Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never drive away without the key card!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and never ignore warning messages!

Lesson learned today. Opened the car as normal with my phone in a pocket. There was a warning note that "the walk away close feature is not available", but I did not pay attention. The car started and I drove away. Got out from the car for a few minutes - the car did not lock but I was just nearby so no bother. Back to the car and it did not move - it asked for a card key (which was at home in my wallet). Checked the App - my account was active but no products found. Cannot start the car without the key card and without the active App, so I had to wait for my wife to bring me my wallet. Tomorrow I will call Tesla to find out what has happened and why my Account is not connected to my car anymore, but I learned the lesson - always carry your key card with you even when using your phone...

...and never ignore warning messages!

Lesson learned today. Opened the car as normal with my phone in a pocket. There was a warning note that "the walk away close feature is not available", but I did not pay attention. The car started and I drove away. Got out from the car for a few minutes - the car did not lock but I was just nearby so no bother. Back to the car and it did not move - it asked for a card key (which was at home in my wallet). Checked the App - my account was active but no products found. Cannot start the car without the key card and without the active App, so I had to wait for my wife to bring me my wallet. Tomorrow I will call Tesla to find out what has happened and why my Account is not connected to my car anymore, but I learned the lesson - always carry your key card with you even when using your phone...

Might be convenient but its a big security risk to use your phone for entry. Bite the bullet & buy the expensive fob.

Bite the bullet & buy the expensive fob.

I agree 100%. The fob has been 100% reliable for me, never even as much glitched once. I just keep it in my pocket with the house keys and it just always works. I often don't have my phone turned on, so the fob is far and away the easiest solution for me.

Not that expensive, either, at £140. I had to buy a replacement fob for my i3 and it cost about double that, believe it or not, and it was less capable.

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216
Might be convenient but its a big security risk to use your phone for entry. Bite the bullet & buy the expensive fob.
If your phone is lost or stolen, any potential thieves would need a pin/pw to unlock it.

If the fob is lost or stolen, they can just head straight to the car to unlock it

Hopefully you have pin to drive enabled regardless of the unlock method you use.

Are you referring to relay attacks?

I agree 100%. The fob has been 100% reliable for me, never even as much glitched once. I just keep it in my pocket with the house keys and it just always works. I often don't have my phone turned on, so the fob is far and away the easiest solution for me.

Not that expensive, either, at £140. I had to buy a replacement fob for my i3 and it cost about double that, believe it or not, and it was less capable.
I'm sure it's great and very convenient but think the suggestion was that it was more secure, which I don't understand.

Reactions: pow216 and Js1977
Just one big security risk.
Loose or have your phone stolen. A quick look at the tesla app shows the location of your car. Hurrah a free tesla.
Forget your phone pin. I was in the telecomms industry since 1980, the typical phone pin is just about the earliest to break.
Dont rely on it.
so you can break my 12 digit phone pin?

find the fob in a restaurant/store, head out to the parking lot pushing the button looking for the flashing lights.

have proximity unlock enabled in the car with a fob, be subject to repeater attacks.

if one is that concerned (which is ok), use pin to drive.

Reactions: Obliter8 and Js1977
If your phone is lost or stolen, any potential thieves would need a pin/pw to unlock it.

If the fob is lost or stolen, they can just head straight to the car to unlock it

Hopefully you have pin to drive enabled regardless of the unlock method you use.

Are you referring to relay attacks?

You have a 80% greater chance of loosing or having your phone stolen than your house/car keys

The keyfob is only expensive since virtually all other car manufacturers include one with the car, many costing a lot less than 50k.

so you can break my 12 digit phone pin?

find the fob in a restaurant/store, head out to the parking lot pushing the button looking for the flashing lights.

have proximity unlock enabled in the car with a fob, be subject to repeater attacks.

if one is that concerned (which is ok), use pin to drive.

I cant reveal how its done but for starters there are hundreds if not thousands of back street phone dealers who will unlock your phone in under 3 minutes.
I agree with your comnent on the fob, however you are 80% more like to loose your phone than your keys,

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7
Out of interest... Does uninstalling the Tesla app and reinstalling make it forget it's a key? And then need enabling again.

I wonder if in some situations an app or phone update means the app might loose some of it's settings.