Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nervous about suspension/Axel issues and shuddering...HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, cancel your order unless you have extreme patience. I own a late 2019 X-LR and it has loads of problems. Here's my biggest issue: There is NO HUMAN CUSTOMER SERVICE from Tesla. Every attempt to contact them leads back to using the App to schedule an appointment. It is a 6 hour round trip for me to get to a service center. I have many questions before I arrive like do I need to get a rental car or how long will repairs take.

Here's a partial list of the problems:
  1. The cab overheat protection does not work. It reports 85° when outside temp is 110° and the interior is over 150° .
  2. There is a grinding, grumbling noise from the front motor during acceleration. Especially noticeable when car is loaded with people.
  3. Using the touchscreen to select charging does nothing.
  4. Using the charge icon at the top of the touchscreen raises a blank window.
  5. Sometimes the charge port will not open when presenting the charge cable. It has to be done from the touchscreen.
  6. The driver door window is slow and will sometimes reverse itself about 3/4 of the way up.
  7. There are loud, explosive pops coming from the speaker system. It sounds like stone hitting the windshield.
  8. Sometimes the explosive pop will disable the entire sound system. This includes turn signal, warning tones, all radio functions.
  9. Sometimes Sirius XM radio just stops working. (might be fixed now)
  10. The driver side windshield wiper blew off the car at 70MPH. Tesla said it is not warranted when certain parts fall off your new car.
  11. Sometimes the wrong driver profile is loading when entering the car even when that key fob is miles away. You must manualy set the correct profile.
  12. Sometimes the driver door will not open when approaching the vehicle.
  13. Sometimes driver door will just open a crack and stop with nothing blocking it.
  14. Rear doors will not fully open even though fully open this location is selected.
  15. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the driver door.
  16. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the passenger door.
  17. The strip of rubber is hanging loose and the driver side rear door.
  18. When selecting my driver profile there is the sound of popping and cracking in the seat back.
  19. The paint job is full of orange peel.
  20. There is a paint smear in the rear passenger side door area.
  21. There is grit in the paint above the driver door area.
  22. Loose molding on left rear door.
  23. Loose left from camera.
  24. Front facing camera lower edge is cloudy.
  25. Rattle in right front door.

Autopilot
I understand Autopilot is not fully developed but some of these things make driving very dangerous to me and drivers around me.

1. Sudden breaking at interstate speeds when nothing is in front or near the front.
  2. Jerky acceleration from a stop. (Accelerate hard, let off, accelerate hard again).
  3. Cruise control not taking over after turned on, car slows then accelerates (like a 1980’s cruise control).
  4. Very slow acceleration from stoplight with new stoplight feature.
  5. Takes 1/2 mile to reach 50MPH speed.
  6. Begins lane change after signaling then suddenly jerks back to the lane I was in. No one is near me in the passing lane.
  7. Won’t lane change using turn signal, even after 3 tries.
  8. Suddenly brakes hard if someone turns across the road very far ahead of me, 4-5 seconds ahead.
  9. Will not automatically signal lane change on the entrance ramp. If I signal, the car may try to change two lanes instead of entering the right lane.
  10. Car swerves in and out of the acceleration on ramp when I am cruising at highway speed and passing an on ramp. Sometimes it brakes and sounds a warning tone to take control.
  11. Many times getting emergency warnings and sudden braking for no known reason, the car just flips out.

You should delete your post, stop posting your issues online and sell it.

• Disagree
Reactions: clayton006 and Yinn
You should delete your post, stop posting your issues online and sell it.

Hello Plan B,

Why do you say I should delete my post? My point in replying to the OP is to help people know what could happen to them if the buy a Tesla. Some people won't take it very well as it requires much patience to deal with Tesla.

As far as selling my car, I am not even considering that. Even with all the problems and total lack of customer service, it is still an amazing technology that they have developed. Nothing else on the market comes close. I LOVE driving my Tesla, even with al the bugs and trouble. Just FYI, I'm also a stockholder and plan on buying the truck in the future. Have a great day.

Reactions: Yinn and K2500Z71
Yes, cancel your order unless you have extreme patience. I own a late 2019 X-LR and it has loads of problems. Here's my biggest issue: There is NO HUMAN CUSTOMER SERVICE from Tesla. Every attempt to contact them leads back to using the App to schedule an appointment. It is a 6 hour round trip for me to get to a service center. I have many questions before I arrive like do I need to get a rental car or how long will repairs take.

Here's a partial list of the problems:
  1. The cab overheat protection does not work. It reports 85° when outside temp is 110° and the interior is over 150° .
  2. There is a grinding, grumbling noise from the front motor during acceleration. Especially noticeable when car is loaded with people.
  3. Using the touchscreen to select charging does nothing.
  4. Using the charge icon at the top of the touchscreen raises a blank window.
  5. Sometimes the charge port will not open when presenting the charge cable. It has to be done from the touchscreen.
  6. The driver door window is slow and will sometimes reverse itself about 3/4 of the way up.
  7. There are loud, explosive pops coming from the speaker system. It sounds like stone hitting the windshield.
  8. Sometimes the explosive pop will disable the entire sound system. This includes turn signal, warning tones, all radio functions.
  9. Sometimes Sirius XM radio just stops working. (might be fixed now)
  10. The driver side windshield wiper blew off the car at 70MPH. Tesla said it is not warranted when certain parts fall off your new car.
  11. Sometimes the wrong driver profile is loading when entering the car even when that key fob is miles away. You must manualy set the correct profile.
  12. Sometimes the driver door will not open when approaching the vehicle.
  13. Sometimes driver door will just open a crack and stop with nothing blocking it.
  14. Rear doors will not fully open even though fully open this location is selected.
  15. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the driver door.
  16. A strip of rubber is hanging loose in the hinge area of the passenger door.
  17. The strip of rubber is hanging loose and the driver side rear door.
  18. When selecting my driver profile there is the sound of popping and cracking in the seat back.
  19. The paint job is full of orange peel.
  20. There is a paint smear in the rear passenger side door area.
  21. There is grit in the paint above the driver door area.
  22. Loose molding on left rear door.
  23. Loose left from camera.
  24. Front facing camera lower edge is cloudy.
  25. Rattle in right front door.

Autopilot
I understand Autopilot is not fully developed but some of these things make driving very dangerous to me and drivers around me.

1. Sudden breaking at interstate speeds when nothing is in front or near the front.
  2. Jerky acceleration from a stop. (Accelerate hard, let off, accelerate hard again).
  3. Cruise control not taking over after turned on, car slows then accelerates (like a 1980’s cruise control).
  4. Very slow acceleration from stoplight with new stoplight feature.
  5. Takes 1/2 mile to reach 50MPH speed.
  6. Begins lane change after signaling then suddenly jerks back to the lane I was in. No one is near me in the passing lane.
  7. Won’t lane change using turn signal, even after 3 tries.
  8. Suddenly brakes hard if someone turns across the road very far ahead of me, 4-5 seconds ahead.
  9. Will not automatically signal lane change on the entrance ramp. If I signal, the car may try to change two lanes instead of entering the right lane.
  10. Car swerves in and out of the acceleration on ramp when I am cruising at highway speed and passing an on ramp. Sometimes it brakes and sounds a warning tone to take control.
  11. Many times getting emergency warnings and sudden braking for no known reason, the car just flips out.
This all seems like an extreme outlier to me...? Do you live in an area where it's very Rural and lanes aren't always clearly defined? Was this a new car when you bought it? Did these problems present themselves right away or after a long period of time? I have some of these autopilot issues on my Model 3. I've never once felt like I was in danger. It felt more like a kink needing to be learned by computers/autopilot in general. I find it hard to believe that Model X's can be THIS bad. I'm not discounting your experience because it's obviously happened but my buddy owns a 2018 Model X and has for 2 years and he hasn't had a single problem. Quality Control seems all over the board. Has anyone else had this many issues?

I've never once felt like I was in danger. It felt more like a kink needing to be learned by computers/autopilot in general.

In fairness, everyone has a different tolerance here as to what danger is. The phantom brake pedal on the passengers side of all my cars is a testament to that. So your kinks may be dangerous to them..

I find it hard to believe that Model X's can be THIS bad. I'm not discounting your experience because it's obviously happened but my buddy owns a 2018 Model X and has for 2 years and he hasn't had a single problem. Quality Control seems all over the board. Has anyone else had this many issues?

There are many issues listed that I have not had. But there are also many on there that I have had. This is across 3 Model X's. 2016, 2017, 2020. None of the 3 have made it one full year without a service center visit.

For hardware, I am honest when it comes to my Tesla. I absolutely like having one but across the board they have been the most problematic cars (based on # of total service visits) I have ever owned. Both initially and over time. Some won't agree, they're entitled to their experience as well. I just wish I had gotten one of theirs.

For software, I've actually found AP to be inconsistent car to car. I don't have confirmation of this, but I think each car learns their owners behavior and preferences (or not properly calibrated). Even on the same software versions, I have one car that absolutely hugs the left lane, uncomfortably so for me. It rarely ever beeps at me or initiates a correction. In this car, I more frequently jump in to stop it from doing something stupid than the other way around.

Contrasty, I have one that is dead center. But holy cow is it touchy. A bird could be 200 yards away and it'll detect obstacle and slam on the brakes (exaggerating) A couple inches over and lane departure kicks in and slams me back the other way.

This all seems like an extreme outlier to me...? Do you live in an area where it's very Rural and lanes aren't always clearly defined? Was this a new car when you bought it? Did these problems present themselves right away or after a long period of time? I have some of these autopilot issues on my Model 3. I've never once felt like I was in danger. It felt more like a kink needing to be learned by computers/autopilot in general. I find it hard to believe that Model X's can be THIS bad. I'm not discounting your experience because it's obviously happened but my buddy owns a 2018 Model X and has for 2 years and he hasn't had a single problem. Quality Control seems all over the board. Has anyone else had this many issues?

Hello,
I am in Yuma, AZ, the roads are very well done and marked.
I purchased the X-LR new in October.
Which problems are you asking about? The acceleration grinding noise in the front started on our first road trip. We started with about 2500 miles and the trip was 4500 Miles in December to Toledo Ohio and back. I think it is getting worse.
The autopilot issues seem to change with updates. The most dangerous is the sudden braking or swerving after signaling a lane change when at high speeds and other cars are near. I have seen people panic braking when they see my car act erratic. Because of that I have limited my use when traffic is heavy.

I think during the time my car was being produced there was a huge push to get the cars out so they would show a profit that quarter. Quality suffered.

Larry

Hello,
I am in Yuma, AZ, the roads are very well done and marked.
I purchased the X-LR new in October.
Which problems are you asking about? The acceleration grinding noise in the front started on our first road trip. We started with about 2500 miles and the trip was 4500 Miles in December to Toledo Ohio and back. I think it is getting worse.
The autopilot issues seem to change with updates. The most dangerous is the sudden braking or swerving after signaling a lane change when at high speeds and other cars are near. I have seen people panic braking when they see my car act erratic. Because of that I have limited my use when traffic is heavy.

I think during the time my car was being produced there was a huge push to get the cars out so they would show a profit that quarter. Quality suffered.

Larry
I wonder if most new Model X’s get delivered at the very end of the quarter. That might be something to try and track somehow to see if that’s why they’re so inconsistent in general.

There is a grinding, grumbling noise from the front motor during acceleration. Especially noticeable when car is loaded with people.
I get this too, it's subtle but there. My old ICE car got very loud when I accelerated, and it was not subtle :)

Using the charge icon at the top of the touchscreen raises a blank window.
This is an aggravating bug that's been there for literally years. Often a second attempt to open the charging window will succeed.

Sometimes the charge port will not open when presenting the charge cable. It has to be done from the touchscreen.
This happened to me the other day. It's happened one other time in 7 years of ownership. Hope they fix it, but it's not terrible. You can press on the edge of the charge port cover to open it too.
Sometimes driver door will just open a crack and stop with nothing blocking it.
This, and on the rear doors, happens when that door has been baking in the sun.

That problem with the doors not opening has to do with the sensors. Sometimes when they get hot, they think that something is obstructing the door. It happens more often on darker colored cars (since they get hotter when the sun shines on them) than white. I rejected delivery of the first car I ordered (midnight silver) that exhibited this problem. The white one I have now has never exhibited the issue.

Reactions: apfleisc
Hey, everyone. I just recently purchased a 2020 Model X LR+ on 22" rims on Tesla's website. I haven't received it yet or even been assigned a VIN, so I'm in the waiting game. However, I've come across the suspension issues in my research on the internet. Tires wearing on the inside, suspensions/axels breaking out of nowhere, vehicle shuddering, etc. Now, I'm wondering if I should cancel my Model X order or if this is something that has only been common on older models. I'm extremely nervous. Are newer Model X's having these issues still? For the amount of money I'm paying for this car, I don't want these problems/baggage to come along with it. Any insight from you experienced Tesla owners would be great and super helpful. Is this something I need to be worried about or is this a concern for past years only? Thanks.
Did Tesla replace your tires?

I bought a one-year old Tesla MX, 2020 model. Everything seems fine with the exception of two things:

1) A very reproducible shudder, but only when accelerating, and only between 50 and 60 km/h. It is not happening when I hold the speed at say 55 km/h, and it’s also not happening when decelerating from 60 down to 50 km/h.
2) A fairly annoying wind hissing noise when going over about 120 km/h on the autobahn. Seems to be coming from the rear driver-side Falconwing door.

Does anyone have similar issues? Do you think of service center would be able to fix either of these?

1) i had read about it but wasn’t sure a shudder on mild acceleration only in such a narrow speed range was THE shudder. Apparently there is a recent Tesla shudder service bulletin code SB-21-39-001 (May 2021).
2) Thanks, will check. Just fold them back or take for service?

1) that’s correct, new TSB is out

2) I had some success for folding it back, but one part is still folded, Tesla mobile ranger tried hot air gun but with no success. Seems it will require replacement and FSD adjustments.

Fortunately whistling is only noticeable at 40-50kmh. So, not so big annoyance.

So I went to the Hannover (Germany) service center, and they did the 3 hour repair. It doesn’t look as extensive as the SB I referenced above, and even the half shaft part numbers are different, but it did the trick! No more shudder!
C6376A18-772F-41DD-9E14-6FF85948D0E6.png