Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netting zero dollars on 2018 MX P100D trade in for the new “Raven”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My story is different. Purchased a 75X in Jan 18. Got a $10,000 tax credit/refund and took the full Section 179 business write off.

Believe I could sell it at market price and not have it cost me anything due to the rebates and depreciation.

Could buy a brand new one, with bigger battery and ludicrous and not loose any $.

As to those critical about cup holders and gadgets, they are missing the whole point about getting the gassers off the road.

Many still consider Model S to stil be the best looking 4 door sedan in the EV marketplace. With just a few nips and tucks it has remained an appealing ride.

One good thing about upgrading. Even though your original car may have depreciated a bunch, typically buying a new one will get you a more capable and improved car at an even better price than your original purchase.

Kind of helps even things out since the Tax Credits are now reduced.

I have to admit that if I could get out of my current Model X lease and into the Raven refresh I probably would but since the lease isn't even a year old yet there's no way the math would ever work for that... :) Sure, Tesla could just give it to me as an even swap but they aren't in the business of losing money, nor do I expect them to be... :)

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
While leases work out for many, getting out early can often be financially brutal. Usually because of the way they are structured. Mostly upside down all the time. Seems cheaper, but often not.
Normally will not learn how an individual lease works out until the end. Depends a lot on actual depreciation Vs. predicted depreciation.

For those who were curious about the trade in offer I would get from Tesla... just heard back from them and it’s better than we thought! $93.6k. Not enough to make a trade in for the Raven worth it, but its nice to know that my car has only depreciated by 56.7% in the 6 months that I’ve owned it

• Love
Folks who are hoping on free upgrade - who do you think will buy your used car for the price of the new restyled one ?
This is important point many failed to understand about that sudden price cut in March - it dropped secondary market pretty hard as well, which can be seen like accelerated depreciation.

Folks who are hoping on free upgrade - who do you think will buy your used car for the price of the new restyled one ?
This is important point many failed to understand about that sudden price cut in March - it dropped secondary market pretty hard as well, which can be seen like accelerated depreciation.

The point was that there was a chance, for owners currently owning a performance ludicrous model, to receive the free upgrade due to the current offer of free ludicrous. Of course depreciation ****s us all, but everyone kind of already knows that. I was just curious to see how the 20k coupon would effect the trade in process.

• Love
My story is different. Purchased a 75X in Jan 18. Got a $10,000 tax credit/refund and took the full Section 179 business write off.

Believe I could sell it at market price and not have it cost me anything due to the rebates and depreciation.

Could buy a brand new one, with bigger battery and ludicrous and not loose any $.

As to those critical about cup holders and gadgets, they are missing the whole point about getting the gassers off the road.

Many still consider Model S to stil be the best looking 4 door sedan in the EV marketplace. With just a few nips and tucks it has remained an appealing ride.

Curious about your 179 business write off. So mode X is more than 6000 lbs so it falls in big suv category? What about model S? I can only take 10K as deduction (only use it for business purpose) ?

Sorry it’s not a Tesla or EV related question but need to know. Thx

Curious about your 179 business write off. So mode X is more than 6000 lbs so it falls in big suv category? What about model S? I can only take 10K as deduction (only use it for business purpose) ?

Sorry it’s not a Tesla or EV related question but need to know. Thx
Fear not, there is a thread for that.
If 100% business, you can get 100% deduction first year on an X (new or used). However, when you ever sell it, you have to pay back the deduction based on sale price.

Model X IRS 100% Deduction “Hummer Loophole” - 2018 Edition