Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never had a car that’s garnered so much attention from non car people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving in stop and go traffic the other day. I was messing around with the map trying to determine where the slowdown was through Santa Barbara on a Saturday afternoon and this woman in a newish Chevy suburban type suv was just looking at me from the front passenger seat as I was touching the screen. She look like a soccer mom type. She looked psyched at what I was doing to the interface likes it’s a big iPad. And it made me think. I get so many conversations from coworkers, colleagues, secretaries. They’re regular MAINSTREAM people, NON-CAR PEOPLE. Coworkers who drive Prius, Honda civics, accord, mustangs, Honda minivans, trucks, asking me questions about it, they’re curious! The security guard jokes that I’m driving her car each time I pass her to leave work, every time I drive it to work.

I’ve owned special enthusiast cars. From a 2nd gen eclipse, Nissan Z, to VW Gti, BMW M Sport. The past cars, I’d get conversations on rare occasions but all were usually enthusiast car people. But this tesla is such a head turner.

I feel like it has the cultural impact that the iPhone had. When I got my first iPhone 1st generation I’m 2007 people were genuinely excited for this new product they’ve never seen before. Wanting to touch the screen, wanting to know how it works, and why it’s different from other phones. What makes it special. This car is like that. They get blown away when I say there’s no engine to look at, there’s no trunk, there’s no oil to change, and there’s no sacrifice to range.

Hopefully they will move towards an electric car for their future car and we inhale less smog as a result.