TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Nervous About The VIN I Get

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by doreamon28, Jul 13, 2018.

1. doreamon28

doreamon28 Member

My First Post!! Excited to be a Tesla Model 3 Owner!

My First New Car and because of how recent I reserved and the process moves so fast, I am very nervous.

Should I worry about the close to ~33XXX VIN number as there are already some starting with 4 and 5?

Reserved: Oct 2017
    Invited: June 28 2018
    Configured: June 29 2018
    Vin: July 13, 2018
    Vin: 330XX
    delivery scheduled: July 21 2018
    RWD LR Solid Black 18' PUP

• Love x 1
  2. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

What are you going to worry about then when the VINs hit 100,000s, 200,000?

Seriously just pay attention to the fit and finish and enjoy the car. I'm sure you will get a car in great shape. Don't worry about the VIN. The only VINs I would worry about are the VERY EARLY builds but we are well beyond that point now.

Also VINs are not always assigned in sequence. Pay more attention to the build date.

• Like x 3
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I second the motion.

When have you ever known or cared about a VIN on a car?

Put it out of your mind and just enjoy the damn car!

• Like x 2
  4. doreamon28

doreamon28 Member

Ya, I think I should and I will definitely enjoy this new car! I am very excited about it! I have already planned projects around it, installing the NEMA outlet, central console wrap.... :)

Thanks for the replies!!

• Like x 3
  5. Troy

Troy Active Member

If you look at the VIN chart HERE, many people have reported VINs between 20K-30K in July. Tesla is mixing up things to obscure their production numbers. In comparison, HERE is how the Model X VIN chart looks like. These days, on any given day, the VIN range is about 2,000 units for the Model X VINs and about 30,000 units for the Model 3 VINs. It changes between 20K-50K. A lower VIN doesn't mean your car was produced in May.

• Informative x 1
  6. dano9258

dano9258 Member

My VIN of 37XXX was produced in June so..... What are you worried about exactly?

7. robski

robski Member

My VIN is on the higher side at 48XXX and it's been in service for the past 4 days. I've got alerts saying:

Car Needs Service - Power Reduced
    Car Needs Service - Car Will Not Charge
    Car needs service - Car may not restart

SC will have it longer than I owned it. Long story short, VINs are equal opportunity trouble makers.

• Informative x 1
  8. pobudz

pobudz Member

My 26xxx has been flawless. Wouldn't worry about it too much. Problems can happen at any # VIN.

• Like x 1
  9. kengchang

kengchang Member

My VIN is X but other people are being delivered with X+20000, is my car a reject!!?!?!11

Is this ever going to stop? lol

10. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

My VIN 42XX Has been perfect. Would not worry and enjoy the car

11. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Member

My VIN is 25xxx and her born date is 6/18. Not even a month old and she's perfect.

• Like x 3
  12. derkan

derkan June Bug

I am worried because the delivery advisor isn't telling me my VIN or my production date. I ordered 6/29, and got the email July 16 (Costa Mesa). Much sooner than Oct-Dec as originally quoted. Should I be worried about getting a car someone else refused delivery on, or a car that is several months old?

13. SZNJ

SZNJ Member

My VIN was in the 26000s and I got it last week. I love every square inch!!! I did a trip from NJ to VT over the first weekend. It was amazing and supercharging was even fast and easier then I ever imagined. So yeah relax and enjoy.

14. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

It all comes down to how you think about these things.

If you’re worried you’re not getting the latest greatest “build”, then what’s to say a car built today is better/worse than one 4 weeks ago, or 8 weeks ago. One could argue that cars built before the rush to 5000 a week might be better quality, probably aren’t, but my point is you can look at it both ways.

Main thing is you are happy with the car when you pick it up, which you will be :)

15. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

I'm picking my up on Monday with VIN ~31000k. The ISA said it was on the truck and would be here by the end of the week so I doubt it's a reject. My only concern is whether or not the white paint mismatch issue was resolved. I couldn't stomach mismatched paint. Fingers crossed everything is fine!

16. Koflach

Koflach Member

My vin is still yet to arrive. What's outrageous is that people with VIN's are more outraged by having a VIN than I am by NOT having a VIN. Just be happy with what you have folks.

17. Forcelite

Forcelite Member

I have a 395xx vin that was born this month , July 2018. Be more concerned with the build date as that tells you what updates you have. The car is great btw.

• Like x 1
  18. TayTay

TayTay Member

How did you guys find out the production month with just a VIN? I know you can look at the stickers on the car. My assigned VIN is 493xx.

19. favo

favo P3D+ owner

You can ask your IDA/ISA. They can look it up.

20. doreamon28

doreamon28 Member

Update: I am very happy with my car. Do not see any issues at all!

Cheers!

• Like x 5