Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nervous now for ordering a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first post here...

I have been wanting to buy a Tesla for many years now and thankfully am in a position to purchase one now so ordered a Model S earlier in the week.

I am fully aware of some minor quality control issues for new cars so am unfortunately expecting it but after experiencing customer service and horror stories about the Tysons Corner Virginia location, I am really getting nervous. Spending over 100k on a car, one should expect basic level of service which just this week I have not. Twice the local rep, he will call me and has not yet. Then I read reviews about the local (Tysons Corner) location and it sucks. This on top of quality control issues one HAS to expect at delivery.

I know this is a Tesla forum so folks may be a bit biased but I really would appreciate your input and experiences so I can decide to continue this purchase or find something else. I feel I will get much better overall experience at Porsche or Audi.

Based on the early reports it seems like quality of the new S is pretty high. And if you want an EV that’s amazing to drive and with significant range and a charging network, there’s really no other option (yet).

What I’ve found with Tesla service is that if you have a little patience and are willing to play by their rules (eg talk to them via the app instead of calling), they do take care of issues in a reasonable timeframe. Folks on the forum can coach you through it if you have any problems.

...I feel I will get much better overall experience at Porsche or Audi...
It's very much different than hand-holding services from others.

My guess is you might have to be self-confident, self-sufficient in the Tesla world.

It's just like a self-service: Click on the web, and wait for your delivery. At the delivery, don't compromise the built quality and because it's an expensive brand new item.

For the record, I have bought 3 different Tesla cars since 2012 and the built quality has been good. It would be nice to have the hand-holding service but I doubt Tesla Customer Service will improve until there's a serious competitor.

People who buy a $30k Toyota think it is expensive and think service should be exceptional. People who buy a $50k Tesla think it is expensive and think service should be exceptional. People who buy $100k BMW, Tesla, MB think it is expensive, blah, blah. Same for $150k, $200k. It is just a car. The service shouldn't change. Tesla for sure doesn't care if you buy the least expensive 3, or the most expensive plaid. Service will be the same.

I have been wanting to buy a Tesla for many years now and thankfully am in a position to purchase one now so ordered a Model S earlier in the week.

I am fully aware of some minor quality control issues for new cars so am unfortunately expecting it but after experiencing customer service and horror stories about the Tysons Corner Virginia location, I am really getting nervous. Spending over 100k on a car, one should expect basic level of service which just this week I have not. Twice the local rep, he will call me and has not yet. Then I read reviews about the local (Tysons Corner) location and it sucks. This on top of quality control issues one HAS to expect at delivery.

I know this is a Tesla forum so folks may be a bit biased but I really would appreciate your input and experiences so I can decide to continue this purchase or find something else. I feel I will get much better overall experience at Porsche or Audi.

Welcome to TMC!

I just wanted to address your "may be a bit biased" comment. Everyone comes to TMC with their own biases, preconceived notions, and so on. In many on-line forums (including ours), people are more likely to complain online rather than say what a great (or even acceptable) experience they had. I've seen users make new accounts here just so they can post about something bad that happened to them (there's nothing wrong with that, just pointing out a fact). So I wouldn't necessary say that TMC is all about Tesla, rainbows, and unicorns.

I'm on the opposite coast of the US from you, so I have no personal experience with Tysons Corner, VA. I think you have multiple service centers in that part of the country, though?

Personally, I purchased a Model S in 2015. It had no major issues at delivery (there were a few problems that were so trivial, I deferred dealing with them for six months). It had some panel gap issues, but I didn't even notice those for four years until someone pointed them out in a photo I posted here. The usual door handle problems and eMMC failure (I think those are much less a thing on the newer cars). My dealings with various service centers around the SF Bay Area have been generally positive, no horror stories. Earlier this week I placed an order for a Model X, and I've been trading emails with a sales advisor at a nearby Tesla store. I might drop in to meet him in person this weekend.

Good luck with your decision(s) and I wish you happiness, no matter what you choose to do.

Bruce.

Tesla customer service (and vehicle service) is at the bottom of the barrel for the industry. Doesn’t matter the location.

If you are expecting Audi/Porsche level service, just cancel your order now.

The upside is Tesla’s technology is amazing. As long as you don’t *need* service you will be fine. But in my 6 years of ownership (three different vehicles), I have found my Tesla’s are in the shop more than any vehicle I have owned prior. If it’s going to be your only car, they can be a real challenge to deal with.

Tesla customer service (and vehicle service) is at the bottom of the barrel for the industry. Doesn’t matter the location.

The upside is Tesla’s technology is amazing. As long as you don’t *need* service you will be fine. But in my 6 years of ownership (three different vehicles), I have found my Tesla’s are in the shop more than any vehicle I have owned prior. If it’s going to be your only car, they can be a real challenge to deal with.
I have had my Model S since 2014, service has gone down the drain. Main reason I am ditching the company.

I had very good luck with my prior Model X, and the service was good in Orlando, Florida. I had the most aggravation with BMW and Mercedes. My Audi experience was first rate.

Tesla Advisors don’t work on commission, so some aren’t helpful after the reservation is made. Perhaps someone can recommend a SA at Tyson Corner for you. I’d search the forum for folks in your area.

You have plenty of time to change your mind. Most likely a traditional dealer order will take a while to fill too. I’d suggest watching tutorials and asking us questions. Best of luck with your Tesla experience!

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Based on the early reports it seems like quality of the new S is pretty high. And if you want an EV that’s amazing to drive and with significant range and a charging network, there’s really no other option (yet).

What I’ve found with Tesla service is that if you have a little patience and are willing to play by their rules (eg talk to them via the app instead of calling), they do take care of issues in a reasonable timeframe. Folks on the forum can coach you through it if you have any problems.
Comforting to read that new Model S so far has shown better build quality which hopefully can translate to less service visits.

I don’t mind customer service being not so good if I have to experience it 1-2 times a year. Nervousness is around whether vehicle’s quality is as bad quality of customer service.

Reactions: Drew-MS

Azhar,

I'm in the same boat except I ordered a model 3 performance just to test the waters, so to speak. Rejected the first delivery at Tyson's in late June. The delivery experience was unique so to speak - quite opposite of what you can expect from a traditional luxury car dealership.

When you arrive at Tyson's, the front area with the Tesla logo is the show/sales area. The delivery area is around the building on the right towards the middle of the side parking lot. I wanted to inspect the car's interior before accepting delivery but no one was around. I went back to the front show room and they told me to walk through a door with a sign (forgot what the sign said but it wasn't tesla delivery). The door was locked and I had to bang on the door for a while before someone opened the door. They unlocked my car remotely for me to inspect. I noticed a noticeable paint chip (among other issues) so had to knock on the locked door again to show them. The delivery person told me I can take it or leave it but it would take approx 1-2 weeks in their body shop to repair. I live over an hour away from Tysons so I decided to leave the car and wait for next VIN. I hope you have better luck with your vehicle than my first experience. From what I hear, most people have no/very minor issues.

We currently drive an Audi and Lexus and the Tesla customer service has been the worst thing about this experience. It is nearly impossible to get in touch with anyone. My Tesla account had this weird delivery bug after I rejected VIN and it took multiple emails/calls/voicemails over 10 days for them to put me back in queue. In my humble opinion, Tesla should invest/focus more on the customer service aspect of their company.

At this point, I'm waiting for the next delivery in late August supposedly and hoping for the best next time around.

Reactions: Drew-MS and gmo43

In my case here in MA my sales advisor has been exceptional. The service team at Dedham Ma has been great. I’ve been there 4 times over the life of 2 Teslas. Every time they have been great.

• Disagree
Reactions: Drew-MS and glide
Model s has been built for a decade, so they have sorted out most things. The new model seems a dramatic change, with new user interface, new heat exchange HVAC and major drive train changes in the plaid. It will take awhile for these systems to stabilize, both in implementation and production.

I have the opposite opinion. Customer service for sales and ordering may suck; my experience with service over more than four years and 100k miles in my MS has been good to great. Service both at service centers and in my office parking lot by mobile service scheduled a day after reporting an issue - the rear hatch would not open- leave nothing to complain about. A little different than the cappuccino machine at the MB dealer when I bring in my wife’s car for service but well above average. You cannot find another EV with the range and the supercharger network.

You need to throughly research Electify America network before relying on it for other makes.

Some complaints stem from factors that apply only to Tesla:
  1. Demand consistently exceeds supply. This reduces Tesla motivation to improve customer communication. Elon Musk’s hyper-optimistic time estimates aggravate the problem.

2. There are rarely new cars on the lot waiting for a buyer. Everyone has to experience delivery uncertainty. Delay between order completion and when Tesla schedules production for a batch of cars matching your spec. Delay until your vehicle is shipped. Depending on your distance from the plant, delay for transfer between transportation modes ship, rail, truck…
  3. Points 1 & 2 guarantee frustration. There’s a long period between submitting your order and receiving a call to schedule delivery with absolutely no communication from Tesla.

4. Tesla quietly “slip-streams” improvements into production as they are ready, not batching them up for a new model year. First you are frustrated by a long interval between order and delivery. Then you may be disappointed when you realize that your new car could have had the new LED headlights if the batch had started two weeks later.

5. Tesla order and service processes are strange, obscurely documented (if at all) and frequently mis-communicated by their staff. See #1.
Review several recent threads for your current stage and the next one now.

For example-your Tesla order is not complete until you provide insurance information and payment information. However, you can provide a scan of your current vehicle’s insurance card. You can also specify cash payment now. Once you have a VIN and reasonably firm delivery date, you can submit updated information.

Our Model S is still a pleasure after 4.5 years and close to 60,000 miles. I expect you’ll probably enjoy yours even more.

Last edited:
I have had my Model S since 2014, service has gone down the drain. Main reason I am ditching the company.
And what are you going to buy instead ? A Nissan Leaf, Polestar, ID4, Etron ?
Someone just needs to weigh the pros and cons and when that’s done, there isn’t a viable EV alternative at the moment. If someone doesn’t drive much, then the advantage of the SC network might not matter. If an ice car sounds like a better option, then good luck with that. Even though Tesla service isn’t perfect, I’ll deal with it. For now anyway. No other sensible options.

Someone just needs to weigh the pros and cons and when that’s done, there isn’t a viable EV alternative at the moment. If someone doesn’t drive much, then the advantage of the SC network might not matter. If an ice car sounds like a better option, then good luck with that. Even though Tesla service isn’t perfect, I’ll deal with it. For now anyway. No other sensible options.
This is the exact reason I chose Tesla for my first EV order but am trying to mentally be prepared for experiences not had with traditional car makers 😀

Is there a requirement to buy an EV that I’m not aware of?