TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Never ends.... :(

Discussion in 'Model S' started by chammerbeck, Aug 26, 2018.

1. chammerbeck

chammerbeck Member

Seems to never end..... young girl blew a light two weeks ago on a Friday......

As of this past Friday my main, center screen is totally black. I have tried all the reset procedures listed here and with customer support on the phone. The system won't wake up. I even went as far as pulling the entire negative terminal off the 12v battery in hopes of a total shutdown/restart. No luck. The IC display tends to be dim at times. The car takes forever to power up to drive. Seems like the car is functioning in the default configuration too. Zero HVAC or creature comforts. Best part of all...... Displays "Charge Complete" all the time when plugged in on my home AC. Fortunately I have 190 miles on the charge still and the vehicle is at home. Guess it could be worse.... stuck in some city unable to charge with low miles....

Thinking the accident impact may have something to do with it.... Notified my adjuster of this recent change. Waiting on his reply.

Oh....second best part...LOL.....I just came out of warranty a month ago!

Attached Files:

2. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

They don't warranty crashes anyway.

Hope it all works out.

• Like x 1
  3. Nick B

Nick B Member

Not much you can really do to avoid other drivers' errors.... the insurance should pay up the total cost to fix the car (including the main screen - it's part of the same incident).

4. TM Parts

TM Parts Teslamotive

If it gets totaled, find out the buyback price and very likely I'd buy it off of you with a couple thousand on top.

• Informative x 1
  5. demundus

demundus Active Member

The main screen could be any range of things. But for your own sanity, make sure you mention it has been that way since the accident. Because it has. Don’t jump to conclusions or troubleshoot. It was working before you were hit, now it’s not.

Plain and simple.

• Like x 1
  6. chammerbeck

chammerbeck Member

Total costs so far crash with the screen is about $10k. They replaced the screen/MCU.....$2078(Replace OE Surplus). Not sure if that is a refurb or not....probably at this price. Curious what the warranty is on refurb parts from Tesla. My DU a bit back was also a refurb. Curious how long I have before the refurb takes a dump or are they actually reliable now they know the failures on the old 2013 models. I am totally out of warranty for bumper to bumper. Drivetrain is still valid. Asked if I could get a newer, faster screen and they said not compatible. Asked to do the LTE upgrade while apart and they "forgot". Seems not really worth it at this point right now....maybe two years or so from now.....

7. demundus

demundus Active Member

They generally fixed the "issues" in 2014+ on the screen. I'm guessing the screen was "goodwill" from Tesla but shown in-line, cause the QP and bumperwork alone should be 10k with paint and blend.

8. chammerbeck

chammerbeck Member

No "goodwill" on the quote. Actually the SC is only doing the electronics repair in Highland Park, IL. My local, Tesla approved body shop is doing the body work. Two different businesses....