Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevada Electric Vehicle Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mardak

Oct 13, 2018
USA
electric.png

Electric Vehicle License Plates

SB181 was passed and signed into law last year with an effective date starting this year, and after talking to the DMV Special Plates earlier this week, it seems like they're aiming to have things ready by the end of this month in figuring out the process and/or forms to get these standard (numbered) or personalized (5 characters).

There's still some confusion even at the DMV as I was told the $126 standard plate fee was the total registration cost, and that would be quite the savings incentive avoiding the usual $1k+ registration fee. But that doesn't seem likely and looking through the legislative minutes where Senator Settelmeyer (whose district includes Giga Nevada) introduced the bill, the higher than average plate cost was to support both the State Highway Fund and Nevada Electric Highway, but the final amended bill has the higher fees only for the State Highway Fund to offset lost gas tax revenue.

Here's some of the minutes:

Senator James A. Settelmeyer, Senate District No. 17: The first aspect of this bill is for electric vehicles (EVs). Raise your hand if you own an EV. [He alone raised his hand.] Upon purchasing an EV, it became apparent that the money we used to spend to generate revenue to the State Highway Fund no longer existed. Why not? There is no mechanism to allow someone who owns an EV to donate money to the Highway Fund. Many EV owners would gladly pay into the Highway Fund because they agree they need to help out with the roads. Many EV owners would like to have their own license plate as in many other states. This bill came forward as a result. This bill would create money that would go to the State Highway Fund for individuals who choose to purchase an EV license plate, which would only be available for EVs.

Senator Settelmeyer: Assemblyman Wheeler has been in our EV. It is a remarkable little vehicle, but it does not generate anything to the Highway Fund. This bill seeks to provide an opportunity for that. It will be fascinating to see how many people will want to participate in the program. According to Tesla and other industries, the amount of money lost to highway funds is only about $40 per driver. I question that number. The [EV] plate would generate far more than that. It would be the most expensive specialty plate in the state. It would have the goal of helping EV owners pay into the Highway Fund.

Assemblyman Leavitt: If the money from the plate would go into the Highway Fund, how would it reconcile the areas in Washoe County and Clark Country that do not use those funds? Probably most of the EVs are in those counties. How do you reconcile that?

Senator Settelmeyer: It does not. It would require quite a bit of finagling to get to a correct number of what a municipality or county is losing in the form of gas taxes for those roads, but that is a common theme. Since I represent the State Legislature, I was trying to make sure the State Highway Fund received revenue. I worked with our previous Senate Majority Leader who agreed with the idea—we need to find a way to help stabilize the Highway Fund as we continue to shift. This is just the first step. I looked at the concept of a 10 percent fee for every payment at a pump for fuel for your vehicle. The idea was not supported by the industry, so it did not go forward. I am not correcting the issues or problems that exist with counties or municipalities.

Assemblyman Carrillo: Electric vehicle owners purchasing this plate could feel they were doing their part to put money into the Highway Fund since they are not paying the gas tax. We heard a bill that addressed that issue with a vehicle mileage tax (VMT) [Assembly Bill 483]. Would purchasers of the plate feel they did not need to pay a VMT?

Senator Settelmeyer: I dare not say what anyone might feel. If a VMT is passed, the owner of an EV can choose not to purchase this license plate. My constituents and I are not keen on having Big Brother know how many miles we drive. I brought this bill from a different perspective, that of voluntary participation in paying into the Highway Fund. Many people in the EV community would like to contribute. This seems to be the most logical way at this time. I think this is the only bill still in play with the potential of generating funds for that concept.​