Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never rely on Tesla App on Android; Google can stop it for no reason.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclosure: I love Tesla. I strongly dislike Google very very much. Hate leads to the Dark Side; so I don't go there.
I use my phone Tesla app for everything and was loving it.

Then after 5 months, I get a message that "unfortunately, the Tesla App was stopped."
Two choices; Report and OK. OK takes you to Android main screen. Report takes you to a 30 page legal document with an Accept or Decline. I have done whatever it takes to keep my private info from Google, who runs it thru their AI and stores it in their permanent database. And they will sell it to anyone with money. I thought I was safe from them with Tesla, but NO. Google can stop any app from the Google Play Store anytime they want. They consider apps you purchased there a continuing Google service under their control.
THAT WAS A GIGANTIC SURPRISE !

I was standing outside my Model Y in the Grocery Store parking lot when I got the message on my phone. I was staring at my Tesla Card sitting on the passenger side floor where it had slid off the center console start position. I had walked around the car to open the door when the message appeared. I couldn't get in the car with my phone to get the Card key.

An hour or so later, my lady showed up with the second Card key. She was not happy. Google is the biggest bully ever. I really dislike Google as the Great Satan because of their stance on personal private information.

Rather than bow to Google's monopoly and join the world's AI database of private information on subjects; I have decided to order one of the new iPhone 12's from Apple. Their policies had them tell the Government to "stick it" when ordered to bypass security and give FBI the keys to the backdoor. I like that a lot !!!
I don't like having to lean a new operating system, transfer data, reinstall apps, and start over with Apple.

For all you folks who see no problem with giving all your private information, including medical, your locations, your readings, your videos, your posts, your mail and ........ to Google; you have no problem. Google says they're only trying to help (tailoring their communications with you to words they know you like and make you manageable). Of course, they have the greatest extortion and blackmail database in history. For those who are locked into Google, Chrome, Search, Mail, and their partners you have a choice. You can learn how to install APK's yourself and bypass Google store. Or buy Apple. That will at least get past their control of Apps that they don't own. They still will collect every piece of info on you that they can.

Being locked out of an App on my own Cell phone really shocked and angered me. Being muscled into signing a legal document that would take days to comprehend just sucks (that's a technical term).

You've been warned. If you find yourself traveling and suddenly denied access to what you thought was a Tesla App, blame yourself.

End of Line

I see you like to shoot the messenger.

The app crashed. That is almost certainly NOT google's fault. It is Tesla's crappy coding that caused the crash. What would you want the phone to do? Let the crashed Tesla app permanently brick your phone? Stopping the crashed app is 100% the right behaviour.

Then Google gave you two options, report the crash to Tesla or go on with your life without reporting the crash. You are upset that there isn't a 3rd option, but I can't think of what the 3rd option would be and you aren't saying.

Did you try rebooting your phone or even just re-launching the Tesla app? 99% chance that would have solved the problem.

Does anyone know what this thread is about?

The OP not understanding that the tesla app on their android phone crashed, and mistakenly thinking that it had something to do with google blocking the tesla app for just him, vs everyone else that uses the tesla app on android.

Or,

A rant about google veiled as something to do with an android phone.

Or

A troll post

My bet is number 3, because no one who felt that strongly about being "anti google" would ever have an android phone in the first place.

. I have done whatever it takes to keep my private info from Google,
. They still will collect every piece of info on you that they can.

Dude, get a flip phone. Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon -- they all collect data on you whether you like it or not.

wargames-quote-not-to-play.jpg

Oh noes, another "Red Team, Blue Team" thread, lol.

I personally prefer Apple products, but use Google services all the time. I understand that they are free, only because Google makes money by selling my eyeballs to advertisers, and I'm OK with that.

If desired, you can limit what Google tracks about you, or delete stored data:

See, control & delete the info in your Google Account - Google Account Help

Reactions: APotatoGod
Well, that is unsettling. The assumptions many of you made about my post are hilarious.
I bring a legitimate issue to the forum and I get accused of Trolling.

If you read my post, I clearly stated that anyone can use an APK and an installer to bypass Google Play. Why state that again as a suggestion.

First, there is nothing wrong with the Tesla app. Google support confirmed it ! They said they wanted me to reup on the contract. That is what "Report" takes you to do. So you posters who guessed that it was the App, are wrong. I'm wondering why you didn't believe it the first time I stated it ??? I got the "Unfortunately" message because Google wanted a new contract signed by me.

To the folks who called me a Troll, name calling must make you feel like you gave a response. You didn't. Name calling and character assassination are examples of really poor communications, not good posts. Your guess as to my intentions were off base. In No way was I trying to start any kind of controversy. I had hoped to warn people about what I had discovered; and directly from Google.

I tried to be as specific as possible giving details for others. No individuals were harmed in the making of that post. Google is not a person.

I'm sorry if you really like Google and I offended you personally somehow. That was not my intent.

Yeah, w t f is this post... Makes zero sense. The Tesla app is free on the google play store. You hate Google yet you had an Android phone, ok... You signing a contract to sell your soul... bla bla. Your lady friend bought you the second key card because you dropped our first one... ok... thanks for letting us know.

• Disagree
Reactions: Joe