Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never thought I’d say this…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But just got my wife a 2019 X3, returning to the bmw brand after two beloved Tesla’s and I have to say my first reaction after instantly setting up wireless CarPlay which worked flawlessly, and then plugged in my much worked on USB stick of 3000 great songs to see beautiful big album art, and lots of ways to search and browse through everything, I told my wife…”I may be driving your car more than you think”

This Tesla Holiday UI fiasco is really making me sad.

Never driven anything better than my MY Boost, but the UI is such a big part of the experience driving, and it is just sooooooo frustrating and poor.

Thx for listening :(

I completely understand.

Yesterday the local paper showed a video of the Wisconsin Tesla Club President giving a Model S user interface overview. I thought it was funny that every feature he showed as novel (outside of the Emissions Test, Santa Mode, and other Toy Box features) could be done by my wife’s 2019 Subaru Outback. It seemed like maybe he hadn’t been in anything other than a Tesla for a few years.

I think the voice commands in Carplay are far more functional than in my Model Y.

I think Apple has far more time and resources invested in their user interface than Tesla due to their age and broad owner base.

I have had my MYLR for just 3 days. The thing that has really disappointed me is the lack of a front camera while parking. I parked 2 feet behind the white line at Costco, because there was no car in front of me. So the proximity sensor was of no use. A camera at the grill height would have done the job. I miss the 360 view parking assist of my old 2017 Lexus SUV. We have another 2020 Lexus 450 Rxh SUV which we are going to keep for some time before thinking of a Tesla. The small tire wall height give a real bumpy ride. I miss the car play too, but it is not a deal breaker as much as the lack of camera's for assisting forward direction car parking.

Sell it! There are scores of people waiting to buy one. The UI is a dumb thing to get upset about. You’re paying for the technology — not for the car. It’s basically a glorified Honda with $30k of tech installed.

I suggest you look at the much smaller and less capable Mercedes EQS. The UI and expansive screens there may meet the standards your looking for.

Sell it! There are scores of people waiting to buy one. The UI is a dumb thing to get upset about. You’re paying for the technology — not for the car. It’s basically a glorified Honda with $30k of tech installed.

I suggest you look at the much smaller and less capable Mercedes EQS. The UI and expansive screens there may meet the standards your looking for.
I don't want to go wait another few months for replacement in this crazy market. I am thus not going to sell it. Instead, I am going to install a Hannshow monitor and a front camera mounted at the grill level. Should take me 2 hours on a weekend. As far as the other things like rougher ride, it is a matter of getting used to it, much like an acquired taste. if you keep eating it, you eventually learn to like it;)

I don't want to go wait another few months for replacement in this crazy market. I am thus not going to sell it. Instead, I am going to install a Hannshow monitor and a front camera mounted at the grill level. Should take me 2 hours on a weekend. As far as the other things like rougher ride, it is a matter of getting used to it, much like an acquired taste. if you keep eating it, you eventually learn to like it;)
Or like continuously bashing your head against a brick wall. The pain never goes away, but eventually it's just normal, you don't even think about it.

I'm resigned to v11. Still on v10, so I'm deliberately playing with turning on/off the steering wheel heater, to try to get a baseline for how stuff will be buried in menus. I figured out a safe way to do it, even in heavy workload driving (merging from I5 South to I90 East in Seattle).

It's doable. Quick glance at a safe time, click once. Wait until another safe time to glance again, click again. Wait again, glance, click again. SUPER fast glancing, clicking without looking. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but I'm a grown up, I'll put up with it.

The music mess sounds pretty bad though. Guess we'll have to find new workarounds.

But just got my wife a 2019 X3, returning to the bmw brand after two beloved Tesla’s and I have to say my first reaction after instantly setting up wireless CarPlay which worked flawlessly, and then plugged in my much worked on USB stick of 3000 great songs to see beautiful big album art, and lots of ways to search and browse through everything, I told my wife…”I may be driving your car more than you think”

Never driven anything better than my MY Boost, but the UI is such a big part of the experience driving, and it is just sooooooo frustrating and poor.

Thx for listening :(

Shrug... I have a 2019 X3 M40I thats my wifes, that we got new in 2019, and I cant stand the interface in it (after driving only BMWs for the better part of 15 years). She asked me to sell it and get her a model Y cause she doesnt like the interface any longer either, and. prefers my cars interface (model 3 performance).

The X3 we custom ordered with every option other than a tow hitch., its the exact color she wanted, etc.

Now, I dont use music on USB, so dont care about that. The syncing between the wireless carplay and her various iphones is not always seemless, it "mostly" works but sometimes you have to toggle stuff to get it to work.

iDrive isnt any better, if you choose to not use carplay and go with the native idrive interface.

To each their own.

We have a 2019 X3 and an MYP - wireless carplay is nice but it is not flawless, often we have to force it to reconnect. The rest of the iDrive interface (not carplay) is a PITA. Settings are often buried 3 or 4 levels deep in a menu system that seems randomly (dis)organized. BMW does NOT make quality software. Often we turn off the car and get out but the music keeps playing and doesn't shut off unless you lock the doors (which we don't like doing when it's parked in our garage). Other times, it shuts off as expected when we turn off the car and open the door. It's kind of random and very annoying.

V11 is not great, but BMW's native system isn't any better *and*, you are stuck with the BMW interface unless you buy a new car. At least Tesla can make changes and hopefully improve the problems in v11 with future updates.

I've read countless complaints about V11 on these forums, and I just think that some cars/UI are just better suited for some people than others. For me, while I can't really make the case that V11 is better than V10, V11 has been just fine and I've had no real complaints while using it extensively (including a rather tense 3 hour drive in snow yesterday) over the past week or so after getting my car back from the body shop. Some people can't stand V11 and rather use the BMW X3 interface like the OP, while others, like me, think V11 is just fine. I think it all comes down how a particular UI fits the way your brain works, and that's OK. Everyone should use what works best for them.

I've read countless complaints about V11 on these forums, and I just think that some cars/UI are just better suited for some people than others. For me, while I can't really make the case that V11 is better than V10, V11 has been just fine and I've had no real complaints while using it extensively (including a rather tense 3 hour drive in snow yesterday) over the past week or so after getting my car back from the body shop. Some people can't stand V11 and rather use the BMW X3 interface like the OP, while others, like me, think V11 is just fine. I think it all comes down how a particular UI fits the way your brain works, and that's OK. Everyone should use what works best for them.
Good points. Software interface can be very intuitive or not depending on how one thinks. Most successful interfaces are those most people find intuitive. I never used V 10. My car came last week with V11. To me V 11 is a new system with no comparison. So it is not an issue. For those moving from V 10 to V 11, I do see many are frustrated with the change. One thing I learnt decades back in my career. It is more important to "unlearn" things than learn new things as your position and conditions changes. You get promoted from Engineer to Manager, you have to unlearn your ways of doing things yourself and learn to delegate. As you go to the next level, say a director, unlearn your managerial ways and learn the role and responsibility of your current role. Unfortunately Peter Drucker's theory applies to many as they reach their level of incompetence due to the inability to perform in their new role. Likewise, key to "enjoying" V 11, is to unlearn V 10 and then learn V 11. The longer one is grounded in V10, the longer it will take to reach high competency in using V 11. Just my 2c. YMMV.

Good points. Software interface can be very intuitive or not depending on how one thinks. Most successful interfaces are those most people find intuitive. I never used V 10. My car came last week with V11. To me V 11 is a new system with no comparison. So it is not an issue. For those moving from V 10 to V 11, I do see many are frustrated with the change. One thing I learnt decades back in my career. It is more important to "unlearn" things than learn new things as your position and conditions changes. You get promoted from Engineer to Manager, you have to unlearn your ways of doing things yourself and learn to delegate. As you go to the next level, say a director, unlearn your managerial ways and learn the role and responsibility of your current role. Unfortunately Peter Drucker's theory applies to many as they reach their level of incompetence due to the inability to perform in their new role. Likewise, key to "enjoying" V 11, is to unlearn V 10 and then learn V 11. The longer one is grounded in V10, the longer it will take to reach high competency in using V 11. Just my 2c. YMMV.

Yup summed up well and i find V11 fine it took me a whole day to be used to it and now just another day of business

However it would be smart for tesla to make things way more customizable for the individual or just design something braindead easy as apple carplay or AA i guess

I work for a death star looking globe telco company and i can honestly tell you most people hate change when it comes too technology of any aspect and i find that appalling in 2022
but its common thing i see on the daily of all ages to boot

I just think that some cars/UI are just better suited for some people than others. For me, while I can't really make the case that V11 is better than V10,
I think you’re right, there’s definitely preference involved as well as differing use cases. For me it comes down to the fact that virtually nothing of importance is easier while many things are more difficult or less convenient. There's really no excuse for that.

Or like continuously bashing your head against a brick wall. The pain never goes away, but eventually it's just normal, you don't even think about it.

I'm resigned to v11. Still on v10, so I'm deliberately playing with turning on/off the steering wheel heater, to try to get a baseline for how stuff will be buried in menus. I figured out a safe way to do it, even in heavy workload driving (merging from I5 South to I90 East in Seattle).

It's doable. Quick glance at a safe time, click once. Wait until another safe time to glance again, click again. Wait again, glance, click again. SUPER fast glancing, clicking without looking. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but I'm a grown up, I'll put up with it.

The music mess sounds pretty bad though. Guess we'll have to find new workarounds.

Everyone is very much open to their opinion and UI is inherently subjective.

The principles of V11’s use of screen space seem to be highly inexperienced. In the 3/Y, often used functions are hard to access, 90% of the screen real estate is dedicated to a massive map of at least a two mile radius which meets very little purpose when using nav or not, an autopilot rendering which is merely a show off trick that should best be left behind the scenes, and a full monochromatic color palette that offers little readability, poor hierarchy of information and active state and little “excitement. “

Can someone tell me when the dashboard cam is on or off for ex. Does the red dot mean it is recording or not?

When are the auto heat seaters on or off? Dark grey or light grey?

Alas, one thing I’ve found is that legibility is greatly improved when left on Dark Mode 24/7

Hoping to love my Tesla cockpit experience again soon….

Everyone is very much open to their opinion and UI is inherently subjective.

The principles of V11’s use of screen space seem to be highly inexperienced. In the 3/Y, often used functions are hard to access, 90% of the screen real estate is dedicated to a massive map of at least a two mile radius which meets very little purpose when using nav or not, an autopilot rendering which is merely a show off trick that should best be left behind the scenes,
I would have to disagree with that statement about the autopilot rendering/FSD realization, at least for me personally. I've really have come to enjoy knowing what the car is "seeing" and look at that rendering far more than the large map. I can certainly see the viewpoint that the FSD realization is a waste of space, but the way I tend to think, I just really like knowing what the car is "seeing". When I've driven other cars since getting my MYP, especially ones that has some sort of a car icon in the instrument cluster, I find that I really miss having it represent what the car is actually seeing.

And if you think this year's EOY update was bad, just wait until December 2022. It's going to be much worse, because they're always much worse. Tesla hasn't improved their UI since v9, and there's a lot of tweets suggesting it's going to be a painful road ahead for anybody sticking with it.