Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nervous About The VIN I Get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My First Post!! Excited to be a Tesla Model 3 Owner!

My First New Car and because of how recent I reserved and the process moves so fast, I am very nervous.

Should I worry about the close to ~33XXX VIN number as there are already some starting with 4 and 5?

Reserved: Oct 2017
Invited: June 28 2018
Configured: June 29 2018
Vin: July 13, 2018
Vin: 330XX
delivery scheduled: July 21 2018
RWD LR Solid Black 18' PUP

• Love
Reactions: WarpedOne
What are you going to worry about then when the VINs hit 100,000s, 200,000?

Seriously just pay attention to the fit and finish and enjoy the car. I'm sure you will get a car in great shape. Don't worry about the VIN. The only VINs I would worry about are the VERY EARLY builds but we are well beyond that point now.

Also VINs are not always assigned in sequence. Pay more attention to the build date.

I second the motion.

When have you ever known or cared about a VIN on a car?

Put it out of your mind and just enjoy the damn car!

What are you going to worry about then when the VINs hit 100,000s, 200,000?

Seriously just pay attention to the fit and finish and enjoy the car. I'm sure you will get a car in great shape. Don't worry about the VIN. The only VINs I would worry about are the VERY EARLY builds but we are well beyond that point now.

Also VINs are not always assigned in sequence. Pay more attention to the build date.

Ya, I think I should and I will definitely enjoy this new car! I am very excited about it! I have already planned projects around it, installing the NEMA outlet, central console wrap.... :)

Thanks for the replies!!

If you look at the VIN chart HERE, many people have reported VINs between 20K-30K in July. Tesla is mixing up things to obscure their production numbers. In comparison, HERE is how the Model X VIN chart looks like. These days, on any given day, the VIN range is about 2,000 units for the Model X VINs and about 30,000 units for the Model 3 VINs. It changes between 20K-50K. A lower VIN doesn't mean your car was produced in May.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916
My VIN is on the higher side at 48XXX and it's been in service for the past 4 days. I've got alerts saying:

Car Needs Service - Power Reduced
Car Needs Service - Car Will Not Charge
Car needs service - Car may not restart

SC will have it longer than I owned it. Long story short, VINs are equal opportunity trouble makers.

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
My First Post!! Excited to be a Tesla Model 3 Owner!

My First New Car and because of how recent I reserved and the process moves so fast, I am very nervous.

Should I worry about the close to ~33XXX VIN number as there are already some starting with 4 and 5?

Reserved: Oct 2017
Invited: June 28 2018
Configured: June 29 2018
Vin: July 13, 2018
Vin: 330XX
delivery scheduled: July 21 2018
RWD LR Solid Black 18' PUP
My VIN 42XX Has been perfect. Would not worry and enjoy the car

I am worried because the delivery advisor isn't telling me my VIN or my production date. I ordered 6/29, and got the email July 16 (Costa Mesa). Much sooner than Oct-Dec as originally quoted. Should I be worried about getting a car someone else refused delivery on, or a car that is several months old?

My VIN was in the 26000s and I got it last week. I love every square inch!!! I did a trip from NJ to VT over the first weekend. It was amazing and supercharging was even fast and easier then I ever imagined. So yeah relax and enjoy.

It all comes down to how you think about these things.

If you’re worried you’re not getting the latest greatest “build”, then what’s to say a car built today is better/worse than one 4 weeks ago, or 8 weeks ago. One could argue that cars built before the rush to 5000 a week might be better quality, probably aren’t, but my point is you can look at it both ways.

Main thing is you are happy with the car when you pick it up, which you will be :)

I'm picking my up on Monday with VIN ~31000k. The ISA said it was on the truck and would be here by the end of the week so I doubt it's a reject. My only concern is whether or not the white paint mismatch issue was resolved. I couldn't stomach mismatched paint. Fingers crossed everything is fine!