TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Network Maintenance Update

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Acho, May 28, 2018.

1. Acho

Acho Member

Just got this email:

We are performing network maintenance from Monday, May 28, 2018 at 9pm PDT to Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 2am PDT, and would like to inform all owners that there may be intermittent disruption to the Tesla app during this time. We recommend that owners keep their key fobs and key cards on hand. We apologize for any inconvenience.

• Informative x 1
  2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

Same in Sweden, but in Swedish funny enough.

Any chance some interesting updates are coming, or maybe it’s just some late spring cleaning?

3. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Glad to hear. Iv noticed many delays when unlocking my car from the phone. It used to be almost instant. These days I have to wait up to 10 seconds.

4. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

IMHO this is a welcome operational change, that Tesla is actually announcing a downtime before it happens. It's standard practice for many network services, and I'm glad to see them adopting this as well.

Bruce.

• Like x 2
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Maybe they are *finally* moving things to AWS.... one can hope!

And the announcement is standard practice for any IT manager who can plan outages and still wants a job the next day. JFC. (When you have an outage and pass it off as planned maintenance, that was the last straw!)

6. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Agreed. The last [planned?] network maintenance that impacted owners worldwide was a mess. An advanced notice (even if less than 24 hours in advance) is a welcome step forward.

• Like x 1
  7. boaterva

At least it’s not on a weekend/prime time hours this time! Baby steps.... they are learning, I give them that.

8. Kalex

Kalex Member

Good notice.

Attached Files:

9. Huskyf

Huskyf Member

Don't receive this mail in Europe ?

10. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Could this be the reason why my car thinks it’s parked 20 miles away even though I have been driving it about all day?

11. boaterva

Hm, if your email address is on your Tesla account you should have. Perhaps staged email rollout before tonight Pacific time?

12. boaterva

I would doubt it. Nothing should happen before 2100 hours Zone -8 PDT (UTC 0400 May 29)

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

#13 Dborn, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Nothing in Australia Tuesday morning 7am, 29th May. Of course we are about 17 hours ahead...
    14 hours ahead of UTC.
    It would make more sense if their announcements were in UTC.
    Begins from 2pm in Sydney Australia 29/5/18. (AEST).

14. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Message from Tesla received at at 1030 am. 3.5 hours before this comes into effect. Better than usual from Tesla, but not great!!!

15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I wonder how the hell Amazon can go with zero downtime outside of a serious DDOS attack.

Guess they lose more in 1 minute of downtime than Tesla’s revenue in a month.

16. Didi

Didi Member

Same in Switzerland, next to Sweden ;-)
    and even written in German

Attached Files:

17. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

With less than 24 hours notice, this just isn't professional. I could have already left the hour earlier today and not taken my key card. If it is indeed routine maintenance, then there should be many days advance notice.

18. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

This is the very first advance outage warning Tesla has given in the three years I've been an owner. I'd say they've taken a huge step forward. I agree with you that there's room for improvement (possibly depending on circumstances that we're not aware of), but maybe they're just organizationally learning this stuff. I'm a proponent of praising process improvements in hopes of continued betterment, not just complaining because they didn't go far enough according to some arbitrary ideal.

Maybe this is just a glass half full / glass half empty kind of thing, in which case I'll just say...

Peace...

Bruce.

• Like x 4
  19. Hawesome

Hawesome Member

"We are performing network maintenance from Monday, May 28, 2018 at 12am EDT to Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 5am EDT, and would like to inform all owners that there may be intermittent disruption to the Tesla app during this time. We recommend that owners keep their key fobs and key cards on hand. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Would this have anything to do with the conversations about doing away with the FOB and using bluetooth signal from phone? I am not that technical, so just looking for some insight as to what they might be improving - if anything?!

20. Brettski

Brettski Member

I interpret this as pre-emptive communication prior to a scheduled downtime. Most likely predicated by downtime a week or so ago that upset a lot of owners and was widely reported in the media.

• Like x 1