Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never leave the Charge Port Door open without a working charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a Public Service Announcement or FYI for Tesla Roadster owners:

Never leave your Charge Port Door open unless you're sure that the charger is working (or at least ensure that you'll be back soon to check on status).

I live in an apartment with a ChargePoint system in the resident garage. The ChargePoint system has stopped working, and it's been difficult to get anyone from that company out to service the charger. I happened to park my car, open the charge port door, and prepared to start charging as soon as the system was repaired. However, several days went by, and I noticed that the battery dropped quickly. The VDS backlight stayed lit the whole time, showing "Preparing to Charge" with the battery charge meter displayed. I noticed each day that the battery was significantly lower than the previous.

Eventually, I got the hint and closed the charge port door. I also moved the car somewhere else where I could charge.

Basically, I'm warning folks that if you're going to park your car for a while with the charge port door open, then you'd better confirm that the charger is actually working. A non-working charger combined with an open charge port door seems to result in draining the battery faster than normal parking with the charge port door closed.

Note to self: I need to get around to installing the OVMS 3 that I have, so I'll be notified of status changes, and can at least remotely query the charge level and whether the car is draining or gaining.

This is a Public Service Announcement or FYI for Tesla Roadster owners:

Never leave your Charge Port Door open unless you're sure that the charger is working (or at least ensure that you'll be back soon to check on status).

I live in an apartment with a ChargePoint system in the resident garage. The ChargePoint system has stopped working, and it's been difficult to get anyone from that company out to service the charger. I happened to park my car, open the charge port door, and prepared to start charging as soon as the system was repaired. However, several days went by, and I noticed that the battery dropped quickly. The VDS backlight stayed lit the whole time, showing "Preparing to Charge" with the battery charge meter displayed. I noticed each day that the battery was significantly lower than the previous.

Eventually, I got the hint and closed the charge port door. I also moved the car somewhere else where I could charge.

Basically, I'm warning folks that if you're going to park your car for a while with the charge port door open, then you'd better confirm that the charger is actually working. A non-working charger combined with an open charge port door seems to result in draining the battery faster than normal parking with the charge port door closed.

Note to self: I need to get around to installing the OVMS 3 that I have, so I'll be notified of status changes, and can at least remotely query the charge level and whether the car is draining or gaining.
Yes, this is an important warning. I damaged my battery recently when a circuit breaker tripped at a low state of charge, and I didn't find out about it until much later.

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
I always wait for the click to know the car is charging and usually confirm it is by either looking at the VDS or making sure the charge light is flashing amber.
So do I. It was charging when I left. But I share a circuit with other people :-(. Between charging the Roadster and someone in an adjoining hangar using power tools or something, the breaker tripped well after I left.