Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Network Maintenance Update

Acho

Mar 28, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Just got this email:

We are performing network maintenance from Monday, May 28, 2018 at 9pm PDT to Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 2am PDT, and would like to inform all owners that there may be intermittent disruption to the Tesla app during this time. We recommend that owners keep their key fobs and key cards on hand. We apologize for any inconvenience.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah

bmah

Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
IMHO this is a welcome operational change, that Tesla is actually announcing a downtime before it happens. It's standard practice for many network services, and I'm glad to see them adopting this as well.

Bruce.

Reactions: MXWing and KyleDay

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
Maybe they are *finally* moving things to AWS.... one can hope!

And the announcement is standard practice for any IT manager who can plan outages and still wants a job the next day. JFC. (When you have an outage and pass it off as planned maintenance, that was the last straw!)

Tdreamer

Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
IMHO this is a welcome operational change, that Tesla is actually announcing a downtime before it happens. It's standard practice for many network services, and I'm glad to see them adopting this as well.

Bruce.
Agreed. The last [planned?] network maintenance that impacted owners worldwide was a mess. An advanced notice (even if less than 24 hours in advance) is a welcome step forward.

Reactions: dankim

Kalex

Oct 1, 2017
New York
Good notice.

Attachments

• 8E0E7616-BDBB-4150-A485-FFFB50467729.jpeg
    8E0E7616-BDBB-4150-A485-FFFB50467729.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 38

Dborn

Confirmed
Aug 26, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Nothing in Australia Tuesday morning 7am, 29th May. Of course we are about 17 hours ahead...
14 hours ahead of UTC.
It would make more sense if their announcements were in UTC.
Begins from 2pm in Sydney Australia 29/5/18. (AEST).

Last edited:

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I wonder how the hell Amazon can go with zero downtime outside of a serious DDOS attack.

Guess they lose more in 1 minute of downtime than Tesla’s revenue in a month.

smorgasbord

Jun 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
With less than 24 hours notice, this just isn't professional. I could have already left the hour earlier today and not taken my key card. If it is indeed routine maintenance, then there should be many days advance notice.

bmah

Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
With less than 24 hours notice, this just isn't professional. I could have already left the hour earlier today and not taken my key card. If it is indeed routine maintenance, then there should be many days advance notice.

This is the very first advance outage warning Tesla has given in the three years I've been an owner. I'd say they've taken a huge step forward. I agree with you that there's room for improvement (possibly depending on circumstances that we're not aware of), but maybe they're just organizationally learning this stuff. I'm a proponent of praising process improvements in hopes of continued betterment, not just complaining because they didn't go far enough according to some arbitrary ideal.

Maybe this is just a glass half full / glass half empty kind of thing, in which case I'll just say...

Peace...

Bruce.

Hawesome

Nov 13, 2017
Barrie, Ontario
"We are performing network maintenance from Monday, May 28, 2018 at 12am EDT to Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 5am EDT, and would like to inform all owners that there may be intermittent disruption to the Tesla app during this time. We recommend that owners keep their key fobs and key cards on hand. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Would this have anything to do with the conversations about doing away with the FOB and using bluetooth signal from phone? I am not that technical, so just looking for some insight as to what they might be improving - if anything?!

Brettski

Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2018
Palm Desert, CA
I interpret this as pre-emptive communication prior to a scheduled downtime. Most likely predicated by downtime a week or so ago that upset a lot of owners and was widely reported in the media.

Reactions: JohnnyG

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC