TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Net Metering

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by nursebee, Apr 17, 2014.

1. nursebee

nursebee Member

Has anyone been involved with the process of getting a local utility company to start net metering solar PV systems? I'd like some help.
    Current state of things here: Eastern NC Solar: Net metering

The feedback I am getting is that I will need state legislation assistance.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yes, but the situation varies by state and my FL experience isn't going to help you in NC. The best resource I have found is the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE), just click on your state and away you go.

P.S. Here's the net metering overview for North Carolina. Seeing as the NCUC requires the utility companies to provide net metering you could also start digging through your powerco's website.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

#3 dhrivnak, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    TN has net metering with AEP. It was very smooth with me and reasonably quick. They did have to upgrade my meter so it would be bidirectional. Without the new meter everything I produced added to my KWh used.

4. nursebee

nursebee Member

The net metering for NC link only pertains to investor owned utilities. It does not pertain to me.
    I went to talk at the utility board meeting, perhaps things will move along, but no guarantees.
    I plan on doing more work on this..

5. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

NJ has net metering laws, requiring utility companies to upgrade to a meter that can perform this. There was no direct cost to consumer. My installer submitted an application to my electric company, which then had 30 days to comply.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

:confused: You're not planning a residential system or you have a publicly owned utility provider?

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Sounds like he has a small muni utility.