Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevada Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I am trying to get information for Elko and Winnemucca from local officials - I'll post if I learn anything.

Here is the reply from someone at the Building Department at the City of Elko:

We do currently have a 6 stall charging station being built here in Elko. The address is 2405 Mountain City Highway, next to the restaurant Denny's and Big 5 Sporting Goods. We are very excited about this development and we know many others are as well!

Planning on Trukee,Ca to SLC run in Feb 2015. Looks like the only way to do this is charge to 100% in Trukee,spend the night at KOA in Winnemucca where they have 50AMP, on to Elko where there MAY be a level 2 charger (have not been able to confirm this), and hopefully onto West Wendover super charger. The Elko link bothers me as I have not been able to confirm this. Any thoughts?

Planning on Trukee,Ca to SLC run in Feb 2015. Looks like the only way to do this is charge to 100% in Trukee,spend the night at KOA in Winnemucca where they have 50AMP, on to Elko where there MAY be a level 2 charger (have not been able to confirm this), and hopefully onto West Wendover super charger. The Elko link bothers me as I have not been able to confirm this. Any thoughts?
It looks like to me there are a number of RV Parks in Elko that have 50 amp outlets.
Search Results Near Elko, NV | RV Parking.com[0]=bm_field_amps_50%3Atrue

Since the Lovelock supercharger is now open, you can do a range charge there. That should get you to Elko, whose supercharger might be open by the time you do your drive. If possible, please take photos of the superchargers in Lovelock, Winnemucca (under construction and probably at least a couple weeks behind Elko), and Elko (operational or not).

Last edited:
According to http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/Nevada-am-50amps.htm#Mapp there are a number of campgrounds along the route between Lovelock and Wendover with 50 amp connections. Besides several in Winnemucca and Elko, there is also one in Battle Mountain and a couple near Wells.

Having driven that stretch of I-80 a number times over the years, in ICE cars, it is fun to see superchargers installed along it.

According to http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/Nevada-am-50amps.htm#Mapp there are a number of campgrounds along the route between Lovelock and Wendover with 50 amp connections. Besides several in Winnemucca and Elko, there is also one in Battle Mountain and a couple near Wells.

Having driven that stretch of I-80 a number times over the years, in ICE cars, it is fun to see superchargers installed along it.

This time of year, always call ahead to the RV parks to make sure they are open and EV friendly; always ask for 50 Amp service. I like to choose the ones that have WiFi, and grab some food so that I can make the stop productive with a meal and e-mail rest stop.

To optimize total charge time, leave the last Supercharger when the charging current at the Supercharger is down to half of your AC charging current at the next charging stop. Before that, it's faster to charge on the Supercharger, after that, it's faster to charge on the L2. For the RV 50-Amp outlets that give you 40 Amps charging, that means leaving the Supercharger when it drops to 20 Amps charging, or about 98-99% charged.

Have fun and send pictures!

We still need Winnemucca and Tooele for comfortable, quick Supercharged travel across I-80, but with Elko opening this morning, 85's can hypermile the 195 miles from Lovelock to Elko and the 206 miles from West Wendover to Nephi.

Do we call this a Hypermile Opening of I-80 across Nevada? :biggrin:

Winnemucca is under construction, but we still have not heard about any construction activity in Tooele yet.

We still need Winnemucca and Tooele for comfortable, quick Supercharged travel across I-80, but with Elko opening this morning, 85's can hypermile the 195 miles from Lovelock to Elko and the 206 miles from West Wendover to Nephi.

Do we call this a Hypermile Opening of I-80 across Nevada? :biggrin:

Winnemucca is under construction, but we still have not heard about any construction activity in Tooele yet.
If we're going to be picky, the "Supercharger Highway" section of I-80 stops at SLC, and it's an easy run from SLC to W.Wendover. It's just you Coloradans who want to drive to CA that will have to hypermile! (That's an incredible gain in elevation, going up from Wendover to Pequop Summit!)

If we're going to be picky, the "Supercharger Highway" section of I-80 stops at SLC, and it's an easy run from SLC to W.Wendover. It's just you Coloradans who want to drive to CA that will have to hypermile! (That's an incredible gain in elevation, going up from Wendover to Pequop Summit!)

Yes, but the net elevation from West Wendover to Nephi is only about 700 feet or 4 rated miles; you get to go down the other side of Pequop Summit. If driven reasonably, the MS nets out climbs and descents for most terrain.

It's not just us Coloradans. According to the Tesla maps, the I-80 east of SLC does not get worked on until 2016. For a while, the path east will take I-70 across Colorado.

I have heard from reliable sources that something will be happening in Council Bluffs, IA soon, but that is on Tesla's published plans for 2015...Council Bluffs is the only I-80 Supercharger east of SLC for a while.

I have heard from reliable sources that something will be happening in Council Bluffs, IA soon, but that is on Tesla's published plans for 2015...Council Bluffs is the only I-80 Supercharger east of SLC for a while.
Cheyenne's already on line, but I hear 'ya. If I drive to Connect 2015 this year, I'll likely be passing through Colorado and on to the Nevada Supercharger Highway, too. Given how quickly they're moving on this route, though, I expect we'll see Tooele fairly quickly.

Yes, but the net elevation from West Wendover to Nephi is only about 700 feet or 4 rated miles; you get to go down the other side of Pequop Summit. If driven reasonably, the MS nets out climbs and descents for most terrain.

It's not just us Coloradans. According to the Tesla maps, the I-80 east of SLC does not get worked on until 2016. For a while, the path east will take I-70 across Colorado.

I'm looking at taking a trip to PA in March. It looks like the I-80 route across Nevada will be finished and then will have to drop down to I-70 (which will be a nice scenic route).
Right now the only problematic section is from West Wendover to Nephi which looks doable at 203 miles but 247 RM according to EV Trip Planner. Could be a problem unless I want to freeze in the car and drive slowly. Might be best to plan an overnight near SLC to recharge (battery and my wife and myself).

If that is the case, then that should allow a north-south journey between I70 at Kansas City to the I90 Supercharger at Worthington MN without undue pressure in clement conditions! My son and I are going to Milwaukee in May, and I figured out that we could charge in Omaha for a few hours at a HPWC (two are listed on PlugShare) with the owner's permission in order to reach Worthington.

If that is the case, then that should allow a north-south journey between I70 at Kansas City to the I90 Supercharger at Worthington MN without undue pressure in clement conditions! My son and I are going to Milwaukee in May, and I figured out that we could charge in Omaha for a few hours at a HPWC (two are listed on PlugShare) with the owner's permission in order to reach Worthington.

If you are lucky, Council Bluffs, IA will be done for you. I hear that location is "on the way..."

I'm looking at taking a trip to PA in March. It looks like the I-80 route across Nevada will be finished and then will have to drop down to I-70 (which will be a nice scenic route).
Right now the only problematic section is from West Wendover to Nephi which looks doable at 203 miles but 247 RM according to EV Trip Planner. Could be a problem unless I want to freeze in the car and drive slowly. Might be best to plan an overnight near SLC to recharge (battery and my wife and myself).

You are welcome to stop at my place to pickup some miles for an hour or so on my HPWC, I'm just south of SLC and not too far off of I-15. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Did you account for the likely help you'll get from west winds?

You are welcome to stop at my place to pickup some miles for an hour or so on my HPWC, I'm just south of SLC and not too far off of I-15. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Thanks very much for the offer. It looks like the Tooele, UT supercharger is now under construction so should be complete by the time of my trip. This will make it easy to get to Nephi without worrying about range.
Now the only problem is Missouri... what's the problem with Missouri? Big gap there and no sign of activity. I don't want to have to travel up north to I-90. Probably have to plan an overnight in Missouri with destination charging.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you account for the likely help you'll get from west winds?
Looks like Tooele, UT is under construction now so that solves the problem from West Wendover to Nephi.
Missouri is the last hurdle... big gap there, it's 373 miles from Topeka to Springfield... I could hope for a really big tailwind.

Whoa, partners--sitting here in Omaha (with Council Bluffs right across the river) I am wondering what has been heard about Council Bluffs. I have heard nothing except in this thread...
I don't see one on the revised Tesla SupC map.

Whoa, partners--sitting here in Omaha (with Council Bluffs right across the river) I am wondering what has been heard about Council Bluffs. I have heard nothing except in this thread...
I don't see one on the revised Tesla SupC map.

Take a look at the 2015 map. Sure looks like Council Bluffs to me...

Council Bluffs.jpg