Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NetMetering Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Northern California and want to verify how PG&E credits for solar that is pushed back to the grid. On my EV-A TOU plan, during winter the PG&E charges for grid use are: Peak: $0.41 / Partial Peak: $0.24 / Off Peak: $0.14.

If I'm pushing solar back to the grid during those times, does PG&E credit me at the same rates as they are charging me?

Somewhere I saw that PG&E only credits customers at ~$.04 / kWh. Does that only become a factor at the true up time if I've produced more kWhs than I've consumed from the grid for the entire year?

Thanks

If I'm pushing solar back to the grid during those times, does PG&E credit me at the same rates as they are charging me?

Somewhere I saw that PG&E only credits customers at ~$.04 / kWh. Does that only become a factor at the true up time if I've produced more kWhs than I've consumed from the grid for the entire year?
1. Yes*

2. Correct

(*Not counting things like non bypassable charges, etc. Currently, if you are pushing energy to the grid, you get credit for that energy at the same price you would be buying it from the grid at that exact time).

I'm here in NY heading towards my 4th month of waiting for Tesla to submit forms to National Grid. NG's website mentions that they will tru-up your account at their SC6 rate, but after two calls and no promised call-backs I have yet to find their SC6 rate listed anywhere, or anyone in their Customer Service that can find it either. My best guess would be close to their off-peak VTOU rate, which is about $0.05/kWh right now, and around $0.025/kWh in the Summer. I'll be making one more request before I submit a complaint to the NYS PSC.

During the year you get full credit for the power you send back to the grid based on the time it was generated and the price at that time. This is tallied up monthly in dollars. However, you will get charged ~0.03/kWh in non-bypasable charges (NBCs) for any of the power you draw back (think of it as a storage fee).
However, at the end of the year (True-Up), if PG&E owes you money for energy charges they will throw that calculation out the window and cash you out at ~$0.03/kWh for any excess generation.