Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nervous of new car sounds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I just picked up my Model 3 Performance a few days ago. Love it so far!!

A question about charging. I’m waiting for my wall charger to be wired in and am currently using the mobile charger in a regular wall socket.

the car is in the garage and the temp reading is about 70 degrees. When the car is charging there is a constant hum from inside and outside the car, like the sound of a fridge. From what I’ve read I assume it is the coolant pump or fans.

Is this normal to have the pump/fans running when charging in reg ambient temperature?

I haven’t sat in the car for hours but seems to be humming constantly.
Thx,

Diana.

While its normal for the car to "run stuff" while charging, that noise could also be coming from something else. Many people charging with "a regular wall outlet", dont realize there are other things on that circuit and they are maxing it out.

Are you 100% sure there is nothing else on that circuit you are using? just because the outlet is in the garage, it doesnt mean there are no shared outlets with it in the house. You would have to turn off the circuit breaker for that outlet and see if anything else in the house was off.

The noise could be normal, could be electrical humming from something else, etc.

Reactions: rpiotro
You still need to make sure there is nothing else on that circuit, as I mentioned above.
Are you saying that something else on the circuit would cause the car to hum, or the hum is coming from somewhere else?

If I feel under the front of the car where it seems to be coming from you can feel the slight vibrations of the hum (pump/fan that is running).

Are you saying that something else on the circuit would cause the car to hum, or the hum is coming from somewhere else?

If I feel under the front of the car where it seems to be coming from you can feel the slight vibrations of the hum (pump/fan that is running).

Im saying that even if the car is running, and thats the noise, aside from that you need to make sure that you are charging safely, by verifying that nothing else is on that circuit (or at the very very very least, nothing is running on that circuit).

even while unplugged it’ll make sounds. Our model x makes all sorts of sounds all the time. It’s perfectly normal. My new model 3 was making sounds on my driveway today and I was guessing it was cabin overheat but I realized it was only 68deg. Who knows what it’s cooling/heating/regulating.

Reactions: Altes
Im saying that even if the car is running, and thats the noise, aside from that you need to make sure that you are charging safely, by verifying that nothing else is on that circuit (or at the very very very least, nothing is running on that circuit).
Thanks for your patience. By charging safely you mean the electrical system/circuit damage due to a possible overload and not damage to the Tesla, correct? I’m assuming the car/charger will only accept a safe charge.

Thanks for your patience. By charging safely you mean the electrical system/circuit damage due to a possible overload and not damage to the Tesla, correct? I’m assuming the car/charger will only accept a safe charge.

Right, that charging rate wont hurt the car at all, but you want to make sure that you are not overloading the wiring where you are charging (not related to the vehicle sounds that were discussed above).

The charger is actually in the car. The wall/mobile charger is just a means to get power to the car. The car's charger will always check safety first before charging so all you need to do is confirm your outlet was installed properly/code etc etc.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi,
I just picked up my Model 3 Performance a few days ago. Love it so far!!

A question about charging. I’m waiting for my wall charger to be wired in and am currently using the mobile charger in a regular wall socket.

the car is in the garage and the temp reading is about 70 degrees. When the car is charging there is a constant hum from inside and outside the car, like the sound of a fridge. From what I’ve read I assume it is the coolant pump or fans.

Is this normal to have the pump/fans running when charging in reg ambient temperature?

I haven’t sat in the car for hours but seems to be humming constantly.
Thx,

Diana.

We have 2 M3's and they are always talking to me making noises, humming, clunking and banging...Part of the beauty of them...relax.

We have 2 M3's and they are always talking to me making noises, humming, clunking and banging...Part of the beauty of them...relax.

Hahaha, same, I'll walk out into the garage, the 3 goes, BRRRR MMMMMM CLUNK CLUNK WEEEOOOEEEOOO

🤣

They make some funky noises. FWIW, the other ride is a Wrangler 4xe (PHEV) and it kicks into some weird noises too, some kind of conditioning, warming, whatever, it's just the "new normal" for EV tech.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man