Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevada Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be a blankety-blank shame if you're correct in Elko as the site rather than Wells. Wells is midway between Winnemucca (174mi) and Tooele (169) - so barely acceptable for a 60 - but far more importantly, is the crossroads of I-80 and my #1 Favorite Road in North America, Rte 93, which I've championed in the past.... And the 50-mile each way detour from Wells to supercharge at Elko would be a killer.

But I'm not holding my breath.

But there is absolutely nothing in Wells... but that may be an attraction... just a refuel stop.
I will be driving from CA to Jackson Hole this summer and I am hoping that they finish a few more SC across Nevada. Elko would be good because then I can take 93 from Wells up to Twin Falls and then pick up the Interstates from there. I agree that 93 is a great road but I like Hwy 50 across Nevada ("The loneliest road in America") better... but I don't see SC coming to that road for a long time.
Rumor is that Toole, UT will be built soon which should help those coming from SLC... it's a bit of a stretch (218 miles) to Elko but a SC in Wendover would help.

It will be a blankety-blank shame if you're correct in Elko as the site rather than Wells. Wells is midway between Winnemucca (174mi) and Tooele (169) - so barely acceptable for a 60 - but far more importantly, is the crossroads of I-80 and my #1 Favorite Road in North America, Rte 93, which I've championed in the past.... And the 50-mile each way detour from Wells to supercharge at Elko would be a killer.

See my post at Nevada Superchargers - Page 6, but replace SLC Airport with Toole. I predict Superchargers in Elko and West Wendover.

There's no doubt in my mind that they'll need an SC in Wells at some point, as anyone traveling to/from Norcal to West Yellowstone (BTDT coming back) will need one there and in the Twin Falls area (also Burley, which is awkwardly close to TWF but necessary for people coming up from Brigham City/Tremonton. My original I-80 Nevada guesstimates were Lovelock/Battle Mountain/Wells and either Wendover or maybe at the Sinclair station in Delle, UT (129 miles). I think most people would prefer the SC at Wendover rather than Delle even though the spacing is better between Wells and Delle, as sort of a breather/food stop either before or just after crossing Bonneville, which can be a bit of a psychological burden even in an air-conditioned car at 85 mph. Infill later at Winnemucca, Elko and maybe Carlin, cause I think there's likely more traffic on 93 between Wells and TWF than on 95 between Winnemucca and Nampa/Boise.

The foreman at Cabazon told me yesterday that their next installation will be Elko, likely starting after the holidays.

In the grander scheme of things, Nevada will need more SC on its rural highways, like maybe at Caliente, Ely, Wells, Tonopah, Beatty, Hawthorne/Yerington(?),Eureka, Jackpot(?), so travelers can reach Idaho and Reno from Vegas and points south.

Just checked Plugshare and all they have are J1772 at Jackson public parking spots. It would be good to have a hotel with HPWC.

Many of the Tesla Destination Charging sites are not on PlugShare. From the Tesla Find Us page:

Jackson.png

In the grander scheme of things, Nevada will need more SC on its rural highways, like maybe at Caliente, Ely, Wells, Tonopah, Beatty, Hawthorne/Yerington(?),Eureka, Jackpot(?), so travelers can reach Idaho and Reno from Vegas and points south.

I'd be more than happy with just HPWCs at these locations, for starters. Compared to the cost of an SpC, installing a pair of HPWCs should be miniscule and permitting almost a non-issue. And Roadsters could use them too.
--

The route across I-80 now seems to be: Truckee, CA to Nephi, UT - Google Maps

Truckee, CA
Lovelock, NV — 126 miles
Winnemucca, NV — 72 miles
Elko, NV — 124 miles
West Wendover, NV —107 miles
Tooele, UT — 100 miles
Nephi, UT — 107 miles

This will be a very nicely spaced set of Superchargers for crossing Northern Nevada!

As mentioned upthread, one would certainly hope there would be a supercharger station at the Gigafactory just east of Reno/Sparks. (It is also needed, though a bit out of the way, for north/south on US 395.) Given that, I am not sure one would be needed in Lovelock. However Winnemucca would seem to be essential.

As mentioned upthread, one would certainly hope there would be a supercharger station at the Gigafactory just east of Reno/Sparks. (It is also needed, though a bit out of the way, for north/south on US 395.) Given that, I am not sure one would be needed in Lovelock. However Winnemucca would seem to be essential.
Winnemucca is a bit of a stretch from Truckee so it would be best to have one in Lovelock (a very nice town). The Gigafactory supercharger would help but it's pretty close to Truckee and still a good distance from Winnemucca.