Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never had an EV car. Registration questions (for CA at least)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had an EV car, so it's hard to figure out where to start figuring out what's what. I've heard everything from rebates (though I think that's over now for Model Y's in California), to those little stickers you can get for carpool lanes, and other things. How does this all work? I'm guessing I just register the car and I'll get the right stickers and such?

I googled, but I have no idea what keywords I'm looking for here. I'd love to be pointed in the right direction, and maybe this will be useful for other EV newbies as well.

Thanks!

I've never had an EV car, so it's hard to figure out where to start figuring out what's what. I've heard everything from rebates (though I think that's over now for Model Y's in California), to those little stickers you can get for carpool lanes, and other things. How does this all work? I'm guessing I just register the car and I'll get the right stickers and such?

I googled, but I have no idea what keywords I'm looking for here. I'd love to be pointed in the right direction, and maybe this will be useful for other EV newbies as well.

Thanks!
It's not that simple, and don't expect anything to happen automatically :)

There is still a $2K CA EV rebate - Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

The federal EV credit is no longer there indeed for Tesla.

Carpool stickers you'll need to apply for (by mail) - Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Carpool stickers are valid for the year they are originally released in, and then for the next 3 years. If you can live without them until early 2021, it might be worth delaying getting them until January 2021. It takes a few weeks to receive them depending on how busy they are.

Reactions: MNBlues
You will need to receive your registration in the mail to start the process.

1) File for any Utility EV Rebates (SCE has $1000 so do some others)
2) File for California Clean Air Rebate ($2000)
3) Apply to DMV for HOV stickers

There are income limits now.
Tesla is no longer eligible for Fed credit.

It's not that simple, and don't expect anything to happen automatically :)

There is still a $2K CA EV rebate - Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

The federal EV credit is no longer there indeed for Tesla.

Carpool stickers you'll need to apply for (by mail) - Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Carpool stickers are valid for the year they are originally released in, and then for the next 3 years. If you can live without them until early 2021, it might be worth delaying getting them until January 2021. It takes a few weeks to receive them depending on how busy they are.

Please note that if your income is above certain levels, you can no longer claim for both the HOV sticker and the Clean Vehicle Rebate:

Reactions: jwuwu

Thanks!

Don’t forget about PG&E $800 rebate (Assuming Berkeley is on PG&E?)

Electric vehicle (EV) rebates

I think you need to wait until you get your actual registration and plates before applying.