see NOT happy as the headline for New posts?
Or is that censorship?

If he's not happy, he's not happy. IMO changing the title of the thread would make sense if it was really inflammatory or inaccurate. Seems to accurately reflect the thread.

No, we've discussed that censorship is perfectly okay (or should I get out my drum and soapbox again? :) )

Changing the thread title to be more informative is reasonable ("NOT happy with personal experience"?) but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

As for Kevin's comments, neroden has had the little red box for quite some time - you can read about his cancelled first order, the "deal-breakers", the threats, etc.

Read through my posts -- I both criticize Tesla when they deserve it, and praise them when they deserve it. The delivery communications on my car was absolutely horrible, but as we got closer they got much better and Tesla ended up being the most flexible company that I've dealt with in years. I'm not some Tesla-does-no-wrong lynch mob member, but I do call out when others are being unfair.