Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neural Networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know they were this far along. Which BMW models are these available in, and what are their current capabilities?

The BMW X5 currently has it, and so will the BMW 3 series. It uses eyeq4 with a trifocal camera.

Obviously eyeq4 has a vision system capable of powering a level 5 sdc. But automakers usually do the bare minimal and sometimes only enough to get them their 5 star rating. Tesla with AP1 and supercruise being the exception. Audi A8 might also be tagged onto that list when its L3 is turned on after OTA Update Q1 2019 in Europe. Then theres Nissan L3 in Japan next year and then another big automaker with L2 using rem map by end of 2019.

So it's looking good for eyeq4 oem implementations.

But here's the breakdown of BMW features.

Driving Assistant Pro:

1. Steering & Lane keeping assist (anywhere)

2. Adaptive cruise control with automatic speed limit adjustment. (anywhere)

3. Automatic lane-change function using turn signals. (anywhere)

4. Unlimited hand-free driving (limited access freeway only) under 37 mph. Using driver monitoring camera ala supercruise. (Coming in OTA update 12/2018) - Extended Traffic Jam Assistant

5. Emergency Stop Assistant - There is a button you push (or if you pull the emergency brake handle) the car will change lanes by itself until the car gets onto the lane shoulder and stop the car safely. If you are in the middle lane or left most lane for example. It will change lanes till it gets to the shoulder. This is pretty cool L3-ish feature.

Last edited:
Also the 2019 BMW X5 isnt the only model. Basically all the 2019 model released this year has it and remember that all of these cars are also uploading REM Map data.

BMW sells more than 2 million cars a year. If half of those were 2019 models. That would mean in a years time, BMW alone would be providing 30 million miles of HD mapping per day

I'm not sure if this is a neural network question or not, but can someone explain why you can be completely stationary with all the cars around you also completely stationary, yet the icons showing vehicles show them dancing around instead of stationary?

Yeah, they really move around a lot don't they?

Very small global changes in the image (even clouds and thermal noise) will cause variations in the NN outputs for segmentation and bounding boxes, but the movement in the driver display is a lot larger than that. I think the UI probably has a small number of pre-rendered vehicle views for the display and when a vehicle's perceived position is right on the boundary between two different representations you can get jittering between the two views induced by very small changes in the NN output.

This might account for why you sometimes see coordinated jitter of multiple vehicles. If all the other cars are well aligned with the lane but your own vehicle is slightly offset then other vehicles will all have the same non-zero offset angle and, if that angle is on a jitter boundary then several of them will jitter in sync.

I bet Tesla will stick in some hysteresis to smooth that out. It looks kind of silly.

Yeah, they really move around a lot don't they?

Very small global changes in the image (even clouds and thermal noise) will cause variations in the NN outputs for segmentation and bounding boxes, but the movement in the driver display is a lot larger than that. I think the UI probably has a small number of pre-rendered vehicle views for the display and when a vehicle's perceived position is right on the boundary between two different representations you can get jittering between the two views induced by very small changes in the NN output.

This might account for why you sometimes see coordinated jitter of multiple vehicles. If all the other cars are well aligned with the lane but your own vehicle is slightly offset then other vehicles will all have the same non-zero offset angle and, if that angle is on a jitter boundary then several of them will jitter in sync.

I bet Tesla will stick in some hysteresis to smooth that out. It looks kind of silly.

Today a truck directly in front of me was snapping between both adjacent lanes on the visualization display, not floating around continuously, just giant leaps like the radar signature was bouncing between multipath ghosts or something.

Last edited:
I was laughing with this one the other day. I started the car and then look who popped up behind me while still parked! Nice to see stick figures getting representation.

Attachments

• IMG_20181103_171344.jpg
    IMG_20181103_171344.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 159
The accuracy of the network sucks . Which undermines everything that jimmy has been preaching. As @wk057 pointed out. AP1 doesnt exhibit this behavior because the NN detection in ap1 is accurate even though it's still doing a prediction every frame.

The code that renders the car ui hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is its input.

Wk even tried to create a hd map from lanes coming from ap2 cars like he did for ap2 and couldn't because of the instability and inaccuracy of the detections.

@verygreen questioned the pr videos coming from ME and saying that ME must be applying some type of filter/clean up for their videos. But as @wk057 and AP1 confirms. There is no filter. The network just produces good outputs.

Eyeq4 are already in thousands of BMW, nio and VW cars this year.
And those are nowhere near comparable to Tesla.

Yeah its different. Not that BMW put that much effort into it anyway but i'm interested to see the Hands-free Extended Traffic Jam and the Emergency Stop Assistant.

What I find weird is why hasn't there been any reviews?

As I understand it the X5 is launching this month so one would expect a lot of reviews of it's features especially considering the uniqueness of some of the features. I'm not aware of any other car on the road that has the emergency stop assistance that will get the car over to the shoulder even if it has to cross lanes to get there.

So if I was caranddriver or any other car mag I'd be all over trying to test it.

There is this review, but it doesn't even mention it.

2019 BMW X5 Improves a Proven Mid-Size Formula

What I find weird is why hasn't there been any reviews?

As I understand it the X5 is launching this month so one would expect a lot of reviews of it's features especially considering the uniqueness of some of the features. I'm not aware of any other car on the road that has the emergency stop assistance that will get the car over to the shoulder even if it has to cross lanes to get there.

So if I was caranddriver or any other car mag I'd be all over trying to test it.

There is this review, but it doesn't even mention it.

2019 BMW X5 Improves a Proven Mid-Size Formula

There's some articles which mention it and some who don't.
This is what happens when you don't hype and differentiate your features.
A-lot of companies still haven't learned about PR from Apple. BMW is one of them. Tesla clearly learned, so did GM.

The latest X model coming out of South Carolina's BMW plant isn't driverless, but it's close

New BMW X5 Gets Standard Advanced Safety Features | AutoInfluence

I thought you said the Audi A8 had the EyeQ3 system, and that's why it was limited to only 35mph for the L3 system?

2019 Audi A8 Level 3 autonomy first-drive: Chasing the perfect ‘jam’

It does use a eyeq3 and it is up to 37mph. I mentioned it in the context of adding it to the example list of great systems and implementation. Not that it used eyeq4.

Last edited:
There's some articles which mention it and some who don't.
This is what happens when you don't hype and differentiate your features.
A-lot of companies still haven't about PR learned from Apple. BMW is one of them. Tesla clearly learned, so did GM.

The latest X model coming out of South Carolina's BMW plant isn't driverless, but it's close

New BMW X5 Gets Standard Advanced Safety Features | AutoInfluence

What I find really bad is the lack of excitement among customers and enthusiast.

Here is an example.

G05 technology and driver assistant aids - bits of knowledge from dealer training

This is pretty nifty stuff that can COMPLETELY change a persons experience behind the wheel.

You'd think people would be talking about it, and clarifying things over 20-30 pages.

But, there is only 3.

That's crazy.

What I find really bad is the lack of excitement among customers and enthusiast.

Here is an example.

G05 technology and driver assistant aids - bits of knowledge from dealer training

This is pretty nifty stuff that can COMPLETELY change a persons experience behind the wheel.

You'd think people would be talking about it, and clarifying things over 20-30 pages.

But, there is only 3.

That's crazy.

Easy.

What you hype is what people are gonna talk about. I can say profoundly that 75% of Tesla articles are either solely about Autopilot / FSD or contain statements about it in them. All Elon does is hype autopilot. Also all the dealership or stores employee, is also hype autopilot / fsd. While you won't even hear it from any other company. Certainly not BMW. I bought my first BMW in 2015 and heard no talk/push about ADAS. I go to the dealership every now and then and same, there's no push. Some employees ain't even trained how to use the system.

It also doesn't hurt that all your fans/customers are mostly tech people. So they too hype autopilot.
You get an endless circle which leads to clear myths and fables.

bimmerfest forums is even more popular than bimmerpost, even more than TMC. But all they talk about is car stuff and also hacking, they are into hacking cars alot.

EDIT: looks like bimmerpost post/thread count > bimmerfest. For once i was wrong... lmao first time in my life! I will now shamefully remove my tag and replace it with something appropriate.

Last edited:
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
@S4WRXTTCS

Here's an interesting thread that goes 14 pages after the reveal with specs.

2019 BMW X5 G05 Official Thread: Information, Specs, Wallpapers and Videos!

But only one post about the feature and it wasn't even positive. You get the point...

Emergency Stop Assistant

Component of the Driving Assistant Professional package
Intended to be used in situations where the driver is suddenly incapacitated because of a medical emergency
By pulling the electric parking brake switch, vehicle will come to a standstill either in the current lane, at the edge of the road or on the hard shoulder. Hazard warning lights are activated and the Intelligent Emergency Call function automatically notifies the BMW Assist call center to alert emergency services

This sounds scary if it happens (or malfunctions) on a highway

How do vision based systems (like Tesla) evaluate distance to objects without binocular vision? There is ofcourse radar in the front, but not in the other directions. Ultrasound is short range and prone to disturbances.

• Funny
Reactions: GWord