TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Never been to a supercharger before, question...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lazenby, May 6, 2016.

1. Lazenby

Lazenby Member

Can you sit in the car with the AC on while it charges? I'm going to Barstow and was thinking of bringing food with my family rather than go to Chillis.

2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Yes - Enjoy!

3. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

Absolutely. On my business road trips I frequently will work on emails, etc while supercharging. In warm weather the Air Conditioner may get pretty loud, though. This is normal.

4. eloder

eloder Member

One of the nicest things about EVs. You can even sleep in your garage with the heater and/or AC on, if you so choose. (I'm assuming Teslas allow this just as easily as my Leaf does).

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It's doable. Here's everyone's favorite Tesla YouTuber explaining how to do it:

6. Maximus8

Maximus8 Member

Sure does...personally, not a fan of sleeping in cars. If you find yourself sleeping in your Tesla a lot, you probably have a drinking problem or you should have spent your $100k on better housing. ;)

7. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Member

Or be nicer to your wife.

• Funny x 1
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Or you are just patiently waiting for auto-pilot to get better;)

9. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Yes, you can, but you will be missing out on one of the best supercharger layovers dining establishments. They do a good job keeping pace with incoming travelers and go out of their way to leave a good impression. I look forward to those spots with more accommodations.

If you are interested, try comparing Mojave to it, there is literally almost nothing out there, esp. after hours at the shop in front of the chargers.

10. cpa

cpa Member

I agree that Chili's is a grand place to grab a bite while Supercharging. I have eaten there three times. I always make it a point to tell someone inside that I am charging, so they know that we are patronizing their establishment. (I am not trying to persuade you to change your plans, however.)

Are you headed north on Interstate 15, or east on Interstate 40? I ask because if you are going east on 40, the Needles Supercharger is at a Dairy Queen--really not my idea of dining. You might get a "snack" at Chili's while charging more than enough to reach Needles, then use the DQ in Needles to finish your lunch brought from home. You will only need about 15 minutes at Needles to reach Kingman.

Enjoy!