Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Networked HPWC charger bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have three gen 2 HPWC’s networked together. Two of our cars are daily drivers and we have them set for off peak charging because I want the batteries to be at least a little warm when I’m ready for work in the morning. The issue is that the car with the lowest charge sees that there’s 40amps available and calculates a start time to begin. Some hours later the other car sees that it has 20amps if it was to start charging and calculates it’s start time and begins. The first car. “Never saw it coming”… midway thru it’s charge cycle it finds that it can only get 1/2 the power it could before… it never finishes charging because of the time we set for the end of “off peak”. So 6am rolls around and the first car never got to finish. The thing that disappoints me is that the car absolutely stops charging at 6am… it wish it would simply continue to completion. I mean it would be OK If it didn’t stop at the end of “off peak”…. I’d prefer that over not having a full battery.

How can we raise this issue to Tesla?

I have a similar setup - two HPWC on a 50 amp circuit. I just set them to start charging when we plug in rather than using a departure time.

I don’t really see a good solution the problem you describe, but I definitely do not want my cars ignoring peak rate periods - for me it is not okay for it to continue charging beyond the end of off-peak since I pay $5 per kW demand charge during peak times.

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px
I would change the car that needs more juice to start charging at a fixed time instead of departure timing. You know what will happen because you know that both cars will charge on this particular day.

What happens when you manually turn down the amps to the same value that it will get when power sharing? Will the departure calculation work correctly then?

Reactions: davewill
I suggest you use Schedule Charging instead of Scheduled departure and set the time to be when off-peak starts, in this way both cars will be charged. Then use Scheduled departure and choose only to precondition and set your departure time, both the car and battery should be warm. This will use a bit more power since you have to warm the battery in the AM instead of it being warmed as part of charging for a desired departure time.