Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nestour Interior Light Kit Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in the big Model 3 Light Kit Thread, but I think it turned out nice so I'll share it here, too.

I just put the Amazon Nestour kit in my 2020 MYLR. Here are my thoughts.

There were some reported issues with the tubes being curly and difficult to install, and with the included double sided tape. I had no problem with straightening the light tube. It came loosely looped in the box but unrolled easily and installed flat. Maybe they've changed it a bit? The double-sided tape included was 3M VHB. On the dash, I used some adhesion promoter and cleaned well with alcohol so hopefully it will stay in place. On the console tubing, I only used tape on the end where it goes into the center storage on the recommendation of the OP of the Model 3 thread. The rest of the console tube seems pretty stable without it.

I used heat shrink tubing on the ends where the light pipes connect to the emitter. I also dabbed black paint on the cut ends to eliminate the bright spots. For the dash, I ran the wire down the side panel of the dash, under the dash panel below the glovebox to the center console, and under those panels. I drilled a small hole between behind the side panel and the inner storage area to thread the cable through. I found an organizer for the center console which has a cutout for the cigarette lighter and is big enough to take up the entire length of the console, hiding all the extra wire underneath.

I did not install the footwell lights. I had replaced the stock footwell lights with some blue ones that work well and go with my color scheme so I kept them in place.

Pics! Finished product. Ignore the spudger on the dash. I'm using it to keep some pressure on the end to get a good bond on the tape.
20220523_152647.jpg

Wire hole:
20220523_161126.jpg

Excess wires tucked into the center console. Shrink tubing on the excess light pipes.
20220523_152238.jpg

New tray hiding the mess.
20220523_160219.jpg

Lookas good! I did the same with some Diode Dynamics RGB LEDs. I placed them under my dash though, so it glows at night, but you can't see it all during the day. Not only that, but I hooked to a 12v accessory spot so itll go off when the car sleeps, and added a toggle under the dash. Nice job! Pic of mine below.
Nice effect! I use sentry a lot, so having the lights off only during sleep would leave them on a lot. The way I have them now, they'll turn off with the footwell lights even if the car is awake.

Reactions: qdeathstar
Nice effect! I use sentry a lot, so having the lights off only during sleep would leave them on a lot. The way I have them now, they'll turn off with the footwell lights even if the car is awake.

Perhaps "sleep" is the incorrect scenario going on, as you have a great point. Mine does turn off while Sentry is on, so maybe its something else?

I was thinking of running off the footwell lights as well, but I wanted the dash to be lit all the time, without needing the footwells on also.

That being said, in case I do not want the dash on, I have a toggle to kill them when needed. Its under the driver's footwell, right near the light.

All in all, yours looks awesome! Good job!

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 2.10.24 PM.png

Reactions: cosmith71
I posted this in the big Model 3 Light Kit Thread, but I think it turned out nice so I'll share it here, too.

I just put the Amazon Nestour kit in my 2020 MYLR. Here are my thoughts.

There were some reported issues with the tubes being curly and difficult to install, and with the included double sided tape. I had no problem with straightening the light tube. It came loosely looped in the box but unrolled easily and installed flat. Maybe they've changed it a bit? The double-sided tape included was 3M VHB. On the dash, I used some adhesion promoter and cleaned well with alcohol so hopefully it will stay in place. On the console tubing, I only used tape on the end where it goes into the center storage on the recommendation of the OP of the Model 3 thread. The rest of the console tube seems pretty stable without it.

I used heat shrink tubing on the ends where the light pipes connect to the emitter. I also dabbed black paint on the cut ends to eliminate the bright spots. For the dash, I ran the wire down the side panel of the dash, under the dash panel below the glovebox to the center console, and under those panels. I drilled a small hole between behind the side panel and the inner storage area to thread the cable through. I found an organizer for the center console which has a cutout for the cigarette lighter and is big enough to take up the entire length of the console, hiding all the extra wire underneath.

I did not install the footwell lights. I had replaced the stock footwell lights with some blue ones that work well and go with my color scheme so I kept them in place.

Pics! Finished product. Ignore the spudger on the dash. I'm using it to keep some pressure on the end to get a good bond on the tape.
View attachment 807998

Wire hole:
View attachment 808000

Excess wires tucked into the center console. Shrink tubing on the excess light pipes.
View attachment 808001

New tray hiding the mess.
View attachment 808002

Any pics of the LED's during day driving (with them off)?