Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never thought I’d say this…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have to disagree with that statement about the autopilot rendering/FSD realization, at least for me personally. I've really have come to enjoy knowing what the car is "seeing" and look at that rendering far more than the large map. I can certainly see the viewpoint that the FSD realization is a waste of space, but the way I tend to think, I just really like knowing what the car is "seeing". When I've driven other cars since getting my MYP, especially ones that has some sort of a car icon in the instrument cluster, I find that I really miss having it represent what the car is actually seeing.
I enjoy seeing the car's 'picture' as well, and it's actually a better blindspot monitor than the camera hack they put together, but in general I'd say it really isn't necessary. Beyond being interesting there isn't much utility at all. In general, there's plenty of real estate on the screen, but if it's a choice between the animation and something actually useful (like the odometer cards) the useful component should win out.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I would have to disagree with that statement about the autopilot rendering/FSD realization, at least for me personally. I've really have come to enjoy knowing what the car is "seeing" and look at that rendering far more than the large map. I can certainly see the viewpoint that the FSD realization is a waste of space, but the way I tend to think, I just really like knowing what the car is "seeing". When I've driven other cars since getting my MYP, especially ones that has some sort of a car icon in the instrument cluster, I find that I really miss having it represent what the car is actually seeing.
Okay… I guess my only question would be… why?

From a coolness factor sure, it’s cool. Does this serve any utility/improve the driving experience though? The always on visualization makes sense in the S/X because there’s a dedicated screen for it. It’s not making anything else you’d interact with more difficult to reach for having, but the 3 and Y have about a 1/5th of the screen permanently taken up by visualization that most people look at once and go “huh, cool!” And show it off whenever anybody checks out their Tesla for the first time. For all intents and purposes you could just stick a a dat boi gif there and the driving experience would be the same.

It serves 0 utility. If you’re using it to actively determine whether or not you’re going to have to intervene with autopilot/FSD, that’s an awful idea. Judging by some forum posts I’ve see on here using it as a blind spot monitor isn’t a bulletproof one either.

I mean no disrespect, but I don’t see how “I like looking at visuals while driving” is a good argument for why it’s a boon. I would love to at the very least have the option to resize it.

Can someone tell me when the dashboard cam is on or off for ex. Does the red dot mean it is recording or not?

When are the auto heat seaters on or off? Dark grey or light grey?
+1, this conttol-state confusion has been one of my concerns with the Tesla UI even before v11. That and the so-fashionable small-font and low-contrast color scheme. One of my recent comments:
...the oval Navigate on Autopilot button turns blue when in the ON state. You may have noticed that this is the exact opposite of the same-styled blue buttons used on the Tesla website for ordering cars and accessories - on there, it means "Click here if you want to take this action". For NoA it means "you already took this action".

This lack of current-state clarity it's one of my pet peeves about the Tesla UI (not just the recent update, but generally for a long time).

There are some places where Current State is fairly clear, mainly for the options that show a slide-switch icon. But there are plenty of examples where the Current State is not clear. Having a color that you have to know, and that isn't the same color for all controls, and that some people might have trouble seeing, is very poor UI design. Then there are the callouts, for example the ones that use the word "Open". Does that mean "Touch here to open", or does it mean "Currently Open"? Of course you can learn it by practice and experimentation, but there's no reason it can't be intuitive (as it is with the slide-switch controls).

I enjoy seeing the car's 'picture' as well, and it's actually a better blindspot monitor than the camera hack they put together, but in general I'd say it really isn't necessary. Beyond being interesting there isn't much utility at all. In general, there's plenty of real estate on the screen, but if it's a choice between the animation and something actually useful (like the odometer cards) the useful component should win out.
The frustrating thing is that there is enough screen real estate to fix most of these problems without giving up on the fairly large visualization - it doesn't have to be either/or. The screen is enormous and high-resolution compared to automotive displays of just a few years ago. They could have more controls and indicators at the top level, yet still larger, higher contrast and logically grouped.

They could back this up with an expanded, sensible and flexible voice-command suite; it's being accomplished by many of their buddies in the Bay Area. I stopped off at a car wash today, hit the button and said "Car Wash Mode" - it gave me a navigation list of car washes, come on...

The complaints (other than the inevitable "they changed it" complaint) are coming from an ill-conceived insistence on some kind of subtle minimalist design ethos, when what is needed is a low-frustration UI that prioritizes fast and intuitive access without lingering over the off-axis center screen . Low-frustration doesn't mean "do it my way"; it means
  • don't make me guess categories
  • don't make me guess current state
  • don't make it hard to hit a touch target without staring and/or steadying against the bezel
  • don't make me squint or lean over if I'm old enough to need reading glasses
  • provide multiple sensible and stylistically consistent paths to get to any non-top-level control
  • Preferably, provide some well-supported levels of UI customization
For optional voice interaction, it means
  • Understand natural language requests that any human in the car would clearly understand
  • Respond with audible speech confirmation or clarification request, not a message on the screen
  • Support the voice command option for practically anything that one might need to change while the car is moving

I have had my MYLR for just 3 days. The thing that has really disappointed me is the lack of a front camera while parking. I parked 2 feet behind the white line at Costco, because there was no car in front of me. So the proximity sensor was of no use. A camera at the grill height would have done the job. I miss the 360 view parking assist of my old 2017 Lexus SUV. We have another 2020 Lexus 450 Rxh SUV which we are going to keep for some time before thinking of a Tesla. The small tire wall height give a real bumpy ride. I miss the car play too, but it is not a deal breaker as much as the lack of camera's for assisting forward direction car parking.
Radar used to show the front distance. Vision Only kinda ruined that bonus feature for parking.

Please, please. First, I had 2012 MCU. The software update have never ever worked. Ever. My SC just gave up with all he SW problem. Finally, Tesla offered the Infotainment upgrade. Help desk said I have latest MCU 2 software updates. I'm happy.
Second. Nothing will make everyone happy, ever. If the iPad u r driving is not what you want, sell it and get another one. U will get that chance in 5 years when the others have an iPad to drive.
Third. Gas or no gas? I've saved enough in 200k to buy another car. I tell everyone who drives my car, "" if u don't drive it, the ROI, won't matter.
As I said. We will never be totally happy, it is what it is,. Love it or hate it. That's the free world we live in.

The complaints (other than the inevitable "they changed it" complaint) are coming from an ill-conceived insistence on some kind of subtle minimalist design ethos, when what is needed is a low-frustration UI that prioritizes fast and intuitive access without lingering over the off-axis center screen.
Totally agree with your entire post, but I had to highlight this one amazingly-constructed beautifully-stated summary of the overarching issue. This needs to be posted on a wall somewhere in the bowels of the UI design lab, and made mandatory to be read aloud by all developers hourly.

I mean no disrespect, but I don’t see how “I like looking at visuals while driving” is a good argument for why it’s a boon. I would love to at the very least have the option to resize it.

Yup.

As stated over and over by Tesla, you are supposed to be monitoring the environment and be able to take over at any moment... in other words, you as the driver are supposed to be monitoring THE REAL WORLD by looking out the windshield, side windows, and in the mirrors to catch the things that the car misses... you are not supposed to allow yourself to be mesmerized by the screen.

Keith

Reactions: HellsKitchen
You get promoted from Engineer to Manager

That's not really a "promotion" though

It's just an implicit acknowledgement that the people you work for don't really value technical skills and only value people who are ... like them

So they "promote" you to a job you're not necessarily any good at and aren't really interested in but have to take if you want to "advance" in your career. It's exactly the same where I work. Probably has been in every place I've worked (as a software developer)

</rant>

Radar used to show the front distance. Vision Only kinda ruined that bonus feature for parking.
Well you can still see the distance, but that distance is for above 8" above the ground. With the current system, it does not pick up the curb. Plus, if you are parking say at a grocery store parking, and there is no car in front of your Tesla, you have no idea how far behind you are of the white line. What is the point of seeing the back view on dash cam when parking in forward direction. I just can't believe in a $60k car they can't afford a $20 parking camera. Forget the 360 view camera.

Reactions: 101dals
That's not really a "promotion" though

It's just an implicit acknowledgement that the people you work for don't really value technical skills and only value people who are ... like them

So they "promote" you to a job you're not necessarily any good at and aren't really interested in but have to take if you want to "advance" in your career. It's exactly the same where I work. Probably has been in every place I've worked (as a software developer)

</rant>
Agree to some extent. But because many perks come at each promotion, many technical people give up the joys of the technical work and decide to chase status and perks and more. But you are right, those who are not competent in technical work seek out the executive track and feel most comfortable in promoting not technical people like themselves.

Okay… I guess my only question would be… why?

From a coolness factor sure, it’s cool. Does this serve any utility/improve the driving experience though? The always on visualization makes sense in the S/X because there’s a dedicated screen for it. It’s not making anything else you’d interact with more difficult to reach for having, but the 3 and Y have about a 1/5th of the screen permanently taken up by visualization that most people look at once and go “huh, cool!” And show it off whenever anybody checks out their Tesla for the first time. For all intents and purposes you could just stick a a dat boi gif there and the driving experience would be the same.

It serves 0 utility. If you’re using it to actively determine whether or not you’re going to have to intervene with autopilot/FSD, that’s an awful idea. Judging by some forum posts I’ve see on here using it as a blind spot monitor isn’t a bulletproof one either.

I don't really have a good reason for liking the FSD realization other than I just like knowing what the car is seeing. It's a level of information I personally enjoy having. It could just be me. I don't actually "use" it for anything, so in that sense it doesn't offer any utility. But it's something I definitely want to have in this car. So I think that boils down to how I tend to think compared to someone else.

I would welcome a resize option for the FSD realization/map, but I suspect I might actually make the FSD realization bigger sometimes.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I enjoy seeing the car's 'picture' as well, and it's actually a better blindspot monitor than the camera hack they put together

Be VERY careful with this "trick". The car frequently will not display vehicles that are present and you'll find yourself in an at-fault collision because you decided the entire history of the mirror was a mistake.

But just got my wife a 2019 X3, returning to the bmw brand after two beloved Tesla’s and I have to say my first reaction after instantly setting up wireless CarPlay which worked flawlessly, and then plugged in my much worked on USB stick of 3000 great songs to see beautiful big album art, and lots of ways to search and browse through everything, I told my wife…”I may be driving your car more than you think”

This Tesla Holiday UI fiasco is really making me sad.

Never driven anything better than my MY Boost, but the UI is such a big part of the experience driving, and it is just sooooooo frustrating and poor.

Thx for listening :(
I understand. I am also a bit frustrated. But I also believe that if the new interface continues to get bad reviews, Tesla will change it. I’ve had mine 4 years and there has been significant improvement over time. This is the first change that has been met with any backlash. So I encourage you to hang in there with optimism.

Or like continuously bashing your head against a brick wall. The pain never goes away, but eventually it's just normal, you don't even think about it.

I'm resigned to v11. Still on v10, so I'm deliberately playing with turning on/off the steering wheel heater, to try to get a baseline for how stuff will be buried in menus. I figured out a safe way to do it, even in heavy workload driving (merging from I5 South to I90 East in Seattle).

It's doable. Quick glance at a safe time, click once. Wait until another safe time to glance again, click again. Wait again, glance, click again. SUPER fast glancing, clicking without looking. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but I'm a grown up, I'll put up with it.

The music mess sounds pretty bad though. Guess we'll have to find new workarounds.
AKA the merge from hell

Reactions: OxBrew
We are going to try 18" wheels, maybe a 55 profile.
Please let me know how it works. That would reduce the problem of frequent flat tires, bumpy rides and also curb rim rash. I drove to Rogers Tesla this evening and I could feel the bumps on the freeway. My previous Lexus SUV was much more smoother ride. Tesla Model Y is cool, but is not a luxury car by any means. BTW, I did not see any new cars for delivery in Rogers.