Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neurio Monitoring Performance Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a recently installed Neurio device with the Tesla solar panel solution (2 inverters) that I’m having strange performance issues with on the monitoring side. Before the Neurio was commissioned (PTO) the app reported solar performance without issue. I didn’t think this fit with some of the other threads, but I could be wrong on that. My device runs for a few hours then the communication seems to freeze, drop, or get stuck between the Neurio and the inverter (Tesla). The Neurio is only tied to one device that Tesla says is correct. However, the only way to recover is to bounce the inverted, rebooting the Neurio does not resolve the issue. Once that is done everything runs fine for a few hours. See graph with flat area indicating the issue.

Wondering if anyone else has seen what looks to me like a communication issue between the neurio or possibly an inverter issue (Tesla). I was thinking about asking Tesla to move the Site Meter connection to the other device to test.

Solar App.jpg

Looks like I figured it out so I'll recap for others that might have the same issue(s) down the road. Must not be many yet with the Neurio device and Tesla inverters without Powerwall's. I made three changes that seemed to resolve multiple issues I was having with the reporting.
  1. The CTs were installed incorrectly so I made sure there were both pointing up around the bus where my service came into the panel. The are actually marked with that information 🙂.
  2. I swapped the phases at the Neurio device - Ports one and two. I did this because I had some strange readings between my home and grid data and the solar was showing constant flow to the grid. Really messed up and totally unreliable data.
  3. I have two inverters and Tesla tried to connect the Neurio to both of them. I went into the web interface on the inverter not tied to the neurio and deleted the site information. Not sure if this was doing anything or not but the crashing/WiFi Dropping stopped and the configuration information didn't need to be there anyway.
This isn't for everyone and going into the panel is scary/dangerous business but I couldn't wait two months for a service call. It was just the reporting so everything with the utility and the meters was registering just fine. I'll still have Tesla come out but at least for now all looks fine.

I'm waiting for PTO on my Tesla solar panel install (Neurio, no PW, 1 Tesla inverter) so will be keeping this info handy when things get turned on.

I know there used to be, or still are, standalone Neurio devices that can be purchased. The one that Tesla installed seems to be a Tesla-specific model since the box it came in showed a model number of "W2-Tesla". I was curious where the Neurio data is going to.

My understanding, and based on your #3 above, is that data goes from Neurio => Tesla inverter to track consumption, instead of Neurio => internet, right? What did the "site information" setting look like in the inverter web interface? The Neurio seems to only transmits it's wifi signal for a few minutes after powering up so I'm wondering how the ongoing comms are handled.

thumbs up for fixing. 120V has never killed me! now i've never been hit by 240V, and that is why we have a two wire 240V solution. just wear gloves and be carful to only use one hand as much as possible. always test neutrals, they are often hot! yes, i always work with live wires, don't do what i do!

Reactions: MCNE
I'm waiting for PTO on my Tesla solar panel install (Neurio, no PW, 1 Tesla inverter) so will be keeping this info handy when things get turned on.

I know there used to be, or still are, standalone Neurio devices that can be purchased. The one that Tesla installed seems to be a Tesla-specific model since the box it came in showed a model number of "W2-Tesla". I was curious where the Neurio data is going to.

My understanding, and based on your #3 above, is that data goes from Neurio => Tesla inverter to track consumption, instead of Neurio => internet, right? What did the "site information" setting look like in the inverter web interface? The Neurio seems to only transmits it's wifi signal for a few minutes after powering up so I'm wondering how the ongoing comms are handled.
Yes it goes directly to my smaller inverter then through my wifi to Tesla. The inverter just seems to be a pass through but the site information tab has a Short ID number and the Neurio Serial number entered. I just saved the information and selected remove from Wifi. If you only have one inverter you wont need to worry about this one. Someone on this forum posted a nice diagram that shows some details.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Looks like I figured it out so I'll recap for others that might have the same issue(s) down the road. Must not be many yet with the Neurio device and Tesla inverters without Powerwall's. I made three changes that seemed to resolve multiple issues I was having with the reporting.
  1. The CTs were installed incorrectly so I made sure there were both pointing up around the bus where my service came into the panel. The are actually marked with that information 🙂.
  2. I swapped the phases at the Neurio device - Ports one and two. I did this because I had some strange readings between my home and grid data and the solar was showing constant flow to the grid. Really messed up and totally unreliable data.
  3. I have two inverters and Tesla tried to connect the Neurio to both of them. I went into the web interface on the inverter not tied to the neurio and deleted the site information. Not sure if this was doing anything or not but the crashing/WiFi Dropping stopped and the configuration information didn't need to be there anyway.
This isn't for everyone and going into the panel is scary/dangerous business but I couldn't wait two months for a service call. It was just the reporting so everything with the utility and the meters was registering just fine. I'll still have Tesla come out but at least for now all looks fine.
I have the same issue. Thanks for posting this. My issue is consumption data is 2 X the actual (roughly)

Config:
1 Large + 1 Small
Neurio connected to smaller inverter
Both CT's connected the correct way ( I had to play with the to make it work )

Question on (2) changing the phase would be the same as swapping the CT's ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210704-083242_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210704-083242_Tesla.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 78
I have the same issue. Thanks for posting this. My issue is consumption data is 2 X the actual (roughly)

Config:
1 Large + 1 Small
Neurio connected to smaller inverter
Both CT's connected the correct way ( I had to play with the to make it work )

Question on (2) changing the phase would be the same as swapping the CT's ?
Yes and I didn’t know it at the time when I was creating these threads but all my issues were linked. There is more information Here with other helping out a lot.

After playing whack-a-mole with the neurio not working (not staying online, not being seen with the gateway, despite pairing with it)since it was installed two months ago, I think that we have found the issues;
1) the gateway threw out the neurio completely because the second phase CT was reading too high. Tesla reset the gateway to double phase A, and deleted the second meter (phase B).
2) there was a typo in the MAC address (neurios and gateways communicate directly with each other, so both the IP and MAC addresses have to be set correctly) Note: I believe the requirement for the MAC & IP address to be hardwired into the gateway precludes the use of repeaters, unless you set the repeater version of the address.
3) despite relocating the neurio antenna outside the service panel, the neurio WiFi was too weak, so a new wireless access point was put in nearby. The reported WiFi signal is still pretty weak in the grand scheme of things, but it works.
4) updating the gateway to 21.35.3 may have helped

Finally, my router reports the neurio as having no communication (0kb up/down) while the neurio is communicating with the gateway. As direct device to device communication, it seems not to get counted. You may have to log into the gateway to watch the real-time reported power numbers to confirm the connection.

Personally, I don't understand how the second phase CT can generate a voltage that is too high. Too many turns of wire? Wrong factory ADC settings? It seems unlikely. It does seem like something that should be caught at the factory, but perhaps there is a neurio firmware interface that I haven't found that can adjust the gain on the CTs.

Good luck. I hope that this is helpful.

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
Hi MNCE,
I am having both the issues
I am PTO, and still exploring all the bugs, as we speak

I have only one Tesla inverter and neurio. neurio antenna is installed inside metal panel, which is bad bad. But not sure if that is the cause

1) Directing of flow in home page is the opposite. i am always consuming form grid. May be the plugs ( CT) are installed opposite
2) data starts to repeat itself for few hours and then recovers itself or becomes 0 for a few hours. so connection is either breaking or not good.
is your antenna inside the metal box ?