TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nevada Gov signs all Four Gigafactory Bills. It is now a done deal!

Discussion in 'News' started by RobStark, Sep 12, 2014.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Nevada governor enacts tax break package to bring Tesla's $5 billion battery factory to state

"This really is the definition of the rising tide lifting all boats," said Steve Hill, director of the Governor's Office of Economic Development. "It wasn't that long ago we were suffering through one of the worst recessions in Nevada history with 14.5 percent unemployment."

Sandoval also signed three other bills that made up the package, one discounting electricity for Tesla and another ending a $25 million annual subsidy — $125 million over five years — for insurance companies to help pay for Tesla's tax credits.

The final one makes it clear it is legal for Tesla to sell the cars it manufactures at dealerships it owns in Nevada. That had been a sticking point in Texas, which along with California, Arizona and New Mexico had competed with Nevada for the plant.

All four bills passed on votes of 21-0 in the Senate and 39-0 in the Assembly.

http://www.newser.com/article/f21284b3d06e46d088bfe0529be5d9b8/nevada-governor-enacts-tax-break-package-to-bring-teslas-5-billion-battery-factory-to-state.html

2. MacroP

MacroP Member

Nice. Absolutely unanimous.

Let the construction begin...

PS. Hope they have a great project website too. The overall build from start to finish will be extremely interesting. Would love NatGeo to handle this and bring it to the entire world. Megafactories...no wait...Gigafactories:cool:

3. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Great news.
    I 2nd the notion that the building of this factory should make it on NatGeo Megafactories.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Giga is so g^Hweak. I propose a new prefix "Megakilo". It's a Megakilofactory.

This is great* news. Now that the games are over, let the work begin!

* Corporate subsidy grumble blah

5. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Great that it's happening but scary too. I am sure that they can execute but the magnitude of what they are doing is daunting

6. Electric700

Electric700 Member

7. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Something like that would be fun to see. :biggrin:

8. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Battasitic!

9. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

Is it too early to schedule a tour for 2017?

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

2017? With luck, i should have factory sight pictures and video by the end of this month ;-)

11. MikeL

MikeL some guy

21-0 Senate & 39-0 State Assembly
    just thought that was worth repeating

& Gigafactory Tour . . . oh yeah!

12. Ludus

Ludus Member

Las Vegas is a great place for a high profile store/service center that doesn't have any special constraints. Test drives, rentals, selling used cars, just like the big kids.

13. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Particularly for tourist from states that ban Tesla stores.

14. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

I loved the episode they did on the Fremont factory!

For the love of God, I hope someone at least plans on filming some awesome timelapses of it being built!

I love the way Nevada is handling things so far, makes me glad they got the bid :)

15. sbronle1

sbronle1 Member

Amazingly intelligent decision by the state of Nevada. Brilliant people tend to surround themselves with other brilliant people. Our country certainly needs more brilliant people like Elon Musk. Tesla rules...

16. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

There has been a few negative articles written about how Nevada has over bid on the amount of giveaways. Unfortunately the headlines are making it look like Tesla is the bad guy. One written in my local rag and one in the LA Times, it comes across that the tax payers will foot the bill to have the gigafactory in Nevada. Would like some input on how this will play out as the Media loves to jump on these kind of things. Is it Tesla's fault that Nevada gave them all those incentives, or is it just smart business on Tesla's part.

17. djplong

djplong Member

You need to do an analysis that is much more than a headline.

What about the income from the wages paid to all the construction workers (for a start). What about all the taxes they WILL be paying that would have been $0 without this project. Now I believe Nevada does NOT have a state income tax but people pay sales taxes, meal taxes, property taxes, etc, etc. Add to that the "multiplier effect" - the rippling of the wages from Tesla out to the rest of the economy.

I'd like to see what the NET effect of these tax breaks are. ...and how many are breaks on taxes that would never have happened. It's hard to say that Tesla cost Nevada $X in property taxes when no property taxes were being collected for the site to begin with.

18. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I totally agree, but the problem is the media and people that are writing negative articles do not analyze anything, they just report a one sided view point and the problem with that is people that read this stuff believe it.

19. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

As I see it:
    They are angry and upset that the GF did not end in California. They had written more or less exactly the same no matter what state other than California who had won. Had the California won so they had cheered and Elon + Brown been their heroes - with the exact same "amount of giveaways" or more...